Is it religions fault that the discrimination against the GLBT exists?

Views: 1461

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

but it still exist just like homosexuality which is also a behavior.  Oh and murderers, like homosexuals, have traits.. You can call me a troll if I fit YOUR definition. 

Since behaviors are learned, you'd need someone to teach it to you. Supposed for a moment a boy grows up in a conservative Catholic home, goes to church every Sunday, and is told that homosexuality is a sin... 

How is it that they can still be gay? After all there's no one there to teach them the behavior... 

I hope that doesn't mean all of the bullies will win out and we will revert back to cave men 

He made it quite clear. Anyine who reads the post without emotional baggage would have understood him easily.

To add to your argument. 

I would like to state that we should not make assumptions about who is more fit for survival. Lest you find yourself(zach) on the chopping block. 

lol

Bravo , well said and good for the two family's that choose their children over their , idiot religions ......  My cousin always told me I was( unfit)

because I had so many gay friends, then later when he was in his 40's , he came out himself. he even got married once to a women, and it lasted a few weeks , He was a psych major and now a psychologist   and  never did apologize to me, I pity his poor patients today . Not because he is gay but because he is a hypocrite...... 

Your baggage is getting in the way of understanding what Zach meant. His unfit comment refers to the idea that they are biologically unfit because they are not passing on their genes...something that may be registered at the subconscious level. He is not stating that these people ARE unfit...Did you read his entire post?

Thank-you. :)

Maybe I do put a-little too much emphasis on instinct as a mechanism against homophobic behavior. It may be more about cultural forces, pushing for norms (but I see that as an instinct too, so it is kind-of the same thing). I still see homosexuality as biologically un-fit. That does not imply that it is a bad thing, but it does not allow easily for the passing of genes to the next generation. They can be fit in assisting in the rearing of relative's children (passing-on a fraction of their genes), but everyone does that (generally). But just because it is un-fit does not make it a bad thing.

Also, though, I find your statement that a more religious a family is, the more likely they are to reject homosexuality is close to a "hard and fast rule" or some obvious trend. I was trying to explain why maybe these religious ideals may have developed in the first place from a biological (leading to cultural) perspective.

Zach.. 

Whether it's from the parents, friends, community or the Bible, homophobia is none-the-less a learned behavior and as such can be unlearned. I see it as no different than smoking in that respect and as such, like smoking, can be unlearned if the person in question desires to break that behavior. 

The only reason one would be uncomfortable with it is because its been ingrained in them that it was wrong. As Rich mentioned, it's occurs in many other animal species besides ours, so that says to me its a natural thing. 

Now, since some religions are about suppression of physical desires while at the same time encouraging their followers to be fruitful and multiply, it then stands to reason they'd be against behaviors which wouldn't encourage that. Behaviors such as homosexuality.. So basically the answer to W.E's question would be .. 

Yes, religion would be the reason in most cases for homophobia and discrimination against the GLBT community.  

The worst things about ( religion ) is that it always excludes people ..... in the worst ways 

RSS

Forum

Deepak's challenge

Started by Davis Goodman in Small Talk. Last reply by Belle Rose 1 hour ago. 20 Replies

It happened

Started by Belle Rose in Atheist Parenting. Last reply by Davis Goodman 3 hours ago. 70 Replies

Disorders of Sex Development

Started by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp in Small Talk. Last reply by Tor Hershman 5 hours ago. 3 Replies

Living freely.

Started by Quincy Maxwell in Society. Last reply by Gallup's Mirror 8 hours ago. 21 Replies

What is the purpose of gender

Started by Christopher Swicegood in Small Talk. Last reply by Heather Spoonheim yesterday. 56 Replies

Events

Blog Posts

Labels

Posted by Quincy Maxwell on July 20, 2014 at 9:37pm 0 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service