The Spiritual Atheist..

If the purpose of speech is to convey a message. And an atheist calls himself spiritual. Isn't that person misrepresenting himself by using a word that is most largely viewed to be synonymous with "soul"? Even if he himself has his own unique meaning for it (which takes a 5 minute video to understand)

Let's be honest most people hear the word spirit and think soul.. don't they?

It seems like a way of justifying for no reason. If there is a lack of a better word... make a new one. To me I find that people are kind of ridiculed or perceived in a derogatory way if they admit or "come out" with believing they do not have a soul. Like you are somehow less of a person, lacking mystery, etc.. So when someone tries to find a convoluted means of explaining why they call themselves "spiritual". I feel that they are pandering to this unfortunate misperception.

Tags: souls, spirit

Views: 1933

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'll drink to that !

Dragotron,

The word soul can be misleading. It comes from the pagan belief in the immortality of the soul, which lives on after death. The word basically has the implication of binding, because the pagans would bind the corpse in order to keep the soul from harming the dead. When the Bible translates the Hebrew and Greek the closest thing they can come up with is soul. The original Bible writers didn't use those words to mean an immortal part of a person continuing on after death. It meant the living breathing person or animal. It's life, its blood, its experiences.

The word spirit means any invisible active force. Like wind, breath, mental inclination, God's Active force (Holy Spirit) or spirit beings. Anything that we can't see but which produces results. So to me, the spirit and soul are different, but connected. For example, the ancient Hebrews were instructed by law to pour out the blood of any living creature they intended to eat, because the blood is the soul, in a sense. Life. Sacred. Pouring the blood out signified that one respected what was sacred to God and acknowledging that he gave us the right to take the flesh of an animal, but return the soul to God.

Since blood is the means of distributing oxygen, our breath, they are connected in a sense, but not the same.

Apostate religion adopted the pagan teachings of the immortal soul and spirit through the influence of Greek philosophy.

If spirituality is the knowledge that there are unseen influences in our lives this certainly has some practical applications. Think of culture and tradition and the subtle influences these sorts of things might have on all of us, religious or not.

On a related note, there is also spiritism, which Paul warned against. It comes from the Greek word pharmakia, which means drugs. The influence that drugs can have on the primitive people, for example, they use drugs to gain access to the spirit world.

So, Henson, what your saying is that throughout the Gospels, when Yeshua (Jesus) mentioned the soul having eternal life, he didn't realize that he was referring to a pagan myth, and not something arranged by his dad? Sorta pulls the plug on his divinity, doesn't it? David Henson just said his Savior didn't know what he was talking about.

You do realize of course, that to followers of Odin, Christians are the pagans --

Arch,

The word soul wasn't used until Jesus' words were translated much later. The New Catholic Encyclopedia says: “Nepes [Hebrew ne′phesh] is a term of far greater extension than our ‘soul,’ signifying life (Ex 21.23; Dt 19.21) and its various vital manifestations: breathing (Gn 35.18; Jb 41.13[21]), blood [Gn 9.4; Dt 12.23; Ps 140(141).8], desire (2 Sm 3.21; Prv 23.2). The soul in the OT means not a part of man, but the whole man—man as a living being. Similarly, in the N[ew] T[estament] it signifies human life: the life of an individual, conscious subject (Mt 2.20; 6.25; Lk 12.22-23; 14.26; Jn 10.11, 15, 17; 13.37).”—1967, Vol. XIII, p. 467.

In the early 1960's the Jewish Publication Society of America decided to completely remove the word soul from its Bible, replacing it with a transliteration. Because it really is an unfortunate translation.

Ezekiel 18:4 says the soul dies.

To save one's soul from destruction implies one is resurrected to eternal life.

And yes, I do realize that to others the Christians are the pagans. In a basic sense to be pagan means to be outside of. The word was first applied to those living outside of the cities, who were the last to receive the Gospel.

RE: "Nepes [Hebrew ne′phesh] is a term of far greater extension than our ‘soul'" - how can that be said by ANYone without a definition of "soul'? 'Soul' must be defined, as well as 'Ne'phesh,' before any comparison can be made.

Otherwise, we're saying, "My whatchamacallit is better than your thingamajig!"

Arch, I suppose it depends upon the interpreter. Is the soul the same to the Greek Philosopher Plato as it is to Dragotron? Or the native American? Or the ancient Israelite? Or the atheist?

That was well interesting! You literally taught me loads of new stuff!! Cheers

Ben,

I was reading it over and caught a mistake as I often do. The corpses were bound in order to keep the soul from harming the living. Not the dead. Sorry. And thanks.

I agree interesting stuff in there.. thanks!

I believe my point still stands, however, as a matter of semantics... The origins of many words can be debated and the axiomatic meaning of a word is very often at odds with it's etymological roots... but the purpose of communication is conveying a message. And who thinks of "blood" when they think of the soul?

Where did you get this info? I'd like o hear more about it.

Dragotron,

The info comes from years of Bible study. Though most of Christianity teach the immortal soul from Socrates the Jehovah's Witnesses, for example, refuse blood transfusions or to eat blood or use blood products. Even some makers of plywood use animal blood for their glue.

You can ask me anything on the spirit, or soul and I would be glad to give you my findings.

RE: "You can ask me anything on the spirit, or soul and I would be glad to give you my findings." - if I ever need an expert on things invisible, I'll know where to look - oh wait, I HAVE one:

"The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike."
-- Delos B. McKowan --

"The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike."

Yes, but spirituality does not need to be about the invisible. Some 'types' of the invisible does exist, the non-existent, not so much. At some level an atheist spirituality might be mostly an opinion, about a feeling, which is very rarified at the least...LOL

RSS

Blog Posts

What do you do with the anger?

Posted by dataguy on September 20, 2014 at 5:12pm 3 Comments

Aftermath

Posted by Belle Rose on September 20, 2014 at 2:42am 5 Comments

Ads

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service