I'm making this post because it just feels like there's no need to speak about things anymore. Nothing seems to get accomplished anyways so what's the point of doing so. Most arguments are nothing but emotionally charged with controversy and "blah blah blah it doesn't matter what you think" on both sides. No one seems to listen to each others arguments much anymore. I'm not referring to ThinkAtheist but I'm referring to many of the arguments I see on Youtube which is the social media I use the most. I don't make Youtube videos but I've been thinking about trying to put a voice out there. I don't really know how to make a video, but even if I did, I don't know if it'd be a good idea.

What do you guys think?

Views: 201

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Humans tend to hate too little convenience as well as too much convenience. A human being is never truly satisfied with such the mind it possesses.

No one seems to listen to each others arguments much anymore.

Minds rarely turn in a single conversation. It takes people time to process information and arguments. It takes them time to work though emotional connections to issues. It takes people time to admit they were wrong about something or to gain confidence they were right. Until that time has passed, most of us are going to seem a bit irrational and unfair as we're trying to process our own thoughts while arguing our position at the same time.

Certainly there are zealots at the polar ends of most issues who seem impossible to talk to let alone budge them from their position. These people are often the loudest speakers in a conflict or debate, so after hearing them year after year spouting the same rhetoric, it may give the impression that people are immovable. Thing is, most people probably fall in the middle of the spectrum on most issues, and can be swayed over time. Even if it's frustratingly slow, moderates can change.

If you want to put a video out on YouTube, embrace the fact that YouTube comments sections are often dominated by total assholes. There are many cool people who comment, but I find the balance tips a bit more towards ignorant folks or trolls. Why bother? That's personal, but there are two reasons which come to mind first and foremost:

i) While the people who actually comment on videos may often be jerks, there are many who are more moderate who watch along without feeling the need to comment directly. Keep those people in mind when you speak. When you do get good comments or response videos -- whether they are for or against your viewpoint -- seize that as an opportunity to respond to those people and foster healthy conversation rather than worrying about trolls.

ii) If you do address the more abrasive or irrational users on a site like YouTube, think of it as practice for shaping your own arguments. The analogy I use is hitting a tennis ball against a wall. You are never going to beat the wall down, but you may hone your own skills a little through practice.

Yeah, sometimes I comment on Youtube and I try my best to not make any directly offensive things, but I will always be an asshole in someone else's mind. I hate that I'm not nearly as expressive in-person, but I guess most people are like this. I've had an account on youtube for about a year and a half and I really want to make some videos. I'm still not sure about the content I'd post or even how to post a video. I have been inspired by many atheist channels and want to do something to support the movement to secular society.

I'm making this post because it just feels like there's no need to speak about things anymore. Nothing seems to get accomplished anyways so what's the point of doing so.

Twenty years ago the public overwhelmingly opposed same-sex marriage. Today the trend has been reversed. I don't think it's well understood just what an extraordinary accomplishment that is. Societies do change. It just takes time.

Most arguments are nothing but emotionally charged with controversy and "blah blah blah it doesn't matter what you think" on both sides.

I don't think the "nothing but emotionally charged" aspect is true any more than the implication that the hysteria is symmetrical. There's usually a more reasonable side with an argument based on facts, and a less reasonable side with an argument based on emotion or intellectual dishonesty. For instance, anti-abortionists routinely refer to embryos (some consisting of just a few dozen cells) as a "baby" while claiming supernatural backing for their proclamations of personhood.

The same shrill non-arguments are used to justify everything from opposition to marriage equality to denial of human-caused climate change. This is sometimes used as a tactic to muster exposure and credibility. Declare falsely that two positions are diametrically opposed, then demand equal time for both sides of the "controversy", as though they're on equal footing.

Crackpot: The Earth is flat. God says so.
Me: The Earth is an oblate spheroid. The evidence is overwhelming.
Crackpot: See everyone? Theories differ as to the shape of the Earth! Better learn both side of the issue!

No one seems to listen to each others arguments much anymore. I'm not referring to ThinkAtheist but I'm referring to many of the arguments I see on Youtube which is the social media I use the most. I don't make Youtube videos but I've been thinking about trying to put a voice out there. I don't really know how to make a video, but even if I did, I don't know if it'd be a good idea. What do you guys think?

I think the best way to accomplish something is through activism with as many like-minded people as possible. Seek out local and national groups that support what you hope to achieve and volunteer your time and (if you have it) money to help them. If you can't find such a group, consider starting your own.

I think this happens when the person you are arguing with raises their armor to your logic. Now the only reason the other person will be inaccessible to your logic is when he/she is defending their belief rather than think about what you are saying. And this will happen invariably in small conversations like in Youtube in which both parties are trying to throw as much as possible in as less time and space. Naturally both parties will be more busy trying to defend a pre-existing notion rather than publicly conceding to a valid counter-argument and hence looking stupid in the process.

Now there is always a chink in that armor and its upto the clever logician to find out that chink. Its a very long painstaking and mind numbing process but I think its possible to break even the most ardent fanatics. Mostly it'll involve you placing yourself in your opponents place and trying to determine why they think what the do.

Remember arguments with another person is not a debate where you are arguing in front of a neutral person. If convincing the other person against his pre-existing notion is the ultimate aim then basic argumentation almost always fails.

Believe it or not, it does!  I understand your frustrations....  I've come across many....especially in my work place...not to mention these government workers, especially dmv employees in la is HORRIBLE!!  -__-

Even...Even, even if 99 percent of the world is wreaking havoc on you, let's save the last 1 percent to our  beloved ones......     Despite the naysayers, cruelties, indifference and insensitivities within our societies, let's have a courage to say "Hey, how was your day?",  "I'm Sorry.",  " I missed you.", "You are the best!"  " I love You!"   It will be difficult at first, but you will be happily surprised at the results.  Yeah!  It's worth saying it....   ^.~

In a moment, one voice can be ignored, but with time one voice can create a ripple.  We live in a world of immediate gratification.  We think that if we want something to happen, it should be within a matter of seconds.  Social change is (thankfully) much slower.  One voice (although ignored in its time) can turn into many.  It's the long game that matters.  Have patience, and trust that we'll either change and adapt or push ourselves to complete extinction...or maybe both!

I do this day in and day out for my job.  I'm constantly working with parents who see no reason to change, but want their children to behave differently all the same.  I know that if I just charged in and told them what to do even with research to back me up, they would fight me tooth and nail.  Instead, I have to go out week after week...ask questions and hint at the solution, until finally they have this amazing idea.  Sure, I don't get the credit...but in the end that kid is learning and that family is happier overall.

Well said, Colleen.   

That's how I feel too. Not because of youtube but people in general. People love talking, but they're so apathetic when it comes to actually doing something. Might as well skip the talk and not bother at all.

I think it would be a good idea for you to start putting out videos on youtube. It may not happen right away, but personalities like RayWilliamJohnson, The Happy Atheist, Jaclyn Glenn, and others started out with little to no followers and/or any influence.

RSS

Forum

The Shinto Flower among the Weeds of Religion

Started by Cato Rigas in Advice. Last reply by Cato Rigas 8 hours ago. 2 Replies

Awe struck

Started by Davis Goodman in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 10 hours ago. 15 Replies

"I'm Christian and I vote."

Started by Ed in Small Talk. Last reply by James Cox 10 hours ago. 40 Replies

Blog Posts

Life Condensed

Posted by Cato Rigas on October 19, 2014 at 8:30pm 1 Comment

Cool Vehicle Inspection!

Posted by Ed on October 18, 2014 at 9:03am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service