I want your honest opinions here. Please read the following link about why men rape.

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/features/why-men-want-to-rape...

I will be honest. The thought that this might be true is freeing. I am recovering from multiple rapes throughout my life. For the past 24 hours I have been very sick. I have been retraumatized and now I am trying to get centered to where I feel safe again. I don't feel safe right now. I want to know why so many men have raped me. Why??? So I just googled "why men rape" and I found this article. It seems like a theory that has been dismissed, yet it is the first time I have ever read that rape is an evolutionary adaptation to mating. Do you realize how freeing this is for me????? If this is true then it really does mean that 1. I am truly NOT to blame, and 2. I am not a "victim" of violence. I know that probably doesn't make sense to you, but in a twisted sort of way it gives me my power back to accept that the men who have hurt me throughout my life.....all of them....were doing so because of an evolutionary drive, not because there was or is anything wrong with ME!

For years I have been told that MY boundaries are weak. And I am sure (I know) this is true. But I am not any more "weak" or "soft" than many women, and I am sick of racking my brain trying to figure out what I did wrong and how to "fix" myself. What if I don't need fixing? What if I am just fine? What if WE need to take a look as a society to realize our own understanding of rape is incomplete? I understand the worry that sex offenders will use this defense to their benefit, but the current judicial system here in the U.S really does no justice. Rapists are rarely prosecuted anyway. What if it REALLY is not my fault.....but furthermore.....what of there isn't a DAMN thing wrong with me?

Do you think rape is an evolved adaptation as this article suggests? Or is it an act of violence as we have always been told? Or am I just too fucked up to know what I'm saying right now? I am sick, and tired, and I am afraid to face the world, because I don't feel safe at all. So I don't know if anyone even can identify with me. I don't know.

Views: 1722

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's complicated, and I think too many people and group-thinkers try to push simple conclusions. I'd like to jump in, but need more time. Maybe by the weekend.

It seems that often, people who have been abused as children carry on being abused later on.  It's like they are marked out as "people who get abused".  This isn't their fault and the original abuse wasn't their fault - what child can control what happens to it? 

I can't understand rape.  I think it's an act of sexual domination or gratification. 

I am somewhat confused.  Even if the article you shared is bunk, unless you had a sign hanging around your neck asking to be raped(which kinda negates the rape part in the first place) how could it possibly be your fault?  I think just the idea falsely assumes that all rapes are committed for the same reason.  I would think there are very many variables involved in why someone rapes anyone and who that person is that they choose.  I imagine sometimes it is just opportunity.  I've read that rape isn't usually about sex but about power and control, though I imagine sex has to be some part of it and maybe even sometimes all of it.  Hard to believe it would be black and white.  I imagine you specifically were raped because you are the physically weaker of the species and the opportunity was there, maybe some irresistible attraction.  Humans can be real shitty to each other, this is just one more manifestation of our ability to be shitty.  On a related note, seen some doctor came up with what amounts to razor teeth inserts for your vagina for girls in Africa.  Oh how sorry would they be then. 

I don't know what causes it - my concern is how to avoid it.  It cannot, of course, always be avoided.  I worked at the state psychiatric hospital, to which a patient came from the Secure Psychiatric Unit at the prison.  We were told we had to treat him, basically, as rehabilitated, even though he was multiple offender over many years, and had attacked female staff in at least one facility before.

I was told I should have compassion and understanding.  I agree.  However, I did not think I should trust that man for one minute, ever, no matter why he was a serial rapist, what he had done to rehabilitate himself, etc.  I actually got in trouble for stating my concern that he could end up in the gym alone with female staff, and I wanted to know administration's plan to prevent that. 

Eventually, he went after somebody, as I thought would be the case.  My point is that I don't care what the cause is. necessarily.  What I want is for people to not be raped.  We can have increased understanding of rape and why it happens, but I'm still going to pepper spray some bastard who tries to do it to me while I'm out kayaking. 

So my response is please do whatever you need to do to be and feel safe.  I know you don't know what that is right now, but please allow someone to help you figure it out.  You can sort out everything else later. 

"Gratuitous violence is not typical of rape." 

I wonder if that statement results from numerous interviews with rape victims? It's been my impression that many rapes involve violence and brutality in order to subdue the subject of the rape. Or are the researchers saying that rapists are so kind as to use just enough violence to get the job done, and no more?

Perhaps violence is a consequence/outcome of rape, but not (always) the direct intention of the rapist.  

For instance, someone who slaughters animals for a living to provide meat to carnivores like myself - Their priority is to sell meat to people like myself - But violence, the act of taking the animals life or any pain associated with the killing was not an intention or desire, just a consequence. 

@Unseen: "The levels of violence and force involved in rape typically stop at the level needed for the goal of sexual access. Gratuitous violence is not typical of rape." They're saying that in most cases only the violence necessary to achieve the rape is used solely, not that none occurs at all. 

