Is Intelligent Design Really Intelligent? A paper I had to do for english

I was given the opportunity to do a paper in my English class on Intelligent Design. I only had 2 1/2 hours to write it and this is what I came up with. I had very limited use of the internet and it was NOT a research paper. The professor is (I think) Christian and knows that I am an Atheist. She was very excited to read my paper. I am posting it here because I would like feed back on the arguments I presented. I told her without proper research my ideas might have a few holes in them and she understood completely, again this was for an English paper.

Any help on the ideas I presented would be greatly appreciated :) I hope this is in the right forum.....

Is Intelligent Design Really Intelligent?

Is life on earth the result of intelligent design or did it all happen by chance? Intelligent design (or ID) is the theory that a superior being put the universe into motion. The majority of people who believe in intelligent design also believe it goes further than that, that God has a hand in our every day life. A smaller percentage believe that we are here due to evolution, that everything happened by chance. From my point of view Chance seems more logical. The ideology of Intelligent design does not justify birth defects; it can not be proven in the science lab; and is not an adequate argument for “gaps” in science.

A disturbing problem with the theory of Intelligent design is the overwhelming amount of birth defects, both structural and functional/developmental. Birth defects are caused by defects in our genes as well as environmental hazards. Intelligent design, with the accompanying belief in God, is that humans should be perfect. We were made by God in his image. Perfect. If that were true then our genetic code would not mutate. Hence there would be no birth defects and/or genetic mutations/mishaps. This however is not the case. The Center for Disease Control states that 120,000 babies in the United States are born with birth defects each year. If you look at this situation through the scope of evolution you will see that mutations in genetic code fit very well into the science of evolution.

The way our species has evolved over time has brought us to become a science dependant race. Everything from understanding our place in the solar system, to the atoms and molecules that make up our bodies, to the types of foods we can safely ingest, we got from scientifically testing theories, which is the reason we have the answers to those questions. Intelligent design is not a probable or acceptable theory due to lack of being able to test it which is why the scientific community does not recognize it.

There are some who view science as a great tool of the human race, however they can not let go of the emotion that accompanies Intelligent Design. They see the gaps in science as unexplainable and therefore attribute these unexplainable instances to ID. This is called using the God of Gaps rationalization. Using this argument is not conducive to science because everyday science is understanding more and more about the universe and the world in which we live. At one point in time science thought the earth was flat, but due to exploration, we came to the conclusion that the earth was in fact round. This is the way that science works.

Intelligent design, as fascinating as it might seem to some, is not a theory of scientific measures at this point in time. It simply plays on the emotions, as opposed to the intellect, of humans. So in the words of Christopher Hitchens I leave you with this “Exceptional claims demand exceptional evidence.", and Intelligent Design does not give exceptional evidence.

Tags: College, Design, ID, Intelligent, course, work

Views: 190

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

DG specifically stated 'religious and otherwise', your portraying it as blaming all problems on religion is dishonest.
You can have Hope and dreams even with being an Atheist.  Your hopes and your dreams are just transfered from a future heaven to life on Earth and either your children or the other people on this planet.

Children disappoint, or are taken from us, this life never turns out like we dream, people cannot be trusted to hold your "hope" in their hands, I'd much rather place my hope in God.

I don't know if you are TOO stupid - not for me to judge.  I am saying that you are demonstrating several basic flaws in logic, which I'm sure will be pointed out to you as you continue to troll- er, post.  But understanding the logical fallacies of Circular Reasoning and Mere Assertion should be a staple for any visitor here.

Atheism isn't offering anything - it simply points out that there is no basis for believing in your system's (or any system that features invisible superbeings) offer.

And MY world isn't a "crap hole." Sorry about yours.

Dan Dan Dan!,

You ARE being judgmental! How is my logic flawed? So far I think I'm doing pretty well holding my own against those that reply to my posts. I'm not trolling either, I'm just a bored house wife tired of talking nonsense with a four year old. Is that considered trolling? Maybe it is. Sorry.

Trolling, in this case, is logging on to an atheism-oriented site, espousing Christian... whatever, and failing to understand basic logical fallacies.  I'm not judging your "stupid" (your word).  I am judging your use of logic, and it is flawed. 

And it's cute that you think you're doing well.

ummmm yeah, it's considered trolling. And are there not thousands out christian sites on the internet where you could be "wasting" (your word not mine) your time on, you know, instead of playing and engaging with your 4 year old? just sayin'...

