Discussions of justice tend to be very intellectual and high-minded. We think of it as one of the most important functions of The State.

However, famous civil rights attorney and law professor Avery Friedman, in commenting on the unexpected acquittal of Caylee Anthony for murdering her daughter, explained the decision by saying "Of course, another jury might have convicted her."

While it may seem obvious, I was floored. I actually hadn't really thought much about that before. Doesn't that comment by Prof. Friedman really mean that there really can be no such thing as justice? For if justice can't be counted on to be flawlessly consistent, is it justice at all or is it just a form of chance?

Tags: Anthony, Avery, Caylee, Friedman, justice

Views: 234

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Chance, no. Money, yes. Justice is available to the highest bidder - this country offers the best justice money can buy.

Spot on.

All money does is take the chance out of it, but in the direction of active abuse. Whether that's better or worse I'll leave to you.

In your will, I hope - can I count on that soon?

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Favorite movie or actor/actress.

Started by Devlin Cuite in Small Talk. Last reply by Larry Joseph 1 minute ago. 8 Replies

Blog Posts

I am tired

Posted by Philip Jarrett on April 18, 2014 at 12:09am 4 Comments

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.