Is atheism predicated partially on the belief in evolution and the current prevailing views of science.

If so, then such a belief is subject to drastic changes as discoveries and theories

have recently arose that shatter the paradigm that is the foundation of such a belief:

Discoveries keep pushing back the inception of civilization, indefinitely back in time

Evidence of coastal civilizations existing during the ice age are arising in now inundated coastal region due to rising seas.

The concept of a missing link is no longer postulated as a bush of hominids lineages walked  the earth. With what was once considered ancestors, actually being contemporary with postulated descendants. A bush of hominids actually existed as recently as 30,0000 B.C.E.

Though theories of evolution abound no working scientific model exists for the emergence of life.

Our very existence is interwoven with the anthropic principle. As such this has required scientist to postulate the multiverse to explain how the anthropic principle is mindlessly satisfied by nature. However this just substitutes one unfalsifiable believe for another.

In truth, Darwin's world has been shattered and the truth has become intractable. Even as we cope with dark matter and energy. Terms that falsely connote that we have defined them, when in fact they are no more apparent than God. As such new scientific theories continue to emerge based on the inadequacy of the standard model. This will continue into infinitum since, as God there is no means to detect these alleged entities with scientific instrumentation.

Views: 4028

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Correct

The theory of evolution does not attempt to explain the emergence of life.  Frankly, I do not really need to know how we got here.  I have read about the possible ways in which life could have arisen here (or elsewhere, for that matter), and the scientific possibilities make much more sense to me than believing a book that says an invisible man in the sky made us to look like him.  

I believe life exists because of matter, forces, and time interact, and eventually some chemical setup occurs that becomes self-replicating.  THEN evolution kicks in.  

Your statements seem better suited for a more ignorant audience, Michael.  You underestimate many of us apparently. 

Strange, scientist believe in invisible matter and energy in the sky that they can not detect with any instrumentation. Moreover they are just johnny come lately's  to the universe just as anyone else.

They do not have the market on understanding cornered.

And if you are that intelligent you should be taken everything with a grain of salt. Scientist are no less human than you are.

Michael, they can measure the amount of mass by the rotational speed of the galaxies and the energy by the acceleration of those same galaxies - so your claim that they cannot 'detect' it is total rubbish, just like everything you say on here.

Empirical observation does, for a fact, have the market on understanding cornered.  We know that time and time again our instincts about how things work is just plain dead wrong and that theology is even worse.

Heather you are wrong. Scientist postulate that it exist based on gravity, however there are other theories that attribute the effect of gravity to an incomplete understand of gravity.  New theory  have arisen to explain the plate like motion of galaxies. They have devised detectors to detect dark matter. Heretofore they have come up empty handed.

No, Micheal, you lack an understanding of gravity.  Please type out some formulas for gravity that exclude mass and velocity and we can proceed, otherwise you are just displaying your obstinate ignorance here.  New theories are not overturning relativity - the constant speed of light in a vacuum and time dilation are observed fact.

No amount of your lunacy is going to convince a group of rational people in the existence of a Bronze Age tribal sky deity that wants animals killed and their corpses burned in order to please him with that aroma so he'll provide success in battle.  As it is, the Jews have not been, historically, a successful fighting force; proving that Yahweh was as much bullshit then as he is now.

Heather, reading is fundamental. Please pick up a Scientific American. If you so insist I will google some articles for your enlightenment. But I prefer that you google your own and learn something today.

I'll tell you what, Michael - why don't you google some peer reviewed articles that offer an explanation of human origins that is more consistent with all observations than evolution/abiogenesis/the big bang.  Please ensure your list includes a few explanations that include a Bronze Age tribal sky deity that wants animals killed and their corpses burned in order to please him with that aroma so he'll provide success in battle.  I'm waiting.

Ok, I am going to slam you with the facts:

Direct detection experiments

Direct detection experiments typically operate in deep underground laboratories to reduce the background from cosmic rays. These include: the Soudan mine; the SNOLAB underground laboratory at Sudbury, Ontario (Canada); the Gran Sasso National Laboratory (Italy); the Canfranc Underground Laboratory (Spain); the Boulby Underground Laboratory (UK); and the Deep Underground Science and Engineering Laboratory, South Dakota (US).

The majority of present experiments use one of two detector technologies: cryogenic detectors, operating at temperatures below 100mK, detect the heat produced when a particle hits an atom in a crystal absorber such as germanium. Noble liquid detectors detect the flash of scintillation light produced by a particle collision in liquid xenon or argon. Cryogenic detector experiments include: CDMS, CRESST, EDELWEISS, EURECA. Noble liquid experiments include ZEPLIN, XENON, DEAP, ArDM, WARP and LUX. Both of these detector techniques are capable of distinguishing background particles which scatter off electrons, from dark matter particles which scatter off nuclei. Other experiments include SIMPLE and PICASSO.

