Is it okay to fire an employee for being too pretty?

The all-male Iowa Supreme Court said Friday that it would reconsider its 2012 ruling that a dentist acted legally when he fired an assistant that he found attractive simply because he and his wife viewed the woman as a threat to their marriage.

Melissa Nelson, who had sued the dentist for gender discrimination,  had fought against the court’s decision.

"Not only does this breathe new life into her court case, it eliminates what many of us believed was a harmful legal and misguided precedent," her lawyer told ABC News.

A Des Moines lawyer with no role in the case told the network that the justices will likely issue a new opinion.

"There really is no reason to grant rehearing six months after the decision was made unless someone is seriously considering changing their mind," Ryan Koopmans, the lawyer, told ABC News. "I think we'll definitely see at least one opinion in favor of Melissa, the question is whether it is the majority opinion or dissenting opinion." (read more)

Tags: attraction, employment, sexual

Views: 1167

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That's a bit superficial, Chica - the things they've shared throughout their relationship should count for something - despite the fact that men are more dependent on visual stimulation than women, it's not all about just looks.

If I had grown with a woman, who as I did, changed incrementally, day by day, fifty years later, I would have found her just as beautiful as on day one, because as she changed, so would have my perceptions.

I sent my parents a dozen roses on their 50th anniversary - alas, that was not to be my destiny..

I am way too sexy for my shirts but that is a problem for other people if they can't handle that.

Only in idiotic "right to work" states.

The Pastor, the wife, and the Dentist needs to be slapped in the face for being bunch of childish intolerant idiots. Especially the Dentist, text messaging her and asking her how often she has orgasms. That pervert should be the one fired. 

I don't think you can be fired from your own business.

no I know I was just saying in General.

I bet she has them more often then HE does, not counting the ones he gives himself thinking about *****ing her.

*****ing her.

I'm struggling to place this word.... did you mean to use five *s?

What if you're a madam, and you run a brothel?  Then it would be weird to fire your employee for being too pretty. 

Brothel of ugly people... never forget rule 34, it also applies to prostitutes.

I would NEVER do that! Too ugly? I'm thinkin', I'm thinkin' --

You know, I wish there were photos of this dental assistant in her tight clothing, or even a bikini (or garter belt setup). I could make much better sense of this case that way. 

Someone cannot be fired because their boss wants to hump their leg and the boss' wife is insecure.  That is not a legal reason for firing someone.  

RSS

Forum

Awe struck

Started by Davis Goodman in Small Talk. Last reply by Tom Sarbeck 18 minutes ago. 22 Replies

The Shinto Flower among the Weeds of Religion

Started by Cato Rigas in Advice. Last reply by Ward Cressin 5 hours ago. 7 Replies

In Defense of ‘Islamophobia’

Started by Brian Daurelle in Society. Last reply by Erock68la 7 hours ago. 46 Replies

Blog Posts

A Life-Changing Confrontation

Posted by Belle Rose on October 23, 2014 at 2:55am 1 Comment

Life Condensed

Posted by Cato Rigas on October 19, 2014 at 8:30pm 3 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service