I recently wrote a blog where I pulled an article from the UK Telegraph saying that our movement is nothing more than the "least inspiring movement in recent years". 

I am adamant that one of the main reasons for this and other types of negative press out there is because of the billboard campaign by American Atheists. The billboards are inflammatory. They are not thought provoking or lead to thoughtful debate or discussion. They are insulting and I am frustrated that this is how American Atheists think our movement should be perceived and represented. I have wrote to the Chairman of the Board of AA and asked him to reconsider this campaign. Although the idea of the billboard I'm all for, what they say needs to make people say or think "wow, that's great, and it's something I want to check out further".  We need to do better!

What are your thoughts on this? Do we need to write to American Atheists via petition?

Views: 103

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree that most of them are to help and they really get the message out there, and thats great. But some of them do seem like they sorta go down to the Christian level, however.
I guess i should've posed this as a two part forum. Ok, so the billboard argument I can see the points and in terms of a marketing standpoint i can see how this would work. But for me, Silverman being out there and speaking to people the way he does, i'm talking specifically of the O'Reilly show here, is not the way to act and goes against the perception that I would like people to have of me as an atheist.

Perhaps I wouldn't go so far as to say, 'not the way to act', but I'm certain you really meant that in the context of 'goes against the perception that I would like people to have of me as an atheist'.

To that end, I fully agree.  There are always going to be really confrontational atheists out there who do a poor job of backing up that confrontation with the intellect to support their position, and I'm actually glad to stand beside them, behind them, or just stay away from them - whatever they like.  The big difference with Silverman is that he's perceived as not only representing a large body of atheists, but being representative of that large body of atheists.  In that regard, I think he has at least somewhat of an obligation to better prepare for prime time media appearances so he can put forth an image that more of us can respect - even if he is being smug, insulting, arrogant, or whatever.  I could actually respect a smug, insulting, arrogant representative that could make an argument for his stance by showing that O'Reilly is just as smug, insulting, and arrogant although without grounds because of his Bronze Age understanding of the world.

Robert, No matter what phrasing we use on billboards drawing attention to our existence,there are people who will take offense. F

RSS

Blog Posts

The tale of the twelve officers

Posted by Davis Goodman on August 27, 2014 at 3:04am 4 Comments

Birthday Present

Posted by Caila Rowe on August 26, 2014 at 1:29am 11 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service