"Equal pay for equal work." Sounds good, but is that always fair?

It seems to me that equal pay for equal work is fair if the work truly is 100% equal, and if determining what equal work is is interpreted rather broadly.

Why do I say "broadly"? Because I think most business managers will agree that pay should reflect "value to the company" even more than work output.

What makes an employee valuable to the company? Willingness to 'go the extra mile' would be one thing. Willingness to stay late if needed, or come in on the weekend, for example.

Flexibility is another. Time flexibility as just mentioned would be one example, but also willingness to do what's asked even if it isn't in the job description is another. Willingness to travel when needed, especially on short notice. Willingness to relocate, if needed. 

Those things make one valuable to the company.

Agree or disagree?

Views: 406

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Depends on the quality of their work.

A person with good quality and quantity is more valuable if they can do twice as much twice as fast. That only happens with experience and longevity...

And yet, employers obsessed with wringing the most out of their employees at the expense of creating an unpleasant and unfriendly workplace can count on high turnover.

Then it can be said that for some companies, high turnover enables higher profit.

As I said, it's more complicated than the bumper sticker slogan "Equal pay for equal work."

RSS

© 2021   Created by Rebel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service