I am offended by the idea of prayer. Am I in the minority here? Prayer, in my opinion, is the act of pretending you are doing something when in fact, you are doing nothing. This is worse than simply doing nothing.

If I fall ill and find myself in a hospital bed, a friend handing me a "get well soon" card will mean so much more to me than a friend offering prayers. Simply saying "I'll pray for you" is nothing more than an insult. Prayer is a cop-out when you can't be arsed to actually contribute.

Again I ask, is it just me?

Tags: dave, ethics, morals, prayer

Views: 292

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sometimes. I feel frustrated. I was recently out with a friends who was having problems at her work with her boss.  After explaining to me the situation, she asked for my advice.  I gave her (what i thought was) valid advice , told her to talk to her boss and work things out.  She then replied, "ehh, I just really need to pray about it."  What a slap in the face, not to mention a waste a time.

Some, not all, people use prayer as a substitute for action, and that is when it boils.

I think that prayer can be a fear tactic...People get into the habit of praying because they are afraid that if they don't, something bad will happen to them or to the people they love. Or, they think that if they plead hard enough, a bad situation will turn out okay, or that they will get what they want. I remember many nights when I prayed so hard, hoping that something in my life would finally change, and I never got a response...It's always been a matter of me working my ass off and rolling with the punches. I finally had to realize that I was doing it out of fear, not because it was "working."

RSS

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service