Just read an article taking place in Nova Scotia, where a Christian was suspended for wearing a Jesus shirt, which really seems like the polar opposite of what goes on in the States. In the US he'd probably be suspended for wearing an atheism related shirt and praised for wearing the Christian one. What do you think about this?

Views: 347

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Then again it's also a matter of how they interpret their own rules. 

I think in the US the comparable case would be the "Bong Hits for Jesus" case. There, a high schooler was suspended for publicly displaying that sign (away from any school function if I recall correctly). The US Supreme Court upheld the suspension noting that although the government would have no business punishing an adult for that behavior, high school students can be subject to stricter rules of decorum.

By that analysis, the suspension of the Canadian student is probably okay. He was disciplined after being told repeatedly that wearing a shirt saying "Life is Wasted Without Jesus" is offensive to some people (like, say, wearing a "Bong Hits for Jesus" shirt). The principal had told him that if he had worn a shirt saying "My Life is Wasted Without Jesus," that would've been fine.

I'm don't have a strong opinion about whether this kid really should've been suspended. I'm just giving a quickie legal analysis.

John... Yes, he lived across the street from the school and was in his own yard.

I think the problem lies more in the message.  

The shirt states "LIFE IS WASTED WITHOUT JESUS".  This statement can be offensive to people of other faiths, or those of no faith. Had the shirt just stated "JESUS ROCKS!", I don't think too many people would have cared.  

I agree, the message is an uncompromising and highly contentious statement that could cause a lot of offence to a lot of different people.

Sounds like the kid got in trouble for being obnoxious and disrespectful more than anything. It's good to see there's some policy in place for dealing with douchery.

Still, we should probably go ahead and annex Canada just in case.

Actually, annexing MEXICO may be the only way to deal with their cartels. Canada is a good neighbor, for the most part, and Mexico wants to be, I'm sure, but they are overwhelmed by the drug cartels who corrupt and bully every aspect of Mexico that might oppose them, from the government at all levels, to the police and army, and now increasingly judges and journalists. The latter is probably the saddest. As the saying goes, "In any war, the first victim is always the truth."

RSS

Forum

Sunday Disassembly

Started by Reg The Fronkey Farmer in Society. Last reply by Simon Paynton 33 minutes ago. 10 Replies

Awe struck

Started by Davis Goodman in Small Talk. Last reply by Tom Sarbeck 56 minutes ago. 29 Replies

In Defense of ‘Islamophobia’

Started by Brian Daurelle in Society. Last reply by Tom Sarbeck 1 hour ago. 50 Replies

Blog Posts

A Life-Changing Confrontation

Posted by Belle Rose on October 23, 2014 at 2:55am 3 Comments

Life Condensed

Posted by Cato Rigas on October 19, 2014 at 8:30pm 3 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service