I recently wrote a blog where I pulled an article from the UK Telegraph saying that our movement is nothing more than the "least inspiring movement in recent years". 

I am adamant that one of the main reasons for this and other types of negative press out there is because of the billboard campaign by American Atheists. The billboards are inflammatory. They are not thought provoking or lead to thoughtful debate or discussion. They are insulting and I am frustrated that this is how American Atheists think our movement should be perceived and represented. I have wrote to the Chairman of the Board of AA and asked him to reconsider this campaign. Although the idea of the billboard I'm all for, what they say needs to make people say or think "wow, that's great, and it's something I want to check out further".  We need to do better!

What are your thoughts on this? Do we need to write to American Atheists via petition?

Views: 102

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wrong. Being right is being right. What does virtue have to do with anything. You may want to examine some of the statements you are asserting, before publishing because if examined closely they do not make a lick of sense. So what if you can't persuade others to it's realization, whatever that is.

Perhaps you should read a little more carefully then and try not to lose track of the discussion.  I'll try to use smaller words if that will help, but you can also look them up in google.

If you have no interest putting forth a persuasive argument on behalf of reason over blind faith AND you are in support of inflammatory billboards then what, other than inciting more hatred against atheists, are you hoping these billboards will accomplish?

You can google all day and use as many big words as you like. At the end of the day it still has to make sense. You don't put up a persuasive argument on behalf of reason over faith or blind faith or draw distinctions on a billboard. Your intention should be to incite discourse were the truth might be realized. If you think the blind will suddenly see by being kind to them well I have some property you definitely need to purchase sight unseen.
I'll just let it continue in the other thread as we've run out of reply buttons here and you haven't said anything new.
I strongly agree and I find Silverman to be unnecessarily confrontational. Unfortunately I think the choice is between falling in with 'the party line' or accepting the consequences of having a fractured community. I really don't see Silverman, or many of the other "god hurt me" atheists accepting a moderate approach.

Heather, Silverman really bothers me. Did you see him on the O'Reilly factor? He came off sounding arrogant and childish and O'Riley came off sounding calm and reasonable. When O'Reilly looses it it's because he's out "thunk" by superior and calmer voices like Hitch and co. Silverman represented us in the worst way and brought up the "invisible man in the sky arugement" and from that point on O'Reilly had him.

Here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BCipg71LbI

I started watching that clip before and just couldn't get through it.  Those billboards are just political suicide, and no matter how stupid O'Reilly may be, he knows how to politic.
It is about time people stopped thinking hurting their sensibilities and started calling them out. Personally I thought the jokers who were burning churches had the right idea, but for the wrong reason. Religion is a business and a scam that has done more to retard mans progress than all the disease and natural calamity combined. Imagine all the great works of art and science that have been destroyed by various religions over the centuries, let alone people killed and or tortured. It is about time people stopped kissing their asses and started treating them ( I mean the leaders) like the sick pieces of shit they are. I know this sounds harsh, but I am tired of seeing these bastards prosper because people are chicken shit, when it comes to organized insanity or self delusion.

Maybe the billboard should of said "Think About It, The Evidence Is There"   

It does fly a bit under the radar but it does engage the brain in a subtle way.

That's exactly the sort of approach I could subscribe to, Walter.

When I had my computer repair shop it's a technique I used. That way the customer felt like it was their choice when present with the options. They would pretty much do what I suggested.

You have to plant the seed first and let it work on them.

I'm of the George Carlin school of ridiculing the ridiculous. These billboards aren't aimed at theists. They're aimed at people who don't believe the crap anymore but are kept there through fear, AND THERE ARE A LOT OF THOSE. Smash it all day. Have fun. Hardcore theists won't be de-converted unless they want to be. You can only talk sense to those who are willing to have sense talked into them. Make fun of the rest.

RSS

Events

Blog Posts

Labels

Posted by Quincy Maxwell on July 20, 2014 at 9:37pm 24 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service