According to the Bible, it's been calculated that "God" killed over 2 million people. How? He burned them, smote them, and plagued them. According to 2 Chr. 21: 14-19, God killed Jehoram by making his bowels fall out, and the 250 people burned to death for offering incense (Numbers 16:35). He killed Lot's wife for looking back, hung the 7 sons of Saul, the 15,000 people who complained in Numbers 16: 49. Let us not forget the 7 plagues he released upon Egypt, and the killing of the first born son of every house with lambs blood atop the door frame.

Stated in the Bible, the "Devil" was only calculated to kill 10 people, and that is in a bet against "God" in Job 1: 1-19 where Job's 7 sons and 3 daughters were killed in a test to show Job's faith.

Thus, after stating all this, if "God" existed, would he be the one to blame for putting the violent tyranny acts of war into man's mind? Could he be the one to blame for showing us that force will sometimes help you what you desire; as in "God's" case where it was disciplined followers.

Views: 76

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well, Just look at the Book of Joshua and the taking of Jericho !

Joshua's army slaughtered thousends of innocent people just to get to Jericho..

I consider Joshua the 1st Terrorist.. In the same vain as Bin Laden

However, "God" told Joshua to go to Jericho, thus stating that he put the idea to kill thousands of people into Joshua's head. Without the influence "God," then Joshua never would have done such an act don't you think?
The first ever successful inception!

and he said to them, " The LORD God of Israel commands you to strap on your swords and go through the camp, killing your relatives, your friends, and your neighbors." 

Exodus 32:27

God is not the cause of war anymore than the tooth fairy is the cause of teeth falling out. Now religion on the other hand...
My sentiments exactly!
We didn't go to war because of "God" but we were attacked on 9/11 because of "God" and Islamic terrorism is precisely because of "Allah" is inscribed by the quran and hadith. Therefore, even in these conflicts and future conflicts (such as with the Islamic Republic) military action may be necessary again due to the extremist, maniacal, and apocalyptic beliefs of such Islamic radicals and terrorists.
When I was writing this thread, I was not ascertaining it to the current war occurring over in Iraq, but more of the overall idea of war. Is it not possible by through the acts that were written is the Bible that you can say "God" was in fact a sadist tyrant?
the BIBLE GOD IS THE ULTIMATE HITLER OF ALL TIME bwaahahah
Hi Michael,

I've repeated here, many times, that the Abrahamic religions have been THE most persistently divisive influence in the history of mankind.  But they're just an influence.  It's the unscrupulous men who have used these monotheistic religions for greed and power who are really responsible for wars and other obscene atrocities.

Religion is at the base of a traditional society's culture.  It informs these societies at every level.  Harsh punishments, judgmentalism, intolerance and violence are justified by scripture.  And by demanding that adherents believe in impossible things, these religions induce adherents to be gullible and irrational.  Religion prepares adherents to be malleable in the hands of despots and tyrants.

But it's not just religions.  Any ideology that can be treated as gospel could be used to control and subjugate society.  It's tempting, as atheists, to put all the blame on religion but it's actually ruthless men and mindless masses who inflict the harm.

“What luck for rulers, that men do not think.”  ~Adolf Hitler

“The great mass of people will more easily fall victim to a big lie than to a small one.”  ~Adolf Hitler

“If you tell a lie long enough, loud enough, and often enough, the people will believe it.”  ~Adolf Hitler

Although you have a strong, highly researched, valid point, that wasn't the overall idea of this thread. Moreso, I question if through "God's" sadistic acts of tyranny that he drove man to act in such a way. As I commented earlier on another post, without the influence of man, there wouldn't be dog fights; could you say that, figuratively speaking, we are now the dogs and "God" is man?

@Michael Rose:

I did indeed answer both of your questions.  Here's the questions you asked . . .

Thus, after stating all this, if "God" existed, would he be the one to blame for putting the violent tyranny acts of war into man's mind? [1] Could he be the one to blame for showing us that force will sometimes help you what you desire; as in "God's" case where it was disciplined followers. [2]

My answer asserted that God (through religion) is an influence but the blame rightly belongs to the power-hungry men who commandeer religion for their own reasons.  That answers the first question.  It also asserts that God (through religion) prepares adherents to be malleable in the hands of despots and tyrants.  That answers the second question.

Perhaps you don't recognize the answers because I used the words religion or scripture in place of God.  That's because I'm accustomed to phrasing my words as legitimately as I can.  There is no God.  People know God through their religions and scriptures.  God does not influence anybody because he doesn't exist.  However, scriptures and the religions based on them DO exist and it is these that actually do the influencing.

RSS

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service