SEOUL, March 30 (Reuters) - North Korea said on Saturday it was entering a "state of war" with South Korea in a continuing escalation of tough rhetoric against Seoul and Washington after coming under international sanctions for its nuclear test.

"From this time on, the North-South relations will be entering the state of war and all issues raised between the North and the South will be handled accordingly," a statement carried by the North's official KCNA news agency said. (source)

Experts on CNN were saying that what's happening is really spurred by the North Korean military not the young Kim Jong Un. They also say it's mostly for internal consumption, trying to make the new leader look strong and forceful to a society that still reveres age. Internally, he has been demoting and firing top military officers. It may be that, through him, the most hard of the hard liners in the military are consolidating their power.

The military experts on CNN said that they doubted North Korea would follow up on any of its threats against the U.S. or South Korea. In fact, they'd be crazy. Why? Because they'd lose, despite having the fourth largest army in the world. And they could hardly expect much help from China. North Korea is pretty much a drag on the Chinese economy, with North Korea needing to suck at their teat due to the fact that its economy is a total shambles. 

And why would China want to see the U.S. defeated, what with the steady flow of cash from here to there due to all the American debt China owns. The U.S. is their golden goose right now. 

China is so pissed off and North Korea that for the first time ever they have joined in with international sanctions against North Korea. 

All that said, North Korea is making strides in terms of ballistic missile development, so they will be more of a worry in the future.

Those are my thoughts. What are yours?

Tags: Korea, North, South

Views: 1011

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm not confident that he could be raised as the grandson of a 'god' and turn out even close to sane.  That being said, if he decided to invade South Korea it would probably be his for the taking.  The western world will not stand behind a nuclear attack on Pyongyang and the NK military would not be an easy force to slow down otherwise.

During my lifetime, each time the topic of war comes up I hear all the rubes talking about precision 'surgical' strikes and 'immediate dominance' on the battlefield - yet the west still has soldiers dying in Afghanistan and nobody even remembers why we went there.

A war with North Korea would make Afghanistan look like a water fight.  NK has a huge professional army of soldiers who believe their leader is a god.  Their people have been pumped with anti-western rhetoric that likely has them thinking they'll all be raped and tortured, possibly being forced into same sex marriages, should the west ever take control of their lands.  It would be a terrifying land to occupy and controlling the population would be about as likely as walking into an Evangelical Mega-Church and converting the entire congregation to Atheism with one sermon.

Mr. Un may be nuts, but he is also capable of unleashing a horrible catastrophe that doesn't end well for anyone.

I don't believe N. Korea has the money to wage a war without the support of China, which it had in the 50's but no longer does.

They have ammunition and 3 years reserves of soured cabbage - what else do they need?

I can't think of a thing, sounds like they've got it all wrapped up!

And where have I said anything rude about their Kimchi?  It is, in fact, soured cabbage.  Please explain the 'ignorance' - or is this just some personal attack?

I don't recall anyone "trashing on South Koreans."

Ya think?!

I respect your passion and your loyalty - I lived in Mexico for a number of years, and defend Mexicans as passionately (though possibly with more tact), as you do South Koreans.

Yogurt is soured milk, wine is soured grapes, kimchi is soured cabbage.  Move out of your father's basement and get a life.  I haven't trashed SK - you've just decided to make a personal attack that is as pathetic as your life.

I think you're jumping to conclusions. Those army boots you saw in the basement belong to the mother.

Please state that faulty premise.  Do not worry about hurting my feelings -> I would actually have to have some respect for you before your opinion could affect me emotionally.

True about a long-term war like in Afghanistan, but NK could probably wipe out millions in less than a month, if so ordered. They're ready and willing to jump from posturing and bluster into quick, deadly force. As miserable as the country has been, I think they could even be suicidal.

North Korea is testing the water, in search of paper tigers - mixed metaphor, but no less accurate.

RSS

Blog Posts

People

Posted by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp on July 28, 2014 at 10:27pm 4 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service