Is it okay to fire an employee for being too pretty?

The all-male Iowa Supreme Court said Friday that it would reconsider its 2012 ruling that a dentist acted legally when he fired an assistant that he found attractive simply because he and his wife viewed the woman as a threat to their marriage.

Melissa Nelson, who had sued the dentist for gender discrimination,  had fought against the court’s decision.

"Not only does this breathe new life into her court case, it eliminates what many of us believed was a harmful legal and misguided precedent," her lawyer told ABC News.

A Des Moines lawyer with no role in the case told the network that the justices will likely issue a new opinion.

"There really is no reason to grant rehearing six months after the decision was made unless someone is seriously considering changing their mind," Ryan Koopmans, the lawyer, told ABC News. "I think we'll definitely see at least one opinion in favor of Melissa, the question is whether it is the majority opinion or dissenting opinion." (read more)

Tags: attraction, employment, sexual

Views: 1186

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm a B or C cup guy, but breast size isn't a deal-breaker for me. I can certainly find myself attracted to an A or DD cup woman. Much larger than that and I think it stops being attractive. Sexually, I mean. Breasts are not a consideration when it comes to friendship with a woman.

Who doesn't like a garden gnome?

When they not only attack but start calling you names... that's gnomenclature.

Low income midget. That's funny. :) And you make a valid point.

He also said this ...

What a dick wad.

I dont even know what a dick wad is but I think he fits it right.

And yet...his wife married him. Was she thinking "Yeah, he's a jerk but, among the men who seem interested in me, he's the one most likely to be able to afford a Lamborghini some day"? Typically, dick wads don't become such suddenly, .They've been dick wads their entire life.

Urban dictionary   Dickwad, The tissue (kleenex) used to catch and mop up the ejaculate after masturbating. The tissue is then wadded into a ball and disposed of.

The UD didn't also say that it means someone is a total jerk?

Yes it did :)  I was interested in the etymology though

lol funny @ Unseen & Strega

Well she does 'seem' cute, but blaming her for having nice teeth, seems like not hiring people because they are 'over qualified', which should be coded as, 'will get my job in a heart beat'.

I remember a satirical movie from the 70's, with one scene, where the prevailing power elite tried to please the 'common folk' by legalizing mandatory empediments for people that were 'just too good'. As an example, forcing dancers to wear heavy weights on their arms and legs that would cause them to lumber around with no art or grace.      

I think I would have been willing to wear something a little 'off', just to keep the job. My problem is not beauty sadly....

RSS

Atheist Sites

Blog Posts

Rounding Up?

Posted by Carol Foley on November 20, 2014 at 3:17am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service