You all know how every religion has replaced or destroyed the previous religion throughout history. Do you think that Islam, Christianity, Hinduism, etc. are the last religion or is there one that is going to replace it?

Views: 537

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I can only image that religion will be reduced in prevalence in industrialized countries and the world as the developing world continues to develop but will always be present in some form. The wonderful thing about unfalsifiable nonsense is there is no limit to it. There will be new strains of "isms" and "anitys" as long as there are people to come up with them as it was people who came up with them all in the first place. 

Yes.
Religion will , unfortunately , exist as long as people fear death .
And Hell!

Irrational woo thinking will always predispose people to believe all kinds of absolute nonsense. The internet is a good antidote to this at least in the developed world. However, I do believe anthropomorphic monotheism will eventually die out. 

I think Asimov had a great answer to this, when he wrote "The Last Question".  Here is the plot summary, which even though it is only a summary, captures the story wonderfully...

Well if growth is any indicator Islam will overtake Chrisitianity in the next century. the Bahai faith looks like the only new Abrahamic religion that has a chance, although very small. trends do look similiar for that religion for widespread adoption asimilar to it's predecessors. Although some of the tenents of that religion will inhibit fast growth. the numbers are still relativley low. 1.7% growth or about 130k new Bahai's every year. this does not look to out pace "non religious" affiliated people. the "non religious" does seem to be the fastest growing population in europe for many years now and seems to out paces even islam. So right now i would bet on islam with a dark hourse being the bahai's.

Made me think of this:

“If every trace of any single religion were wiped out and nothing were passed on, it would never be created exactly that way again. There might be some other nonsense in its place, but not that exact nonsense. If all of science were wiped out, it would still be true and someone would find a way to figure it all out again.”

Penn Jillette

Don't fool yourslf. There will always be people who need the crutch of magical thinking.

Religion will always exist in one form or another.

Even Christianity has evolved over the 2000 years it has been around.
The church may go away, but the belief in the supernatural will stick around for a long, long time.

I agree, why stop now? Over 3700 supernatural beings, of which 2870 are considered deities. They are grouped in the following subcategories:
AFRICAN GODS
AUSTRALIAN GODS
AZTEC GODS
CARIBBEAN GODS
CELTIC GODS
CHINESE GODS
EGYPTIAN GODS
FINNISH GODS
GREEK GODS
INCAN GODS
INDIAN GODS
JAPANESE GODS
MAYAN GODS
MESOPOTAMIAN GODS
MIDDLE-EASTERN GODS
NATIVE AMERICAN GODS
NORSE GODS
OCEANIC GODS
ROMAN GODS
SLAVIC and BALTIC GODS
SOUTH AMERICAN GODS
SOUTH-EAST ASIAN GODS
TIBETAN GODS
And the Abrahamic gods, which includes the Jewish, Christian and Muslim god.

from:http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_gods_and_goddesses_are_there_in_...

RSS

Blog Posts

PI = 4

Posted by _Robert_ on September 16, 2014 at 8:53pm 4 Comments

Invictus

Posted by Marinda on September 11, 2014 at 4:08pm 0 Comments

Ads

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service