Hello, everyone. I was an atheist until at the age of 27 I began to study the Bible in order to debunk it. I learned quickly that the Bible was grossly misrepresented by apostate Christendom's adoption of pagan teachings such as the immortal soul from Socrates, the trinity from Plato, the cross from Constantine, hell from Dante and Milton, Easter from Astarte, Christmas from the winter solstice celebrations, and most recently the Rapture from Darby.

Though I have never and will never be a part of organized religion, my beliefs are not entirely dissimilar to that of The Jehovah's Witnesses, due to the removal of the aforementioned pagan influence. I have studied briefly the history of the major world religions, Buddhism, Christianity, Confucianism, Hinduism, Islam, Judaism, Shintoism and Taoism and have published sacred and non-sacred texts from each of these online: The Dhammapada, Four Noble Truths, Paradise Lost, Divine Comedy, Analects Of Confucius, Bhagavad Gita, Qur'an, Pirqe Aboth, Nihongi, Kojiki, Tao Te Ching and Chuang Tzu.

Having been an atheist most of my life and given that nearly everyone I know is atheist, I think I understand and respect where most of you are coming from. I don't believe in "converting" anyone to anything, but I do think the atheist tends to be mislead when it comes to the Bible. Not that that matters much, except for that I do enjoy, given the opportunity, to correct them in thoughtful and polite discussion and debate.

I hope we can have some interesting conversations.

Views: 3322

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Is there a disclaimer or flow chart somewhere for new 'recruits' to TA, something like:

A) "If you are a Theist, but only interested in insults or evangelism, goto (G) below."  

B) "If you are a dedicated Theist, but come to TA for respectful conversation and education, goto (F) below."

C)) "If you are a Theist, but curious about TA, and willing to be respectful, goto (F) below."

D) "If you are an excaping Theist, or closet Atheist, goto (F) below

E) "If you are an 'out' Atheist, seeking fellowship, education, etc, goto (F) below."

F) "Welcome, please join TA!"

G) "Get lost, we have just about heard everything that a Theist can spout as a monologue! If you must join, then expect a take-no prisoners response."      

I'm gonna miss that boy. Yuck, yuck, yuck.

I hope David returns to continue the dialogue. 

If you consider the evolutionary origins of religious thought going back to animism and other primitive belief systems involving agents and the supernatural I don't understand the reluctance by many to necessarily lump all religious belief in the same basket. To me the fact that original belief systems are based on ignorance, misconceptions and misguided inferences invalidates any subsequent supernatural belief systems. If the original notions of supernatural agents is predicated on fallacy then all subsequent notions are equally false. How could one reach a point where they believe that at some specific point along the social/cultural development of religious thought that suddenly there is validity and truth to a specific belief system? It's nonsensical.

I can understand the need by some to rely on something greater than themselves to deal with the cruel realities of life and our own mortality. But believing something, via faith or otherwise, does not automatically lend credibility to the notion. And is our world a better place to harbor these beliefs? I'm not so sure.

Ed,

Sorry. I've had some PC problems and then started working on my website. What dialogue, specifically?

@RobertPiano - Yep, after a few weeks, yet another appears - starting off just wanting a civil discussion, blaydy blah etc, then they tend to get very angry, as atheists know their bible, and expose them to the truth, which, for some funny reason - they just don't like. A real doozy was Student of Knowledge who believed god was talking to an angel, then the angel was talking to a bloke called Marshall Summers, who was putting it around, (he had books on the subject) that aliens were inhabiting humans and taking over the world. He was serious. Note the tonal change in this blokes first blog, then at the end of his posts. Their tone changes at the end of pages of discussion, some even claim to be atheists, which is codswallop. Being a very civilzed group :) these people are treated with respect, until they show their true colours, never answer a question, then they have the gall to disappear, just when they are being called out on their mythical friends.

Sadly, it seemed that the 'aliens' were not all that more rational, than their hosts. Maybe the 'Reptilians', are mostly interested in free room and board, not plantary conquest?

The movie, mid-80's, 'They Live', might be a good example of aliens with cooperative conquest interests, except for the mind control part. I wonder if some of these folks use the movie, 'They Live', as a documentary? Some of us live in desparate, but imaginary times, others, not so much. Maybe our day to day life has become so booring that fantacy has become a preferable mind state?  

I think that's pretty much a given, James, considering how much of are lives are consumed by television, movies and video games.

LOL
David H. is back....where did I put the Penicillin.
LOL

Interesting, Gregg - there are a lot of atheists here against one - but I don't recall having said three words to you.

I just heard a gurgling sound...was that DH gasping for breath...doG I hope he in doesn't drown in the sea of knowledge and logic.
:( I'm gonna miss that boy...good christian lad that he was. :(

Gregg, I wouldn't call myself good or Christian. Another atheist assumption incorrect.

Another one lost to fear and a deluded mindset?

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service