Hello, everyone. I was an atheist until at the age of 27 I began to study the Bible in order to debunk it. I learned quickly that the Bible was grossly misrepresented by apostate Christendom's adoption of pagan teachings such as the immortal soul from Socrates, the trinity from Plato, the cross from Constantine, hell from Dante and Milton, Easter from Astarte, Christmas from the winter solstice celebrations, and most recently the Rapture from Darby.

Though I have never and will never be a part of organized religion, my beliefs are not entirely dissimilar to that of The Jehovah's Witnesses, due to the removal of the aforementioned pagan influence. I have studied briefly the history of the major world religions, Buddhism, Christianity, Confucianism, Hinduism, Islam, Judaism, Shintoism and Taoism and have published sacred and non-sacred texts from each of these online: The Dhammapada, Four Noble Truths, Paradise Lost, Divine Comedy, Analects Of Confucius, Bhagavad Gita, Qur'an, Pirqe Aboth, Nihongi, Kojiki, Tao Te Ching and Chuang Tzu.

Having been an atheist most of my life and given that nearly everyone I know is atheist, I think I understand and respect where most of you are coming from. I don't believe in "converting" anyone to anything, but I do think the atheist tends to be mislead when it comes to the Bible. Not that that matters much, except for that I do enjoy, given the opportunity, to correct them in thoughtful and polite discussion and debate.

I hope we can have some interesting conversations.

Views: 3396

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Reg seriously, last I checked god had not revised the laws, it's gonna be tricky here. You may just have to be a soldier for god

@David Henson - I am absolutely certain that no matter what you or anyone else may introduce to me, as long as I use the Bible I'm on the right side - just from this statement, you don't want interesting, knowledgeable discourse, you just want to 'believe' no matter what is brought to your  attention.

Christians must say they believe a bible, (there are so many, with men interpreting and changing words and rules to suit), no matter what  a discussion might produce - atheists are a threat to their beliefs, as they don't want to think how much time they have wasted on any particular brand of myth they have attached themselves to, whereas atheists question everything, with an open mind, analyse what is feasible, what could be feasible, and what is absolute tripe. Atheists shake your cage, and you just don't like it, as in your heart, you know, that the conclusions you have come to is all, not just tripe, but evil tripe. So, you haven't come here to discuss, it is just another example of you kidding yourself, and wanting just to 'believe', no matter what.

@x - Yep, that is exactly what it is - all made up stories, with a lot of scare mongering thrown in, @David - tut, tut, David, why are you getting so angry - because you don't know really basic stuff like firmament, or followed history to see where all these stories started from, added to, pilfered from - all very basic stuff, really. Are you embarrassed because you are showing your ignorance, and hence, getting angry. Are you getting angry because you are starting to realize the particular book you are following was made up by uneducated, superstitious, testosterone driven, knucklegrazing morons - is that why you are getting so angry?

Very sad, to see a christian realizing he has wasted his life.

When you say David that you are not part of, nor will you ever be part of an organised religion you, like the JW’s, are missing something important. How do you think the modern Bible spread around the world? It came to you from organised religion. It was edited and translated and whatever version you studied or have decided is the correct one has come to you through organised religion. So while you can claim that you are not part of one you really are.

If you claimed that Marx’s “Communist Manifesto” was the source of absolute truth and must be followed and that people that did not agree with you were holding “nonsensical” beliefs by being capitalists then you would be a communist. Just because you don’t attend the rallies does not make you any different to the ones that do. You are all waiting for the same revolution. You would be no different to the rest of them. You would not be a “special” communist.

You were an Atheist for 27 years? By your own definition you actually spent that time aware that you held a nonsensical denial in the existence of god? Sorry I don't believe you.

When you studied Islam why did you discover to make you reject it? I assume growing up in the Bible belt surrounded by Atheists may have had something to do with it?

Greetings and Welcome!

This may have already been asked, as I am at work and don't have time to read all of the posts on this thread. If it has, I am sorry, you can just cite the answer you already gave.... But I am just curious: If you were an atheist for 27 years, what was it that convinced you to become a believer? Was it one particular thing or did all of it suddenly make sense to you one day?

As a former Christian, then Pagan, and now atheist, I have studied many religions and found them all to be lacking. Even if you remove all the other influences from the Bible (pagan, etc), you are still left with nothing but a bunch of archaic rules that don't make any sense in today's world (Not eating shellfish? No wearing of mixed fiber fabrics? Just to name a few...), and a bunch of unbelievable, logic-defying stories. What about it makes any sense to you? I am not saying any of this to be malicious, I am honestly curious!

I guess unless he has taken a brief hiatus 

That is being too ambitious on your part, expecting him to answer questions, I doubt maybe a little preaching laced with insults

So farewell then, David Henson
Adding threads and posts and then some
Was he kidnapped, killed or captured?
No, the silly sod's been Raptured

And he who is a bubble,

Is Ruptured.

I'm reading this thread and thinking to myself - I've been gone, for what? 5 or 6 days? I have to laugh at the impressive atheist hero and martyr who has had to endure the abuse of the visiting theist.

I wonder, with a chuckle, do these people ever listen to themselves?

And I wonder if this reply is going to be one of the ones this dumb ass forum eats.

Conversion isn't the intention of a true Christian, it is education. As much as you all think you know the Bible and know what I'm doing here, you don't have a clue.

Indeed. You opened this discussion with a rather substantial one: "I do enjoy, given the opportunity, to correct [Atheists] in thoughtful and polite discussion and debate."

Admittedly, few of your comments are thoughtful and many are coarse and crude. So I suppose you could have been lying.   

And I wonder if this reply is going to be one of the ones this dumb ass forum eats.

Attention 'Rage Quit' voters: I hereby triple-down on 'moderator smite'.

Then again we could add a 'Serial Rage Quitter' or 'Rage, Quit, Sulk, Return' category to the ballot. 

RSS

Forum

Why do we tolerate this?

Started by Belle Rose in Crime and Punishment. Last reply by Noel 55 seconds ago. 29 Replies

A relapse.....

Started by Belle Rose in Small Talk. Last reply by Noel 10 minutes ago. 9 Replies

How do you cure Insanity???

Started by Belle Rose in Advice. Last reply by Belle Rose 5 hours ago. 64 Replies

My Grandpa died last week

Started by Physeter in Small Talk. Last reply by Belle Rose 12 hours ago. 12 Replies

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service