Is atheism predicated partially on the belief in evolution and the current prevailing views of science.

If so, then such a belief is subject to drastic changes as discoveries and theories

have recently arose that shatter the paradigm that is the foundation of such a belief:

Discoveries keep pushing back the inception of civilization, indefinitely back in time

Evidence of coastal civilizations existing during the ice age are arising in now inundated coastal region due to rising seas.

The concept of a missing link is no longer postulated as a bush of hominids lineages walked  the earth. With what was once considered ancestors, actually being contemporary with postulated descendants. A bush of hominids actually existed as recently as 30,0000 B.C.E.

Though theories of evolution abound no working scientific model exists for the emergence of life.

Our very existence is interwoven with the anthropic principle. As such this has required scientist to postulate the multiverse to explain how the anthropic principle is mindlessly satisfied by nature. However this just substitutes one unfalsifiable believe for another.

In truth, Darwin's world has been shattered and the truth has become intractable. Even as we cope with dark matter and energy. Terms that falsely connote that we have defined them, when in fact they are no more apparent than God. As such new scientific theories continue to emerge based on the inadequacy of the standard model. This will continue into infinitum since, as God there is no means to detect these alleged entities with scientific instrumentation.

Views: 4016

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The adaption and speciation within a Genus, has been documented.

Trans phylum evolution is pure speculation. no evidence in the paleontological record.

This would be a very nice way to organize a chocolate fountain for a conference of evolutionary biologists, or a teaching moment at a creationist's 'believe-in'.

I thank you for the review.  

No, Michael, it is not 'pure speculation'.  Pure speculation would be something like, "I believe you have blond hair, blue eyes, are 5 foot ten and 5 eighths of an inch tall and speak with a lisp."  That is pure speculation because I have absolutely no basis for believing any of those physical traits about you.

We are continually finding that the evolutionary tree is bushier than previously thought but DNA still ties everything together nicely.  It hasn't all been sequenced yet, but with each passing year another species or two gets fully sequenced and so far there haven't been any surprises - nothing 'paradigm shifting', at least.

No...  You're born an atheist, so what interest does evolution and science hold in the mind of infancy?  This does not make them any less atheist.  We are all born atheist.  It's not a choice.  You're saying atheism is a belief system built upon specific facts.  Atheism is too natural to be defined in that way. 

Really, there are several different types of atheists. For those who never were exposed to a religion, or were exposed to too many for one to take root, there is one type, which I will call type A. Then there are the “de-converted” atheists, who were at one point indoctrinated into a faith. These I will call type B. Type A atheists do not have a higher interest in the sciences, accepting atheism as a matter of course; it’s something that just is. Type B atheists, on the other hand, will likely have arrived at atheism by seeing and rejecting the fallacies and contradictions in the tenets of their former faith. However, the release of a faith leaves a “god-shaped hole” in them, which in turn must be filled by something. The sciences, especially evolution, fill this hole as an explanation. Evolution especially because it is (by a very loose definition) a creation story. So, for type A, science holds no particular interest, but type B already has a sort of “obsession slot” programmed in, which science fills quite nicely. 

This is just speculation, mind you, but it seems to fit.

@ Nate Townsend - Seeing and rejecting fallacies and contradictions - absolutely, very easy if one studies religion - all religions, not one particular type, if one educates onself with all the myths and fables, then extrapolates that to the jewish OT then onward and upward to the christian NT - then also coming to the knowledge that there were so many versions, opinions and translation - that nobody, even if they were in the business, could agree. Therefore, more and more religions than one could poke a stick at - were born.

This is where you really show your ignorance - However, the release of a faith leaves a 'god-shaped hole" - I am starting to think, you are 'Not Really" serious are you? No god, therefore no hole to be formed, just more and more knowledge, seeing how imaginative the human mind is, to make up stories like the garden of eden, noah's ark, quite interesting stories, showing how inadequate, dumb, envious, jealous, this particular god is. Not a nice person at all - coming to that knowledge, which people are actually pushing as "True" Now, that is amazing.

And sad, that there are so many people, who are so full of fear, and just not very bright, that they actually believe these imaginations are true, and live their life in fear.

No god, no allah, no noah, no ark, no adam, no eve, no talking snake,

Why don't you say which religion you are - are you embarrassed, ashamed, or have you gone off on your own, made yet another sect or cult - because you disagree about 'something' the last religion you were in. Seems to be the pattern with religious types :)

Perhaps I used the wrong wording. I said “God shaped hole” meaning the absence of the church and an ordered belief system in a former theist’s life. The point is that having had a religion changes a person even after they reject it. And that this change in their personality makes them wish to search for things to “replace” the belief system. What is used to replace the belief system is very important. When it is replaced with the sciences, then you have created an atheist.

Interestingly enough, that’s my story. I was born into a religious family, but I’m an atheist heavily interested in the sciences, as well as theology (ironic, no?) which is why I’m not vicious to people i think are theists who showed up to make comments.

I think, Nate, that if I understood you correctly, you were saying that people who were born into secular families are whole from the onset, but that those who were born into religious families, were indoctrinated from youth, and later became atheists, have lost something - whether valid or invalid - upon which they once depended, and that that can leave a psychological hole that they will need to fill with something, if only stamp collecting (yes, I'm simplifying). Close?

I was raised losely catholic, and did 'time share' catholic school between junior high and high school. I do have to thank the church, the school, and atleast one priest for my slow maturity into an atheist/humanist position. It has not been very painful in hindsight, just when you excape the 'church' event horizen, it can get rather lonely.

@James Cox - RE: "the 'church' event horizon" - a well-turned phrase!:-)/\:-) high five

Sadly when I left, I think I threw my nieve sense of trust down the hole. Not sure how much I gained by the exchange..

Catholicism, Orthodox, Protestantism and Fundamentalism are all apart of the problem and not the cure. It is good that anyone would escape these. I have spoken at length on this site how they all spawn from Christian Roman Paganism aka Babylon the Mysterious, Mother of Abomination riding a Beast with Blasphemy written on it's head. The whole world is drinking from her cup of abominations and spiritual delusion. God has sent her strong spirits of delusions, that she should dare erect the Egyptian standing image ( the obelisk ) where she also burnt the Holy and Elect, alive, on  Vatican hill durng the reign of the first manifestation of one of the seven heads (dynasties) of the Beast, the Julio-Claudian dynasty and the first transgressor, Nero Caesar, whose name also sums to 666 in Hebrew.

RSS

Blog Posts

My Dad and the Communist Spies

Posted by Brad Snowder on August 20, 2014 at 2:39pm 0 Comments

Breaking Free

Posted by A. T. Heist on August 20, 2014 at 9:56am 4 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service