Is atheism predicated partially on the belief in evolution and the current prevailing views of science.

If so, then such a belief is subject to drastic changes as discoveries and theories

have recently arose that shatter the paradigm that is the foundation of such a belief:

Discoveries keep pushing back the inception of civilization, indefinitely back in time

Evidence of coastal civilizations existing during the ice age are arising in now inundated coastal region due to rising seas.

The concept of a missing link is no longer postulated as a bush of hominids lineages walked  the earth. With what was once considered ancestors, actually being contemporary with postulated descendants. A bush of hominids actually existed as recently as 30,0000 B.C.E.

Though theories of evolution abound no working scientific model exists for the emergence of life.

Our very existence is interwoven with the anthropic principle. As such this has required scientist to postulate the multiverse to explain how the anthropic principle is mindlessly satisfied by nature. However this just substitutes one unfalsifiable believe for another.

In truth, Darwin's world has been shattered and the truth has become intractable. Even as we cope with dark matter and energy. Terms that falsely connote that we have defined them, when in fact they are no more apparent than God. As such new scientific theories continue to emerge based on the inadequacy of the standard model. This will continue into infinitum since, as God there is no means to detect these alleged entities with scientific instrumentation.

Views: 4023

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here's another cool quote (but I can't remember from whom):

Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved.

When science postulates something that up until now has been invisible, it does not have the arrogance (or insecurity?) to declare it as an eternal, unquestionable truth.

And here's another cool idea based on observation rather than faith/arrogance: It seems that complex, organic compounds have been discovered in other star systems, but not all. What if this discovery makes it easier to discover life (and perhaps even intelligent life) on other planets, as we learn better the best places to look for it? The Bible or the GodDitIt theory can't predict this kind of stuff.

Yikes, I'll bet science eventually heals more cripples than Jesus ever did. How's *that* for a scientifically reasonable prediction? I'd like very much for you to disagree with me here, on record. Medicine will heal more and more cripples, and without invoking miracles or faith.

Paulo - RE: "It seems that complex, organic compounds have been discovered in other star systems, but not all."

The quantity and diversity of complex, organic compounds in a particular star system depends on how many times the constituent atoms of that particular system have been part of super novae. It takes three supernovae for the atoms of a star system, such as Sol, to create the element Au 79 - gold.

Since you and I and gold exist on the same planet, that means that our collective, constituent atoms have experienced condensation into a massive star and been hurrled out into space in the subsequent super nova that consequently occurred, only to have the material reassemble and a similar event to happen two more times. I didn't feel a thing, did you?

Yes it is arrogant that life must begin with baryonic material that we can taste, see and touch. Life has no limits with respects to framework. Many science now at least  acknowledge that it can  possibly be present in a plasma or cloud. But I say, why limit it to the baryonic world? UFOs have been observed to move through the sky and make impossible turns, as if they are massless. If something were not subject the Higgs field that the Hadron LHC is attempting to find then by by all means you would expect to see motion as if the body were lacking inertia. IF there is a pre-existing universe that non-baryonic beings existed (call them angels, aliens) in, I would expect them to be free from  the laws of physics that govern baryonic matter subject to the Higgs field.

Well, I was the first to use the word arrogant, so I'll take my lumps here. Well played.

What I was trying to say is that when a religionist tries to point out all the things that science can't answer yet, it completely ignores all the millions of questions science has already answered, and will continue to answer. Science doesn't come up with a theory set in stone, like dogma. Science questions itself and keeps working out the kinks, because of its willingness to self-reflect and self-doubt, and not just stick to someone's imposed dogma.

Newton's research informed us and paved the way to put humans on the moon, but even Newton's science wasn't perfect or final. Einstein added to Newton, but even Einstein couldn't answer all the new questions. Science succeeds not because of arrogant belief that refuses to be scrutinized, but because it does NOT hang on to beliefs just because they are traditional, not even traditional scientific beliefs.

Various versions of dogmatic certainty will forever remain stagnant, by definition; in arrogant defiance of new ideas and discoveries. I'm not just saying that about your religiousity, but you know as well as I do how most "other" religion of the world has their own religious brand of arrogant refusal to be scrutinized or enlightened by people of a different faith, or different view of reality.

Unlike religion, science is not afraid of saying, "I don't know."

The Darwinist Theory of Evolution has NOT been overturned or disproven in any way.  Over the years, new discoveries have led to refinements in the theory, while at the same time strengthening it.  The Theory of Evolution is the ONLY scientific theory ever presented for the ongoing development and extinction of species that has stood the test of time.  God is NOT a theory. He is not even a hypotheis.  At best, He is a wild conjecture totally devoid of any kind of scientific evidence.  EVOUTION RULES!

This discussion is limited to hominid evolution. And you find debate, debate...

No. Although the Darwinian theory seems to imply atheism given its 'blind' nature, the absence of such a (naturalistic) theory does not necessitate a supernatural explanation. It would merely be a gap in knowledge. I think evolution in a way supplements it; if it was opaque to anyone that we can gaze at the world intelligibly without expecting it to watch us back - let alone with any interest, the theory in a way makes the plausibility of it more apparent.

I get cues that someone is watching and authoring the future.  From fulfilled prophecies. I only get that from Judeo-Christian writings. Also indepedent of Scripture, I see phenomenal coincidences.

Lately, Refinery problems east and west happening at the same time. With the landing of the Mars explorer a ufo occured in the distance which may be be a jetisoned stage but a phenomenal coincidence nonetheless, according to mission control. As I was posting on the pagan origins of church steeples and spires and the prohibition against standing images before the Temple in Jerusalem, in the past, a earthquake struck Washington D.C., cracking the Washington Monument.  Vatican City, Roman Empire and Rosary Beads, individually add up to 666, assigning A=50 through Z=75, NERO CAESAR adds up to 666 in Hebrew. He is responsible for setting hundreds of Christians on fire on Vatican Hill to give light to Rome, etc and etc. And by the way there is a giant standing image on Vatican hill, in St. Peters square. It will most certainly crack one day.

So how many data points do you need to determine a 'signal', or to determine that another person is wacko?

I leave this an open question.

RE: "there is a giant standing image on Vatican hill, in St. Peters square. It will most certainly crack one day"

This man can predict entropy - truly a prophet!

If you are refering to the natural tendency of the Universe to lead to disorder, no. This will be a direct act of God and through his emmissaries "These shall hate the Woman and burn her flesh with fire, for God has put in their hearts to fulfill his will." She has burnt the Holy and Elect on Vatican Hill. And on the same hill and City (Babylon) shall she be burnt. Athema Marantha!

RSS

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service