Hello, everyone. I was an atheist until at the age of 27 I began to study the Bible in order to debunk it. I learned quickly that the Bible was grossly misrepresented by apostate Christendom's adoption of pagan teachings such as the immortal soul from Socrates, the trinity from Plato, the cross from Constantine, hell from Dante and Milton, Easter from Astarte, Christmas from the winter solstice celebrations, and most recently the Rapture from Darby.

Though I have never and will never be a part of organized religion, my beliefs are not entirely dissimilar to that of The Jehovah's Witnesses, due to the removal of the aforementioned pagan influence. I have studied briefly the history of the major world religions, Buddhism, Christianity, Confucianism, Hinduism, Islam, Judaism, Shintoism and Taoism and have published sacred and non-sacred texts from each of these online: The Dhammapada, Four Noble Truths, Paradise Lost, Divine Comedy, Analects Of Confucius, Bhagavad Gita, Qur'an, Pirqe Aboth, Nihongi, Kojiki, Tao Te Ching and Chuang Tzu.

Having been an atheist most of my life and given that nearly everyone I know is atheist, I think I understand and respect where most of you are coming from. I don't believe in "converting" anyone to anything, but I do think the atheist tends to be mislead when it comes to the Bible. Not that that matters much, except for that I do enjoy, given the opportunity, to correct them in thoughtful and polite discussion and debate.

I hope we can have some interesting conversations.

Views: 3376

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Archaeopteryx,

Why attempt to put yourself in a Bronze-age-Hebrew frame of mind when they wrote it down for you? I mean. For example, science tells us that the people in King David's time lived to be about 35 - 40 years, but he himself said 70 to 80. (Psalm 90:10) You "science" atheists crack me up. Some cave paintings kicks open your imagination like wildfire, but the blatantly obvious fucks you all up. 

@David Henson

Ok, muppet, if I were to say that our days may come to 100 or even 110 for the strongest, my statement would be true but it would not represent the typical longevity of our population.

It is no surprise that this escapes you give that in 17+ years of 'theistic debate' you failed even to learn the term deist, and lack even the skills to look it up before ignorantly evaluating your own position as being non-deist.

You have done this with your bible from the earliest pages, grabbing onto any apologetic you can no matter how flimsy or outright fallacious.

And then, in your superlative ignorance you have to audacity to come here and accuse others of missing the obvious?  Wow, just wow.

Lol.

Who wrote it down for me, David? And what are his credentials, that I might gauge the validity of what he wrote?

And what would that "blatantly obvious" thing be that fucks me all up? You're babbling in generalities, and you need to be specific. I've no time for guessing games.

I now use as many translations as I can get my hands on.

Great. And how many is that?

I noticed the Jehovah's Witnesses were not on that list, and they are, by far, in my opinion, more knowledgeable than any other group.

Why not join the Jehovah's Witnesses?

How many of the 41,000 Christian denominations in the world did you speak to before forming that opinion?

What is it about Christianity that made you exclude Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, Wicca, Scientology, and all the others? 

The application of the law there was not merely to seize the genitals but to crush the scrotum.

What does the Bible say? Seize or crush? Does it refer to the male genitals or the scrotum exclusively? If it says seize, and refers to the entire genitalia, then isn't their Biblical knowledge incorrect for changing the meaning?

It seems rather important to get this right, considering the severity of the penalty.

Procreation was very important to the ancient Hebrew culture and Mosaic Law, so the woman was actually getting off lightly. She could still function somewhat but the man couldn't produce a family inheritance.

Do you agree with God's law and thus advocate chopping off a woman's hand for seizing a scrotum?  Would you chop it off yourself or ask someone else to do it?

Great. And how many is that?

How many did you say there was? 900? I'd say then about 899. I don't know. I used to have hundreds on my website. Who cares?

Why not join the Jehovah's Witnesses?

How many of the 41,000 Christian denominations in the world did you speak to before forming that opinion?

I don't have to talk to them all, I wouldn't join any organized religion. Can you name one Christian denomination besides the JWs that don't cling dogedly to pagan apostasy? Hell. Trinity. Cross. Easter.

What is it about Christianity that made you exclude Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, Wicca, Scientology, and all the others?

You do realize I could ask you the same, don't you? Only including Christianity. Why is it that atheist tend to doubt the confidence of believers as if it were an insult to their own position?

Do you agree with God's law and thus advocate chopping off a woman's hand for seizing a scrotum?  Would you chop it off yourself or ask someone else to do it?

If I were in ancient Israel, yes I would. But the Mosaic Law was no longer in effect after Christ's sacrifice.

For the sake of any grabby women out there, I am glad you chose Christianity and not Judaism!

How many did you say there was? 900? I'd say then about 899. I don't know. I used to have hundreds on my website. 

You may not be lying, but you sound like you are. If I said there were 1000 translations would you claim to have read 999?

Who cares?

You do. According to you, many of them are wrong, meaning your selection is rather important. 

I don't have to talk to them all, I wouldn't join any organized religion.

I was asking about your ranking of which Christian denomination is the most knowledgeable regarding the Bible. You said it's JW by far. 

You're a religion of one, apparently, since the rest of Christianity is so out of step with you, and even the superior JW aren't up to your high standards.  

Can you name one Christian denomination besides the JWs that don't cling dogedly to pagan apostasy? Hell. Trinity. Cross. Easter.

What difference does it make? Most of them say all the others are wrong, just like you do. 

You do realize I could ask you the same, don't you? Only including Christianity. Why is it that atheist tend to doubt the confidence of believers as if it were an insult to their own position?

I can't speak for atheists in general. You have that covered pretty well.

Speaking for myself, your "I always win" confidence isn't in doubt, only the basis of it. And it's not necessary for me to behave "as if" you insult me, because you really do insult me. 

If I were in ancient Israel, yes I would [chop off a woman's hand]. But the Mosaic Law was no longer in effect after Christ's sacrifice.

You're a monster. 

You're a monster.

Lol. Sounds like a perfect example of moral relativism, doesn't it? It was right to chop off the woman's hand in ancient Israel, but that no longer applies, so now it is wrong. Ludicrous.

Laws and their foundation in generally accepted social norms (morality) change over time.There's no reason to vilify someone over a hypothetical. In fact, it's disingenuous to the extreme to first ask for it, then condemn a person for responding. 

There's no reason to vilify someone over a hypothetical.

Of course there is. Hypothetically the 911 terrorists are in heaven with Allah for what they did. Nothing, not even the hypothetical, justifies the savage mutilation of a woman, especially the claims of supernatural backing.

In fact, it's disingenuous to the extreme to first ask for it, then condemn a person for responding. 

I condemned his response, not that he responded. I would have commended him for refusing ever to do it

It's not calculating to ask a fundamentalist if the Old Testament counts. The fundamentalist is being calculating when he says it doesn't.

I might understand waking the guy with a stick, but how did the woman get a hold on the fellow's package? Why can't women get an award for such an act, trying to stop violence?

RSS

Forum

Sunday Disassembly

Started by Reg The Fronkey Farmer in Society. Last reply by Simon Paynton 3 hours ago. 11 Replies

Awe struck

Started by Davis Goodman in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 12 hours ago. 40 Replies

where when how who why ?

Started by aubrey knows nothing * in Small Talk. Last reply by Davis Goodman 12 hours ago. 5 Replies

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service