Hello, everyone. I was an atheist until at the age of 27 I began to study the Bible in order to debunk it. I learned quickly that the Bible was grossly misrepresented by apostate Christendom's adoption of pagan teachings such as the immortal soul from Socrates, the trinity from Plato, the cross from Constantine, hell from Dante and Milton, Easter from Astarte, Christmas from the winter solstice celebrations, and most recently the Rapture from Darby.

Though I have never and will never be a part of organized religion, my beliefs are not entirely dissimilar to that of The Jehovah's Witnesses, due to the removal of the aforementioned pagan influence. I have studied briefly the history of the major world religions, Buddhism, Christianity, Confucianism, Hinduism, Islam, Judaism, Shintoism and Taoism and have published sacred and non-sacred texts from each of these online: The Dhammapada, Four Noble Truths, Paradise Lost, Divine Comedy, Analects Of Confucius, Bhagavad Gita, Qur'an, Pirqe Aboth, Nihongi, Kojiki, Tao Te Ching and Chuang Tzu.

Having been an atheist most of my life and given that nearly everyone I know is atheist, I think I understand and respect where most of you are coming from. I don't believe in "converting" anyone to anything, but I do think the atheist tends to be mislead when it comes to the Bible. Not that that matters much, except for that I do enjoy, given the opportunity, to correct them in thoughtful and polite discussion and debate.

I hope we can have some interesting conversations.

Views: 3373

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sadly, it seemed that the 'aliens' were not all that more rational, than their hosts. Maybe the 'Reptilians', are mostly interested in free room and board, not plantary conquest?

The movie, mid-80's, 'They Live', might be a good example of aliens with cooperative conquest interests, except for the mind control part. I wonder if some of these folks use the movie, 'They Live', as a documentary? Some of us live in desparate, but imaginary times, others, not so much. Maybe our day to day life has become so booring that fantacy has become a preferable mind state?  

I think that's pretty much a given, James, considering how much of are lives are consumed by television, movies and video games.

LOL
David H. is back....where did I put the Penicillin.
LOL

Interesting, Gregg - there are a lot of atheists here against one - but I don't recall having said three words to you.

I just heard a gurgling sound...was that DH gasping for breath...doG I hope he in doesn't drown in the sea of knowledge and logic.
:( I'm gonna miss that boy...good christian lad that he was. :(

Gregg, I wouldn't call myself good or Christian. Another atheist assumption incorrect.

Another one lost to fear and a deluded mindset?

No, Tex, just another theist island in a rolling sea of atheist misconceptions.

Misconceptions? Maybe, but the problem is gods don't exist, they are the creation of ancients that had no better answers for the world around them nor the heavens above, they were ignorant, thus the thousands of gods worshiped over the centuries by many different cultures, and there's still a multitude today. Pretty simple if you apply just a little rational thinking.

It's easy to see the bibles (OT/NT) were written by ignorant goat herders, and not an all knowing god, unless this god wasn't all knowing and was really just as ignorant as the goat herders that praised him.

You say you were an atheist for 27 years, really?  For me the further I got away from the religious mindset, the more insane it became. After all, that "religious faith" allows most to believe ANYTHING, regardless of how irrational it is. 

You seem to be an educated guy, so what part of your psyche allows you to maintain a belief in an irrational supernatural mindset and reject rational, logical thinking. I presume it's an emotional attachment as it is with most believers. My mom for instance fears death and wants to be reunited with her children in heaven, you have your reason for willfully deluding yourself, what is it?

Why do you even have a need for a god, does he just provide you with  blanket answers to all your unknown questions? Do you needs gods love? Do you feel there has to be a reason for your being here and that reason is god? Do you think that questions that can't currently be answered by science automatically require god?

Forget all the other BS, what's the truth behind your acceptance?

@David H. I am glad you are here David. Speaking to a christian re-inforces my disbelief in myths of any kind. The thing that you miss coming onto an Atheist forum, is that none, I repeat none of us, believes in any myths, of any kind, and includes the particular brand of god you believe in. We are of like mind.

Whereas, people who read the bible are all over the place, some believe this bit, some others that bit, some play with snakes, some don't, some believe the sabbath is Saturday, some Sunday, some believe in saints, some don't, some believe in angels, some don't. All over the place, just can't make up their minds what to believe in. You are no different.

What fascinates me, is that millions of people read a book, in this particular case, your particular brand of bible, and interpret it so differently. They all just 'pick out' bits they want to believe, and throw away or ignore the bits they don't like, or elaborate other bits, to keep control of the sheep with fear and intimidation.

Yay, when two or more men get together, they will have differing opinions, which is why there are sooo many brands of christians, all saying what they believe is the right way, the right god, and everyone else is wrong, and viola, you also fall into that category. Same old, same old.

By the by, if you read the bible, and believe it, you are a christian, but I don't blame you for not wanting to be called a christian, as they are a hateful lot, with a vengeful, narcissistic, temper tantrum throwing idiot, that you follow.

@David - Why do christians get so angry, when they see truth?- is it because the christian finally realizes it has wasted so much time believing and revolving their life around a myth. Yes, I guess that would make me angry too, so go ahead and be angry.

@David About the flood - who cleaned up the millions of dead bodies of men, women children, animals, marine life, where did the lovely Noah get his food, food for all the animals, - and your god murdered millions, all for a drunk and entourage. And you believe and follow this ignorant vengeful ignoramus. Millions of people, David millions. Drowning, sucked in by all the mud produced, Good thing it didn't happen :)

RSS

Forum

The Shinto Flower among the Weeds of Religion

Started by Cato Rigas in Advice. Last reply by Belle Rose 1 hour ago. 3 Replies

Awe struck

Started by Davis Goodman in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 12 hours ago. 15 Replies

"I'm Christian and I vote."

Started by Ed in Small Talk. Last reply by James Cox 12 hours ago. 40 Replies

Blog Posts

Life Condensed

Posted by Cato Rigas on October 19, 2014 at 8:30pm 1 Comment

Cool Vehicle Inspection!

Posted by Ed on October 18, 2014 at 9:03am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service