Hello, everyone. I was an atheist until at the age of 27 I began to study the Bible in order to debunk it. I learned quickly that the Bible was grossly misrepresented by apostate Christendom's adoption of pagan teachings such as the immortal soul from Socrates, the trinity from Plato, the cross from Constantine, hell from Dante and Milton, Easter from Astarte, Christmas from the winter solstice celebrations, and most recently the Rapture from Darby.

Though I have never and will never be a part of organized religion, my beliefs are not entirely dissimilar to that of The Jehovah's Witnesses, due to the removal of the aforementioned pagan influence. I have studied briefly the history of the major world religions, Buddhism, Christianity, Confucianism, Hinduism, Islam, Judaism, Shintoism and Taoism and have published sacred and non-sacred texts from each of these online: The Dhammapada, Four Noble Truths, Paradise Lost, Divine Comedy, Analects Of Confucius, Bhagavad Gita, Qur'an, Pirqe Aboth, Nihongi, Kojiki, Tao Te Ching and Chuang Tzu.

Having been an atheist most of my life and given that nearly everyone I know is atheist, I think I understand and respect where most of you are coming from. I don't believe in "converting" anyone to anything, but I do think the atheist tends to be mislead when it comes to the Bible. Not that that matters much, except for that I do enjoy, given the opportunity, to correct them in thoughtful and polite discussion and debate.

I hope we can have some interesting conversations.

Views: 3359

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's clear he isn't used to being scrutinized. That would explain why it was so easy for him to convert to Christianity in the first place.

He's also not at all unlike the other theists we got here, who lost their calm the moment they were called out to provide some objective evidence. But how can you expect objective evidence from someone who loses his objectivity the moment he gets asked for it in the first place. Might as well yell allahu akbar and demand us to be stoned for questioning him.

We need more than "I studied the bible."

And I like how they always say "I studied the bible/quran/co."

As opposed to simply "I read it and believed it." Which is what really happened, to be frank.

Like I said, it's all about word games with these people.

It's clear he isn't used to being scrutinized. That would explain why it was so easy for him to convert to Christianity in the first place.

Which I haven't. And I love being scrutinized. I only wish it were in a sensible manner.

@David Henson

You said: "And I love being scrutinized. I only wish it were in a sensible manner."

I do find it odd, then, that you haven't acknowledged your error in regard to that 'firmament' which we discussed.  I mean I illustrated clearly he gap in qualifications between our sources so that you might know up to what standards you might be held here - and you have yet to reply.

Ever been 'scrutinized' by folks that have a real axe to grind? It can be very unsettling. Some pull it off so well, that a Grand Inquisitor could be but to shame..

Ha ha ha!  If he IS a troll, then you successfully trolled the troll, LOL.  And yeah, he's getting really ticked off because his vague, pseudo-academic references don't stand up to any scrutiny, and we've actually scrutinized!  :D

Yeah. Heather, maybe you will agree with me. There is nothing more obtuse than an over educated idiot. Or Rabbinic tradition.

Don't give me your atheist bullshit because we both know there is nothing I can say to you or any other atheist about the God I believe in, Jehovah, that will appease you.

That's not true. Provide the evidence that supports the existence of Jehovah.    

And I sure as fuck don't give a rats ass about impressing a bunch of quasi free thinking atheists gathered 'round licking their wounds.

It's a bit late for that. You've already made quite the impression. You are right about one thing, though. You and your ilk constantly seek out atheists to deliver your insults and injuries. You have indeed harmed a great many of us. That you would lash out on that basis, and apparently take comfort in that, is everything I have come to expect in a Christian. 

You define your mother to me and I will define my God to you.

Mother: a woman who has raised a child, given birth to a child, and/or supplied the ovum that united with a sperm which grew into a child.

Your turn.

Don't presume to tell me what will work here, I've been doing this for nearly 2 decades. The only thing that will work here is to agree with you.

Again, not true. Provide the evidence that supports the existence of Jehovah. That will work. I promise.  

GM - RE: "You have indeed harmed a great many of us." - I can't speak for anyone other than myself, but I don't give them enough power to harm me - for their words to harm anyone, that person has to care about what they say, and I don't.

I can't speak for anyone other than myself, but I don't give them enough power to harm me - for their words to harm anyone, that person has to care about what they say, and I don't.

I should have made this more clear. 

One of my good friends in high school, an honor student, got kicked out of his house at 15 after his mother secretly followed him and discovered he was ditching church. He was never the same. Incidents like that are mainly what comes to mind when David used the word "wounded". 

Nevertheless, I'm willing to hear him out. I do care. And  I was sincere when I said I pity him. 

To clarify further, his words aren't wounding me. The worst he does is make me smile and shake my head. 

RE: "his words aren't wounding me" - I was never worried about that for a second, you can more than hold your own.

I felt no injury, but did find out where to find god and how to recognize him!

The 'god/pile of shit' insight was very helpful. This does go back to a previous posting concerning pantheism. I am beginning to see the links between some religions that I thought to be at odds. I also will not forget where to get a free meal...LOL

Wow! Getting a little testy there, aren't we, David? I really can't blame you, I can only imagine how it must feel, being in denial about the fact that you've just wasted twenty years of your life.

BTW - "Jehova" is a misnomer - I thought everyone knew that --

Jehova
by Micha F. Lindemans

The name by which God revealed himself to the ancient Hebrews (Ex. 6:2, 3). This name was spelled "hwhy" (the Hebrew equivalent of "YHWH") and is known as the Tetragrammaton (meaning "four letters"). Since it was considered too sacred to pronounce, the Jews would substitute the Sacred Name (Ha-Shem) with the word "Adonai."

To indicate this substitution in the Masoretic Text, the Masoretes added the vowel points from the word "Adonai" to the Sacred Name. Early Christian translators mistakenly combined the vowels of Adonai with the consonants of YHWH, producing the word "YaHoWaH." When the Scriptures were translated into German during the Reformation (16th century), the word was transliterated into the German way of pronouncing it: the "Y" as the English "J", and the "W" as the English "V" -- or "Jahovah." In the early 17th century, the Scriptures were translated into English and the word was again transliterated, as "Jehovah."

This error has carried over into many modern (English) translations, but is now recognized as a translation error that was never used by the Jews.

Wow! Getting a little testy there, aren't we, David? I really can't blame you, I can only imagine how it must feel, being in denial about the fact that you've just wasted twenty years of your life.

Goddammit! Yeah, boy howdy, Dino, I'm just blown away with all y'all's book learnin. Thank the God of technology fer the search engine, I reckon. Well, I better mosey on and hope the next crop of fucking atheist idiots I come across are not so unmerciful in their self appointed wisdom.

But, regarding Micha F. Lindemans' bastardization so useful to running circles around me logically - the name Jesus. In Hebrew? In Greek? In Latin? 

Now wait a minute! What about Joshua?! Jeremiah? Huh?

Nice try. Lame.

RSS

Forum

The Cross

Started by Belle Rose in Religion and the Religious, Atheism and Atheists. Last reply by _Robert_ 17 minutes ago. 19 Replies

Help Think Atheist!

Started by David Smith in Theistic Arguments and Debate Help. Last reply by Simon Mathews 7 hours ago. 18 Replies

How do you cure Insanity???

Started by Belle Rose in Advice. Last reply by MikeLong 17 hours ago. 38 Replies

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service