I want your honest opinions here. Please read the following link about why men rape.

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/features/why-men-want-to-rape...

I will be honest. The thought that this might be true is freeing. I am recovering from multiple rapes throughout my life. For the past 24 hours I have been very sick. I have been retraumatized and now I am trying to get centered to where I feel safe again. I don't feel safe right now. I want to know why so many men have raped me. Why??? So I just googled "why men rape" and I found this article. It seems like a theory that has been dismissed, yet it is the first time I have ever read that rape is an evolutionary adaptation to mating. Do you realize how freeing this is for me????? If this is true then it really does mean that 1. I am truly NOT to blame, and 2. I am not a "victim" of violence. I know that probably doesn't make sense to you, but in a twisted sort of way it gives me my power back to accept that the men who have hurt me throughout my life.....all of them....were doing so because of an evolutionary drive, not because there was or is anything wrong with ME!

For years I have been told that MY boundaries are weak. And I am sure (I know) this is true. But I am not any more "weak" or "soft" than many women, and I am sick of racking my brain trying to figure out what I did wrong and how to "fix" myself. What if I don't need fixing? What if I am just fine? What if WE need to take a look as a society to realize our own understanding of rape is incomplete? I understand the worry that sex offenders will use this defense to their benefit, but the current judicial system here in the U.S really does no justice. Rapists are rarely prosecuted anyway. What if it REALLY is not my fault.....but furthermore.....what of there isn't a DAMN thing wrong with me?

Do you think rape is an evolved adaptation as this article suggests? Or is it an act of violence as we have always been told? Or am I just too fucked up to know what I'm saying right now? I am sick, and tired, and I am afraid to face the world, because I don't feel safe at all. So I don't know if anyone even can identify with me. I don't know.

Views: 2119

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Actually, a study was done once where a large percentage of college girls admitted to saying no when they didn;t really mean it. It's a tactic for making sex the guy's responsibility.

It doesn't seem illogical that rape would be a survival strategy, thus within the realm of biology. If one takes a quick peek at rapists they generally don't appear to be the ones most gifted at reading emotions or were ahead of the line when looks where distributed. Forcing oneself upon the other sex as a means to ensure offspring would explain many facets of why men are over represented, though far from the only ones, that rapes.

At this point it would probably be a good idea to separate rape into two categories, those who generally involves force (in essence criminal law) and those who involve a breach of consent (essentially contract law). The former would be, by reasons of biology, overwhelmingly be done by men, and it's what most tend to think of as rape.

Assuming we are within the realm of the criminal law, then as to your question, you are never to be blamed for being raped (though it's always a good idea to learn from past paths chosen which led to an undesirable outcome). If having been raped did include violence you have, of course, been violently attacked. I was punched repeatedly to the face and head a while back, and though it may have a biological desire to assert territorial dominance by the attacker, I was still the victim of violence. The whys are subordinated to the whats, as in the rationale behind actions are less important to the description of events.  

I'm not quite sure when or where or why you came to the conclusion that an attack on you would imply something wrong with you (I find it a bit of a silly conclusion, tbh). It is quite possible that you have been attacked due to evolutionary pressures on the men, though that doesn't detract from the fact that you were the victim of unacceptable behavior. Assuming that similar evolutionary pressures face all men, it would also be a poor excuse why only a small minority attacked you.

Seeing as the past is unchangeable I have taken the choice of not dwelling on it, though since the past is the best lesson I have also taken the decision to learn whatever I can from it.   

Bull.

Maybe in some aspects Yes, but it doesnt work when 5 men rape two children and then hang them from a tree.  There is NO way those children will give birth to strong babies, BECAUSE THEY ARE DEAD. 

It's their FAULT because they had to go outside to use the ground toilet. and it's both of their faults because they went together for "safety".

It may be ROOTED in biology and evolution, but modern men have taken it to an extreme that can only cause it to be weeded out.  Let's say we kill all rapists and abort all foetuses generated by them. It no longer becomes a desirable trait for the selfish gene anymore. But that is what happens when you do something that is more harmful to your species than the good it will bring by one new birth.  Killing your victims doesn't expand the gene pool and so many rapes also involve murder so that it breaks the argument. As well as rape of babies and children who aren't in puberty. It makes no sense biologically to mate with someone who can't produce or to kill that person after spending the valuable semen to impregnate.

As well as the rape of elderly, or the rape of same sex victims.  how does biology explain any of those.  Is our biology so stupid that it doesn't know how to reproduce so it seeks out children and infertile partners?

" Is our biology so stupid that it doesn't know how to reproduce so it seeks out children and infertile partners?"

One MAY be able to argue they are biological misfirings of a sort....