The DAMA/NaI, DAMA/LIBRA experiments have detected an annual modulation in the event rate,[79] which they claim is due to dark matter particles. (As the Earth orbits the Sun, the velocity of the detector relative to the dark matter halo will vary by a small amount depending on the time of year). This claim is so far unconfirmed and difficult to reconcile with the negative results of other experiments assuming that the WIMP scenario is correct.[80]

Directional detection of dark matter is a search strategy based on the motion of the Solar System around the galactic center.

By using a low pressure TPC, it is possible to access information on recoiling tracks (3D reconstruction if possible) and to constrain the WIMP-nucleus kinematics. WIMPs coming from the direction in which the Sun is travelling (roughly in the direction of the Cygnus constellation) may then be separated from background noise, which should be isotropic. Directional dark matter experiments include DMTPC, DRIFT, Newage and MIMAC.

On 17 December 2009 CDMS researchers reported two possible WIMP candidate events. They estimate that the probability that these events are due to a known background (neutrons or misidentified beta or gamma events) is 23%, and conclude "this analysis cannot be interpreted as significant evidence for WIMP interactions, but we cannot reject either event as signal."[81]

More recently, on 4 September 2011, researchers using the CRESST detectors presented evidence[82] of 67 collisions occurring in detector crystals from sub-atomic particles, calculating there is a less than 1 in 10,000 chance that all were caused by known sources of interference or contamination. It is quite possible then that many of these collisions were caused by WIMPs, and/or other unknown particles.

[edit] Indirect detection experiments

Indirect detection experiments search for the products of WIMP annihilation. If WIMPs are Majorana particles (the particle and antiparticle are the same) then two WIMPs colliding could annihilate to produce gamma rays or particle-antiparticle pairs. This could produce a significant number of gamma rays, antiprotons or positrons in the galactic halo. The detection of such a signal is not conclusive evidence for dark matter, as the production of gamma rays from other sources are not fully understood.[5][10]

The EGRET gamma ray telescope observed more gamma rays than expected from the Milky Way, but scientists concluded that this was most likely due to an error in estimates of the telescope's sensitivity.[83] The Fermi Gamma-ray Space Telescope, launched June 11, 2008, is searching for gamma ray events from dark matter annihilation.[84]

At higher energies, ground-based gamma-ray telescopes have set limits on the annihilation of dark matter in dwarf spheroidal galaxies[85] and in clusters of galaxies.[86]

The PAMELA experiment (launched 2006) has detected a larger number of positrons than expected. These extra positrons could be produced by dark matter annihilation, but may also come from pulsars. No excess of anti-protons has been observed.[87]

A few of the WIMPs passing through the Sun or Earth may scatter off atoms and lose energy. This way a large population of WIMPs may accumulate at the center of these bodies, increasing the chance that two will collide and annihilate. This could produce a distinctive signal in the form of high-energy neutrinos originating from the center of the Sun or Earth.[88] It is generally considered that the detection of such a signal would be the strongest indirect proof of WIMP dark matter.[5] High-energy neutrino telescopes such as AMANDA, IceCube and ANTARES are searching for this signal.

WIMP annihilation from the Milky Way Galaxy as a whole may also be detected in the form of various annihilation products.[89] The Galactic center is a particularly good place to look because the density of dark matter may be very high there.[90]

[edit] Alternative theories

Although dark matter is the most popular theory to explain the various astronomical observations of galaxies and galaxy clusters, there has been no direct observational evidence of dark matter. Some alternative theories have been proposed to explain these observations without the need for a vast amount of undetected matter. They broadly fall into the categories of modified gravity laws and quantum gravity laws. The difference between modified gravity laws and quantum gravity laws is that modified gravity laws simply propose alternative behaviour of gravity at astrophysical and cosmological scales, without any regard to the quantum scale. Both posit that gravity behaves differently at different scales of the universe, making the laws established by Newton and Einstein insufficient.

Sorry, Michael, I'm not 'slammed' at all.  I asked you for articles that offer an explanation of human origins that is more consistent with all observations than evolution/abiogenesis/the big bang.  I specified that you ensure your list includes a few explanations that include a Bronze Age tribal sky deity that wants animals killed and their corpses burned in order to please him with that aroma so he'll provide success in battle.  I'm still waiting.

"No, I just demand some solid citations/evidence for people's wild, bullshit claims.  In this way, I avoid incorporating bizarre conspiracy/cultist views that muddle the mind - given your proclivity for delusion I would very very strongly recommend this approach to your own epistemology."

Heather instead of ignorant personnel attacks because you do not have the resources to go toe to toe in this debate, I strongly recommend that you calm down and simply start reading the journal Scientific American every month. I do.

No, I just demand some solid citations/evidence for people's wild, bullshit claims.  In this way, I avoid incorporating bizarre conspiracy/cultist views that muddle the mind - given your proclivity for delusion I would very very strongly recommend this approach to your own epistemology.

RSS

Blog Posts

Life Condensed

Posted by Cato Rigas on October 19, 2014 at 8:30pm 0 Comments

Cool Vehicle Inspection!

Posted by Ed on October 18, 2014 at 9:03am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service