Is it okay to fire an employee for being too pretty?

The all-male Iowa Supreme Court said Friday that it would reconsider its 2012 ruling that a dentist acted legally when he fired an assistant that he found attractive simply because he and his wife viewed the woman as a threat to their marriage.

Melissa Nelson, who had sued the dentist for gender discrimination,  had fought against the court’s decision.

"Not only does this breathe new life into her court case, it eliminates what many of us believed was a harmful legal and misguided precedent," her lawyer told ABC News.

A Des Moines lawyer with no role in the case told the network that the justices will likely issue a new opinion.

"There really is no reason to grant rehearing six months after the decision was made unless someone is seriously considering changing their mind," Ryan Koopmans, the lawyer, told ABC News. "I think we'll definitely see at least one opinion in favor of Melissa, the question is whether it is the majority opinion or dissenting opinion." (read more)

Tags: attraction, employment, sexual

Views: 1159

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Granted. And in real life America Ferrera is actually a beautiful girl, just not skinny as a stick figure:

Oh, I know, she's very attractive. Interestingly, Mexico had it's own version of the show, different actors entirely, called, "Betty, la Fea."

I was just illustrating the point that we seem to prefer perfection - just look at all of the Ken and Barbie newscaster teams.

All kidding aside, and yes, we've done some, bottom line, is that it DOES matter how good you are at your job or what kind of person you are. 

Of course, and any business that hires and fires based on irrational or irrelevant standards does so at its own risk and makes itself less competitive. In a sense, I wonder why Melissa didn't just get a job elsewhere. Clearly, he's already said she was one of the best workers he ever had. Why does she want to work with this asshole, anyway? Or is she just interested in suing him for some college funds for her kids?

Did you really think Shakespeare was kidding when he wrote, "Hell hath no fury --"?

Studies show that women judge men based on unfair things like income and (believe it or not) height. If you're a short man with a minimum wage job few women will be interested in you even if you're brilliant and terrific in bed. And the ones who are interested will probably have low self-esteem. They'll be reasoning, "Oh well, this low-income midget is the best I can do."

. women just admit they judge a man's character based on how much money do you make a year. It's one of the first few things they ask you when they first meet you. When they ask you what your job is that's exactly what they want to know. How much you're banking a  year. Just  that it doesn't sound as bad if you ask about what their job is.:D. they keep denying it though for some odd reason. I think they take males as idiots.

That's not as mercenary as it may seem, Yah, women have evolved to seek security in a mate, a good provider, which used to be the strongest, now it's the richest.

Yeah, but in today's world that's just as sexist as the guy who's only interested in women who have huge breasts and low self-esteem. Men are expected to have evolved to some extent so why not the ladies?

Perhaps it is partly because Hollywood encourages the idea of older men with younger love interests, the concept of which does not seem to be conducive to an evolved societal view of the sexual stereotype.

Well there you're up against the so-called "reptilian brain." In other words, nature makes men hardwired to respond to youth and health in women. Why youth? Years of childbearing ahead. Why health? To pass along the best genes. You see, it's all about the same thing that has male lions killing cubs sired by a different male. Mom Nature tells us to make sure our genes propagate and she's set things up so that stronger, healthier genes prevail.

No amount of well-reasoned argument is going to make a 40-110 year old woman, no matter how attractive for her age, more or even equal in physical attractiveness to a well-formed 16-25 year old. (And, yeah, I know a 16 year old is underage, but that's a legal distinction and any male who wants to stay out of prison will stay away from "jailbait" girls, but at the same time to think that a guy doesn't get a rush out of seeing an attractive 16 year old is just to put one's head in the sand.)

Evolution doesn't work that fast, fortunately, learning does - men have learned to pretend not to be "only interested in women who have huge breasts and low self-esteem."

(personally, I prefer smaller breasts, but that may be TMI)

RSS

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service