Is belief in global warming much different than religion?

Tags: al, belief, blind, climate, global, gore, warming

Views: 1627

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

In other words, strong enough data to make the case for man made climate crisis does not exist.

So, just as I can't get excited about God (no good data), it's the same reason I can't get excited about man made climate crisis. 

As for consensus, "Science," Richard Feynman once said, is "the belief in the ignorance of experts."

Science is based on facts and evidence, not consensus. 

Science is based on facts and evidence, not consensus.

Ultimately, the facts and evidence seem to get hijacked by both sides. What's a man to do?

If you are requiring data that has gone uncontested, then in such a highly politicized topic, you won't find any. Every time good information is produced it is lambasted by someone with a vested interest in claiming it's wrong. That's how things go in this age of information and rapid response PR. It's not far different from how the gasoline companies found people to say leaded gas was safe or cigarette companies to say that their product doesn't cause cancer. Among the scientific community, the consensus is there and the data is accepted. Those who don't accept it have reproduced the data and gotten the same results. Case in point: Richard Muller. He was a "climate skeptic" funded by the Koch brothers, adamant climate change denialists, to come up with his own data to determine if the world was actually warming, because they suspected the data they had to be unreliable. Here's what he found:

Unlike previous efforts, the temperature data from various sources was not homogenised by hand – a key criticism by climate sceptics. Instead, the statistical analysis was "completely automated to reduce human bias". The Best team concluded that, despite their deeper analysis, their own findings closely matched the previous temperature reconstructions, "but with reduced uncertainty".

Last October, the Best team published results that showed the average global land temperature has risen by about 1C since the mid-1950s. But the team did not look for possible fingerprints to explain this warming. The latest data analysis reached much further back in time but, crucially, also searched for the most likely cause of the rise by plotting the upward temperature curve against suspected "forcings". It analysed the warming impact of solar activity – a popular theory among climate sceptics – but found that, over the past 250 years, the contribution of the sun has been "consistent with zero". Volcanic eruptions were found to have caused short dips in the temperature rise in the period 1750–1850, but "only weak analogues" in the 20th century.

"Much to my surprise, by far the best match came to the record of atmospheric carbon dioxide, measured from atmospheric samples and air trapped in polar ice," said Muller. "While this doesn't prove that global warming is caused by human greenhouse gases, it is currently the best explanation we have found, and sets the bar for alternative explanations."

Thanks for the informative post.

I'm not claiming anything except confusion. I don't know. I don't know what to make of man made climate change. I'm not convinced that any call to action has been established.

I get facts about opinions and opinions about facts.

I appreciate everyone's contribution to this thread by the way. Again, I only mean to illustrate my confusion and rather than feeling fearful, I am left disinterested in the notion of man made climate change crisis thingee.

I'm about to shout and I'm asking your pardon in advance.

WHY HAS NO ONE HERE TOLD ANDY IT'S OKAY IF HE DOESN'T BELIEVE?

C'mon, post your reasons for witnessing to him.

I wasn't aware he was a small child.

Check your data source on my age. I'm an adult. And at 5'11" I would not say that I am small. Although I only weigh about 160 lbs, less than most of my contemporaries.

I think Tom was urging others to recognize that the subject matter is controversial, and the fervor of some is, honestly, disturbing. 

If you are an adult, then certainly you do not need me to tell you that you do not need to adopt my position. Certainly you do not need me to give you permission to feel okay about disagreement?

I think Tom was urging others to recognize that the subject matter is controversial, and the fervor of some is, honestly, disturbing. 

If you're going to level allegations of such a nature, make a case. Don't just give us hollow characterizations, but demonstrate actual religious fervor. Other wise, it's just an ad hom, and a cheap shot.

There's belief and then there's suspension of belief. Denying evolution and AGW requires the latter.

AGW?

Al Gore Worldview??

Anthropogenic Global Warming. 

RSS

Blog Posts

The tale of the twelve officers

Posted by Davis Goodman on August 27, 2014 at 3:04am 4 Comments

Birthday Present

Posted by Caila Rowe on August 26, 2014 at 1:29am 8 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service