I count myself as fairly liberal (when forced, I describe myself as at the liberal end of the libertarian spectrum, like Larry Flynt) and I'm certainly no particular admirer of the Bush family or Republicans. I've never voted for a Republican except on the city or county level when they had been doing good work. However, I must say that Jeb Bush has been getting pilloried for simply telling the truth. In particular, some people are reading racism into some recent remarks. 

Here are the "controversial" remarks:

"Immigrants create far more businesses than native-born Americans... Immigrants are more fertile, and they love families, and they have more intact families, and they bring a younger population. Immigrants create an engine of economic prosperity."

Gee. He's even one of that small group of Republicans who is actually for substantive immigration reform.

Now, he was speaking to a conservative group, which by itself would have a lot of liberals reading every line and between, behind, and under every line for anything that might provide some sort of "Aha!" moment. We're always looking for those Republicans to say something typically Republican, which means something ignorant, racist, or sexist. And if they can't find anything as blatant as that, there's always the fall-back position: "It was insensitive." (Liberals always want to look after someone else's dellicate feelings.)

For example, more weirdness on the part of Republican males was revealed this week with Rep. Trent Franks (R-Arizona) adding yet another superstitious and non-scientific observation about women and rape.

On Thursday, the House Judiciary Committee, dominated by right-wing social extremists, voted to support legislation that would prohibit abortions after 20 weeks. When an intrepid reporter asked the  congressman why his proposal did not make exceptions for rape and incest, the representative said that the probability of a pregnancy resulting from rape was "very low." (source)

The thing is, Jeb's remarks are actually dead on, and they don't in any way say anything bad about Hispanics (because that is clearly the group he was referring to). They have a higher birth rate, as do other immigrants.

According to 2011 data from the National Center for Health Statistics, the birth rate for foreign-born women is substantially higher than that of U.S. born women, at 87.8 births per 1,000 women aged 15-44. (It was 58.9 for women born in the United States.) (source for this quote and more info on Bush's remarks)

They have large and strong families and because even poor Hispanic families—because they tend to stay intact and provide internal support for each other—are less of a burden on the welfare system than, say, the black population which, as a group, has a substantially higher rate of unstable and/or broken families than Hispanics and Asians. Speaking of Asians, they are another burgeoning racial group with strong families.

Now, out in the so-called Twitterverse, in the so-called blogosphere, on Facebook, and in the comments sections of major online political sites like HuffingtonPost.com, there's a lot of chatter calling Bush racist, though the tide seems to be turning to calling his way of expressing the facts "insensitive." I guess as time went by, and they started realizing he was just stating a bald truth, they still needed to find something negative to say.

"Insensitive"? I don't even see that. I also doubt if most Mexican-Americans could find fault with either the content of Bush's comments or his mode of expression. They certainly can't complain about his intentions.

Do you see anything racist about Jeb Bush's remarks?

Tags: Bush, Jeb, racism

Views: 274

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In the house I initially rented when we first moved to Mexico, we had a next door family, a mom, dad, and a son my oldest daughter's age. The boy spoke perfect English without any trace of an accent, his parents spoke not a word. I asked him how he had learned the language - he answered with the honesty of a child: cartoons!

I remember thinking after Obama’s second election that Jeb Bush would be the only potential nominee to challenge Hilary the next time but only if he could get the Hispanic vote. It was only a fleeting idea but is there any merit to it? I think the Rep. Party has left it too late and at its very foundation has no grasp of how it needs to reform.

The only thing that prevents me from agreeing with you entirely, is the absurd brevity of the collective American memory.

Agreed considering that now bush as an almost favorable polling ratings. How sad

The Republicans can't change enough and can't learn how to speak to racial minorities quick enough and can't purge the bigots completely enough to win any minority vote. I doubt if they even have achieved a majority of the Asian vote and the Asians have a lot more affinity with Republican ways of thinking than Hispanics and blacks.

Let us dispense with some assumptions here. The immigration Jeb Bush is referring to is both broad spectrum (all immigrants, not just hispanics) and is in regards to legal immigrants. 

Here : On average, among 100,000 non-business owning immigrants, 620 of these immigrants are likely to start a business each month. Among those born in the U.S., only 280 new businesses are likely to be started monthly.

In fact, legal immigrants to the US from almost anywhere are more likely to start businesses than us lazy Americans. Perhaps by having the courage to move away from their families (or by being forced to) they self select for a higher tolerance for risk taking. 

Regarding "fertility", immigrants have more children on average than Americans, but that does not really translate into ability to have children. I think he could have chosen better words in that regard, but by definition he is right (definition #3). 

I am not a Republican either, but I think he is usually the smart Bush. I don't think he'll run, I think his brother would advise against it.

"Prolific" would have been a better word than "fertile," which most usually refers to how healthy and productive the gonads are.

I think if Jeb decided to run, Barbara Bush would bite his head off. She's on the record against any more Bush boys running for President.

WASHINGTON - Texas Gov. Rick Perry had a bit of an "oops" moment today when he mistakenly referred to the administration's response to the attack on the American consulate in Benghazi as occurring in Lebanon instead of Libya.
"I fear where we've come to in America, where our administration won't make one phone call to save our men and women in a embassy in Lebanon," Perry said at the Faith and Freedom Coalition conference.

RSS

Forum

The Shinto Flower among the Weeds of Religion

Started by Cato Rigas in Advice. Last reply by Belle Rose 6 hours ago. 3 Replies

Awe struck

Started by Davis Goodman in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 17 hours ago. 15 Replies

"I'm Christian and I vote."

Started by Ed in Small Talk. Last reply by James Cox 17 hours ago. 40 Replies

Blog Posts

Life Condensed

Posted by Cato Rigas on October 19, 2014 at 8:30pm 1 Comment

Cool Vehicle Inspection!

Posted by Ed on October 18, 2014 at 9:03am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service