Is it okay to fire an employee for being too pretty?

The all-male Iowa Supreme Court said Friday that it would reconsider its 2012 ruling that a dentist acted legally when he fired an assistant that he found attractive simply because he and his wife viewed the woman as a threat to their marriage.

Melissa Nelson, who had sued the dentist for gender discrimination,  had fought against the court’s decision.

"Not only does this breathe new life into her court case, it eliminates what many of us believed was a harmful legal and misguided precedent," her lawyer told ABC News.

A Des Moines lawyer with no role in the case told the network that the justices will likely issue a new opinion.

"There really is no reason to grant rehearing six months after the decision was made unless someone is seriously considering changing their mind," Ryan Koopmans, the lawyer, told ABC News. "I think we'll definitely see at least one opinion in favor of Melissa, the question is whether it is the majority opinion or dissenting opinion." (read more)

Tags: attraction, employment, sexual

Views: 1083

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Not so keen on this

My dentist always has new assistants. So when they get too old they go out the door, so there's like few  new ones (young ones) that are hired regularly. He has the right idea!

This is so fucked up. Women just can't seem to win. Either too pretty or too ugly...I guess it doesn't matter how good you are at your job or what kind of person you are.  

It does seem that women tend to be judged on their appearance rather than their abilities. 

Men are subjected to irrational standards, too. Many a man has been hired because he talked sports better than the other applicants while others were passed over for seeming a little gay. I'm sure people of both sexes have not been hired because they were smokers or were butt ugly without regard to their talents or even track record. 

The point is that there's a long history of hiring and firing for ridiculous reasons. 

Many would argue that when it comes to a small business like a dentist office, the government should just keep hands off.

Whether it's products or services, sex sells. Imagine "Ugly Betty" in a cosmetics commercial - would never fly --

Granted. And in real life America Ferrera is actually a beautiful girl, just not skinny as a stick figure:

Oh, I know, she's very attractive. Interestingly, Mexico had it's own version of the show, different actors entirely, called, "Betty, la Fea."

I was just illustrating the point that we seem to prefer perfection - just look at all of the Ken and Barbie newscaster teams.

All kidding aside, and yes, we've done some, bottom line, is that it DOES matter how good you are at your job or what kind of person you are. 

Of course, and any business that hires and fires based on irrational or irrelevant standards does so at its own risk and makes itself less competitive. In a sense, I wonder why Melissa didn't just get a job elsewhere. Clearly, he's already said she was one of the best workers he ever had. Why does she want to work with this asshole, anyway? Or is she just interested in suing him for some college funds for her kids?

Did you really think Shakespeare was kidding when he wrote, "Hell hath no fury --"?

Studies show that women judge men based on unfair things like income and (believe it or not) height. If you're a short man with a minimum wage job few women will be interested in you even if you're brilliant and terrific in bed. And the ones who are interested will probably have low self-esteem. They'll be reasoning, "Oh well, this low-income midget is the best I can do."

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Blog Posts

Zella Mae Jarrett

Posted by Philip Jarrett on April 19, 2014 at 11:35pm 2 Comments

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com