Rape being a mating strategy seems fairly logical in an evolutionary sense; males who did it had a good chance to spread their genes more than males who didn't.
However, evolution has never been shy to use the same item for multiple purposes. So I don't see why rape can't be both a mating strategy and a violence strategy (setting dominance, demoralizing opponenents, etc...).
It seems like the article, and also its opponents, think it can be only one or the other.

@Freek: I find a pervasive false dichotomy exists of rape being "either" an act of violence "or" sex. To me it's obviously both-hence the term "sexual violence", no? It's also not the case that all behavior has to be adaptive, just not so maladaptive that it stops your genes from being passed on entirely. Therefore, not all rapes (or any other behavior) need have adaptive utility, just enough to make a difference. 

Wow, can of worms here. That article was fascinating and explores issues and concepts that I have been investigating for many years. Craig T. Palmer and Randy Thornhill are, to my mind, very close to the mark.

Before I start on my diatribe - RAPE CANNOT BE THE FAULT OF THE FEMALE - NEVER EVER EVER, NO MATTER WHERE SHE GOES OR WHAT SORT OF REVEALING CLOTHING SHE WEARS.

For years I have been told that MY boundaries are weak. And I am sure (I know) this is true. But I am not any more "weak" or "soft" than many women, and I am sick of racking my brain trying to figure out what I did wrong and how to "fix" myself. What if I don't need fixing? What if I am just fine? What if WE need to take a look as a society to realize our own understanding of rape is incomplete? I understand the worry that sex offenders will use this defense to their benefit, but the current judicial system here in the U.S really does no justice. Rapists are rarely prosecuted anyway. What if it REALLY is not my fault.....but furthermore.....what of there isn't a DAMN thing wrong with me?

You are spot on, there is NOTHING wrong with you, you DID NOT CAUSE THIS - the rapist is the one (are the ones) with the problem. Rape is an evolutionary adaptation - the same as infanticide practiced by (usually) step fathers - but that is a whole new post. We, humans, are totally the result of our ancestors being successful - no matter how distasteful the means they used to gain their success may have been. I would surmise that everyone on the planet is only alive today because a female in their ancestral line was raped - this is only a supposition, but from all the information I have seen, including that article, it has an extremely high probability of truth.

On the question of violence, the rape of a female, by definition, requires SOME violence to restrain her due to the fact that she is NOT WILLING to engage in the sexual act. However, if the violence goes beyond that required to complete the sexual act, then, again by definition, it is simply gratuitous and the perpetrator actually has two psychological problems.

Having said all that however, I feel the need to qualify, NOT JUSTIFY, a bit,

Women CAN’T POSSIBLY understand the power of the male sex drive, it is ALMOST all consuming. To illustrate this, I remember a TV show (sadly I don’t remember the name) where a woman, a normal heterosexual woman, in a supervised experiment, took vast quantities of testosterone, she was absolutely astounded as the drug kicked in and her desire for sex went through the roof and almost beyond her control. She then had much more respect for the vast majority of men who constantly do manage to restrain themselves AND, was extremely glad to stop the testosterone and get back to being herself. Being of the male gender myself, I can vouch for the power of the male sex drive.

The closest I can get to providing women with an understanding of the male sex drive, is to equate it with the drive of the female to have a baby - I have never, and can never experience that drive, but from what I have seen and read, it has virtually the same power to dominate female thinking.

The solution to rape, apart from castration, is to educate men and encourage them to use their intellect, not their instinct. As humans, we are only too keen to deny that we are all driven by very basic and strong instincts - that denial causes SOOOOO much pain in our world, war, religion, rape, child abuse, violence in general and countless other problems that our societies are far too scared or ignorant to address.

As a species, we need to grow up. Just before I leave, I wish toI repeat, there is NO EXCUSE FOR RAPE.

Greg, I've been thinking about your comment since you first posted it. I want to thank you for the time and thoughtfulness that you put into your reply. 

Belle, thank you for addressing this. I wish you the best in all that you do. 

Good science requires detachment, and Palmer and Thornhill certainly demonstrate their detachment.

From the article:

...a key to female reproductive success was mating with, and only with, the highest quality men available.

Are Palmer and Thornhill detached enough to study the quality of men who rape?

They owe the scientific community such a study.

About the drives, which vary at least by the amount of testosterone in males and estrogen(?) in women.

Men reveal excess T with rape. Women reveal excess E(?) by choosing low quality partners.

RSS

Forum

The Shinto Flower among the Weeds of Religion

Started by Cato Rigas in Advice. Last reply by Simon Mathews 29 minutes ago. 1 Reply

What would happen...

Started by Griffin Buckerfield in Small Talk. Last reply by Simon Mathews 2 hours ago. 3 Replies

"I'm Christian and I vote."

Started by Ed in Small Talk. Last reply by Pope Beanie 13 hours ago. 39 Replies

Blog Posts

Life Condensed

Posted by Cato Rigas on October 19, 2014 at 8:30pm 0 Comments

Cool Vehicle Inspection!

Posted by Ed on October 18, 2014 at 9:03am 1 Comment

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service