LOL I love it adriana! I don't talk nonsense to mine either ;)

There are many reasons to believe in a real living God. Hope, for one, I need something better than what atheism has to offer in order to exist in this crap hole of a world.

Just to be clear, does the fact that I hope the Easter Bunny exists entitle me to believe in it and call myself reasonable? Also, when it's raining outside, I often hope it stops in the next 2 seconds. It usually doesn't.

As for atheism, I think it has something extremely valuable to offer - freedom. Atheism gave me back many things religion has taken away from me. It opened my mind and my soul (figuratively speaking, of course). I can't speak for others, but as atheism gave me back my curiosity and imagination, I now see the world as more beautiful than every one of us could ever comprehend. For me, this world is not a crap hole, but a world of colors, music and most importantly, smiles and laughter, in one word - happiness. I contend that you could go to your nearest beach and, if you really look at the sand (with your "mind's eyes" too), you would see that in every single one of those grains of sand there is more beauty than in whatever concept of god you might have. That's because, as Neil DeGrasse Tyson once beautifully said, we exist in the Universe but the Universe exists in us as well.

And don't think that I see the world so beautiful because I have the easiest of lives. It's just that science and imagination combined, not only freed me from the shackles of religion, but also showed me the world as it really is. No longer am I confined to experiencing the world only through my senses, but I can also experience it with my mind, something I couldn't do nearly as well when I lived in the confusion of religion and ignorance.

And finally, what I want to say is that atheism is a reasonable lack of belief, not just another opinion. Atheism is supported by the lack of evidence for the veracity of godly claims and it is therefore mathematically probable... extremely probable. As infinite possibilities exist, everyone of them is highly improbable if not supported by evidence. Atheism is the simple conclusion that not one single claim about the existence of a god, be it Christian, Muslim, Ancient Greek, Viking and so on, has ever been supported by its share of evidence. As such, it is mathematically demonstrable that the existence of a god is extremely improbable.

Irrelevant. The person making the positive claim (in this case, your claim that there is a god) is the one required to present evidence to support their claim. You cannot prove that there are no leprechauns, but this does not mean that they do exist.
Look, all I'm saying is the majority of the people on this planet find believing in God preferable, to believing in, let's face it, nothing or what amounts to nothing. Are you going to tell a mother that just lost her child that she will never see them again, just because that makes you feel smart. Poof, your gone, never to exist again. What, pray tell is the point of that.
I'd rather be foolish in your eyes than without hope in something better for myself and those I love.
That is why my unprovable belief in God makes so much sense to a world that suffers. Maybe people on this site haven't faced enough difficulty (although I doubt it) to need something more.

In a way I'm sorry for you. There is no hope that exists for you. Nothing to look forward to, nothing to believe in, nothing other than the monotonous drivel of your contemporaries to fill up your life. Sorry if that offends.

"Are you going to tell a mother that just lost her child that she will never see them again, just because that makes you feel smart. Poof, your gone, never to exist again. What, pray tell is the point of that."

The point is to appreciate the life we have and the people around us while we have the chance, and to not take them for granted or hold out for some magical afterlife.

"I'd rather be foolish in your eyes than without hope in something better for myself and those I love."

I'd rather do my best to help my loved ones fulfill their hopes in the time they have in this life.

"There is no hope that exists for you. Nothing to look forward to, nothing to believe in, nothing other than the monotonous drivel of your contemporaries to fill up your life."

Many of us can appreciate what we have now.  There is plenty of beauty and joy to experience in the world we live in now.  There is plenty to do to try to improve the conditions of life on this planet.  Why waste the present on banking on the future?

RSS

Forum

The Elephant in the Room...

Started by Belle Rose in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 1 hour ago. 3 Replies

Ear-piercing a baby

Started by Simon Mathews in Atheist Parenting. Last reply by Erock68la 6 hours ago. 25 Replies

My Grandpa died last week

Started by Physeter in Small Talk. Last reply by Pope Beanie 7 hours ago. 9 Replies

Torture Report release today

Started by Unseen in Ethics & Morals. Last reply by Pope Beanie 9 hours ago. 134 Replies

Is There Any Ex-Mennonites or Ex-Amish On This Site?

Started by Jessica Miller in Advice. Last reply by Belle Rose 16 hours ago. 27 Replies

Blog Posts

How did that happen?

Posted by Belle Rose on December 19, 2014 at 4:36am 6 Comments

Pabst Blue Ribbon to the rescue!

Posted by Ed on December 15, 2014 at 9:33pm 0 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service