Hello, everyone. I was an atheist until at the age of 27 I began to study the Bible in order to debunk it. I learned quickly that the Bible was grossly misrepresented by apostate Christendom's adoption of pagan teachings such as the immortal soul from Socrates, the trinity from Plato, the cross from Constantine, hell from Dante and Milton, Easter from Astarte, Christmas from the winter solstice celebrations, and most recently the Rapture from Darby.

Though I have never and will never be a part of organized religion, my beliefs are not entirely dissimilar to that of The Jehovah's Witnesses, due to the removal of the aforementioned pagan influence. I have studied briefly the history of the major world religions, Buddhism, Christianity, Confucianism, Hinduism, Islam, Judaism, Shintoism and Taoism and have published sacred and non-sacred texts from each of these online: The Dhammapada, Four Noble Truths, Paradise Lost, Divine Comedy, Analects Of Confucius, Bhagavad Gita, Qur'an, Pirqe Aboth, Nihongi, Kojiki, Tao Te Ching and Chuang Tzu.

Having been an atheist most of my life and given that nearly everyone I know is atheist, I think I understand and respect where most of you are coming from. I don't believe in "converting" anyone to anything, but I do think the atheist tends to be mislead when it comes to the Bible. Not that that matters much, except for that I do enjoy, given the opportunity, to correct them in thoughtful and polite discussion and debate.

I hope we can have some interesting conversations.

Views: 3329

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I can't imagine any goup more codependent than Christians, with their multiple weekly meetings to reinforce each other's belief systems.

Or the daily gatherng of atheists, picking on the most recent theist that has volunteered to be the next meal! Don't get me wrong, after a life time of putting up with theist grandstanding, meanness, falt finding and general cursing to hell, it does seem that turn around is fair play.

I just can't find any 'place' to send the theists to. When we have paved hell over, pulled out the fence posts, kicked the gate down, and told satan to get a real job, it just looks like we are stuck with them. It could be worse, but I just can't bring myself to it. I am just trying to have a nice day...

@David - and the lovely David is just as angry as the usual run of he mill christians who come onto this site to show us the way - they give me my laugh for the day :)

Angry, tilting at imaginary windmills, battling with trolls and demons. Sadly the only ones he found had to be us, fellow humans... 

@David there are a lot of Atheists here against one - Dearest David, I am not 'against you' I just feel so sorry for you, and just want to pat you on the head and say, "Everything will be alright, there,there.'

I think that DH is mature enough to find his way, sadly he might need to rebuild his rudder and sails while at sea!

D.H said:
"Have you ever heard of a patent clerk named Albert Einstein? Or a secretary named Jane Goodall? They were ordinary people who had ideas that were dismissed by Ph.Ds. Just a thought."

OMdoG, DH just compared himself to Albert Einstein and Jane Goodall. LOL

Hey Dave for your next trick will you compare yourself with another famous scientist?

D.H. does make for fun reading. :)

Claiming to be bright, is ok. Claiming to have deeper wisdom than others does open one up to the 'extream claims' provision of honesty. It appears that DH has not yet satisfied any demand to justify an 'extream claim'.

It might be that DH will not learn anything about atheism, or we about the bible, but honesty can be a worthy pursuit! I support this deeper quest...

@Archy - Gee, Archy, how many times have I told you, you must 'Play Nice', with Unseen, but even more so christians, especially when they are angry and unhappy. They can't help 'believing' in a vicious, malicious tantrum throwing god, apparently. They can't seem to help throwing vitriole at anybody who disagrees with them, or show them real interpretations, mistakes and contradictions in their book, and saying really bad words. I just close my eyes, and don't read such words. What happened to polite discussion and debate, I just don't know. They just can't help themselves. He is delusional, so one mustn't make fun of such people. One must feel sorry for them :)

I don't know what I could have been thinking --

I keep thinking that we have a web of theists that are testing methods of getting the atheist goat, but are so bad at it, or disturbed, that they are just bugs on a windshield. So far most of the theist folks make extream claims of deep knowledge, that mear mortals might not be able to obtain.

Getting lost in the deep history and mental unsettledness of people that came before, must be a horrible quest that some of us indulge. Trying to find 'God' in words, seems condusive to becoming lost in details and interpritation. The sciences should be a wonderful respite from this, atleast we might find some place marginally confortable to stand.  

@James Cox - Nah, not co-dependancy, husbands and wives, partners etc children and parents etc. etc. are co-dependents but here, or on Atheist sites generally, it is co-respect. Just, and yet again, another misuse of words from a christian, who is not a christian??? yet follows a bible. How could he do anything else, really, when he misconstrues and ignores what he sees and reads. One must feel pity, really :(

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service