There are trains of thought out there (yes, some professional) that state that rape is somewhat of an evolutionary anomaly; that despite laws, moral, communal and societal pressures, certain statistical occurences of rape are inevitable.  But as members of a species that, despite evolutionary tendencies, have the capacity to conduct and advance ourselves beyond primordial statistics we should still strive to eradicate it from our profile.  On a more personal note; It is almost unfathomable that anyone would accept that there are "victims" by design or by nature or that there is anything wrong with a person that has suffered as you have.  Often the circle in which people travel , work, or live, has something to do with increasing the liklihood statistically.  I commend you for sharing your story and fears and hope that information will free you from the notion that you are meant to be a victim.  Take care

I just want to quickly apologize here if I may.  I did not realize that this was a link and responded earlier as though I were addressing the lady in the story directly.  My apologies; I should look closer at the discussion next time.  Thanks :)

Very troubling that you would consider it to be "freeing" that men may have evolved to rape. As someone who has been victim to sexual violence (a lot) and has worked with many victims, the problem with this idea of it being "freeing" is that it pretty much gives men permission to rape. It suggests that they can't help themselves and so we can just accept that this is the way things are. This helps neither the victim nor the aggressor. If it were accurate, it wouldn't matter how we felt about it, but in my studies of evolution, it seems highly unlikely that rape, as we know it, is an evolved trait.

Men who rape typically don't want the victim to get pregnant, and often enough, the victim is someone who is aged beyond the ability to get pregnant. If men were evolved to do this as an "adaptation to mating", as you wrote, there would be driving factors that would encourage them to choose a victim that may be considered a prime mate. There are particular physiological features that signal to potential mates that a woman is fertile, capable of nourishing a child, etc, that evolution allegedly drives men to desire. Women who exhibit these traits are no more likely to be raped than anyone else, and raping males just doesn't work as a mating strategy. Furthermore, men who rape often take precautions to ensure that their victim does not become pregnant. Sometimes the victim may be beaten in an effort the discourage impregnation, sometimes rapists use condoms, and victims of intimate partner violence may be forced to use birth control or even be subjected to an abortion following the rape. Rape is generally considered a crime of "control" not a "sexual" crime. It's considered to be rarely about sex - technically.

Rape is never the victims fault. It would be impossible for it to be. No victim says to her rapist "rape me" - if she did, it wouldn't be rape. There's nothing anyone can do to force someone else to do such things to them. Each individual makes their own choices, and each rapist actively chooses to commit rape.

As for evolution producing rapists; I don't claim to actually know anything, but I strongly believe that it just doesn't make sense, and I didn't actually read the article, I merely read your question.

So, I did look at the article and unfortunately, I must disagree with you. You are obviously hurting and angry, but believing something because you're hurting and angry is bad reasoning. Simply because someone is a "scientist" does not mean they are giving accurate information, nor should there be trust based on the researcher. Trust should be based on a convergence of evidence, on many researchers finding the same "answers", not on how we feel about any given "answers". For whatever it is that someone wants to believe, there will almost invariably be a scientist (or several) who "proves" that what is desired to be so is actually so. This is the same problem with creationist-scientists proving the age of the earth to be 6 000 years old, etc.

Rape is psychological, not biological.

Failed to mention: why have you been raped so many times? Many people have. That, too, is psychological. Men sometimes do, but don't usually target strong women, but rather women who seem vulnerable and easy to gain control over. This is not a fault of the victim, but it can be, as others seem to have indicated, a result of 'victim mentality' where once someone has been made a victim (often in childhood, as another responder stated), that person feels like a victim, and in turn acts like a victim. Victims are unfortunately easy targets. There's a lot more to this, but I haven't time just now to expound.

If you want to talk with someone knowledgeable about why so many times. . I recommend calling 1 800 799 7233.

Very troubling that you would consider it to be "freeing" that men may have evolved to rape. As someone who has been victim to sexual violence (a lot) and has worked with many victims, the problem with this idea of it being "freeing" is that it pretty much gives men permission to rape. It suggests that they can't help themselves and so we can just accept that this is the way things are.

That occurred to me too. I still wonder what (if any) conclusions should be drawn, as the process of evolution rarely attaches to a moral or value-laden analysis. I.e., even if rape has "evolved" in some way, what can/should humans do about it? What if slavery first evolved as a positive survival mechanism? Or religion? What if there's even an inheritable, epigenetic trait involved? Then maybe the question is about what should be done by culture in spite of evolution's natural selection process.

" Then maybe the question is about what should be done by culture in spite of evolution's natural selection process."

This.

Let's say shitting on other humans was an evolutionary process.  If someone shat on me, it wouldn't make me feel any better knowing that evolution drove the action.  

Belle, it appears to me, that you are trying perhaps too hard to resolve your self professed extensive experience in being the victim of rape. 

That's why I think it's healthier to state my opinion that victims of rapists DO in fact have certain things about themselves that make them targets of rapists. 

This obviously isn't to say there is something "wrong with you." - Simply, that you, are a target of rapists.  If you wish to not be a target of rapists then you may consider changing what is it that may be a part of being a target. 

But sadly, rape counselors will ALWAYS claim that there is NOTHING that a woman could EVER DO that could POSSIBLY be the result of a rape and that 100% of the blame is ALWAYS on the rapist and 0% blame is put on the VICTIM.

My last paragraph is what annoys me the most.  That it seems to prevent anyone who is the victim of multiple rapes to get themselves out of the cycle.  

But sadly, rape counselors will ALWAYS claim that there is NOTHING that a woman could EVER DO that could POSSIBLY be the result of a rape and that 100% of the blame is ALWAYS on the rapist and 0% blame is put on the VICTIM.

Jeebus, at first this sounded like someone pulling the carpet out from beneath ALL HOPE, but then (fortunately) I noticed that at least you didn't say "ALL rape counselors".

Still, where the hell did that come from?

RSS

© 2018   Created by Rebel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service