Hello, everyone. I was an atheist until at the age of 27 I began to study the Bible in order to debunk it. I learned quickly that the Bible was grossly misrepresented by apostate Christendom's adoption of pagan teachings such as the immortal soul from Socrates, the trinity from Plato, the cross from Constantine, hell from Dante and Milton, Easter from Astarte, Christmas from the winter solstice celebrations, and most recently the Rapture from Darby.

Though I have never and will never be a part of organized religion, my beliefs are not entirely dissimilar to that of The Jehovah's Witnesses, due to the removal of the aforementioned pagan influence. I have studied briefly the history of the major world religions, Buddhism, Christianity, Confucianism, Hinduism, Islam, Judaism, Shintoism and Taoism and have published sacred and non-sacred texts from each of these online: The Dhammapada, Four Noble Truths, Paradise Lost, Divine Comedy, Analects Of Confucius, Bhagavad Gita, Qur'an, Pirqe Aboth, Nihongi, Kojiki, Tao Te Ching and Chuang Tzu.

Having been an atheist most of my life and given that nearly everyone I know is atheist, I think I understand and respect where most of you are coming from. I don't believe in "converting" anyone to anything, but I do think the atheist tends to be mislead when it comes to the Bible. Not that that matters much, except for that I do enjoy, given the opportunity, to correct them in thoughtful and polite discussion and debate.

I hope we can have some interesting conversations.

Views: 3392

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've said it before. I'm here to educate the atheist misconceptions of the Bible. For discussion and debate.

Educating others involves imparting general knowledge and helping them develop powers of reason, judgment, and critical thinking. You come across as illiterate of basic empirical science, epistemology and critical thinking skills. But more importantly, you respond to difficult questions not with thoughtfulness or evidence, but with resistance, hostility, incongruity, ignorance, and abuse, while attacking others falsely for lacking substance and sense when they are only lacking in what you yourself assert. 

Your claims amount to this: the Bible doesn't mean what it says, or what any Christian religion says, the Bible means what YOU say.

When you first came here with that I really thought you were joking. I got the joke once I realized you weren't kidding, that you actually think you're some kind of scholar, capable of "educating" others in this way. That's an astounding joke and that you have no idea how feeble and childish you actually sound is what makes it so funny,    

Whether you stick around or disappear back where you came from, I would spare you any misconception that most of us experience you any other way.  

Yes, this is how 'truth' works for theists.  For the theist, truth is not discerned, rendered or distilled - it is asserted.  Entirely new cults can be founded simply by one personality being able to assert, over the weaker minded, the truth.  This leaves the theist unable to understand why such tactics do not work with Atheists - for the theist is unable to use evidence to persuade reason.

We're all SO relieved, we thought you had been raptured --

Arch,

The Rapture isn't a Bible teaching so it wouldn't surprise me if you had actually thought that. If I go any where it will likely be that I'm banned. I've posted something like 13 times in the Bible forum only to have the post deleted without reason.

I don't mind asshole atheists shooting their mouths off but I don't hang around forums where good stuff is deleted by asshole atheists.

Well, you can certainly feel free to not hang around here - I really can't see that you're contributing anything.

Well, you can certainly feel free to not hang around here - I really can't see that you're contributing anything.

Of course you can't. And then when I leave you react to that as well. Atheist forums are shinning examples of codependent personalities.

So why come to an atheist forum if you despise them so much? 

It seems to me that my understanding of polite thoughtful debate is not the same as your understanding of the same.  The reason that this thread is not a debate is simply that you are not posturing anything that can't be dealt with by kindergarten atheists. 

You want to have us all accept that the biblical sky was always believed to be empty space.  Take that piece out of the puzzle and you will immediately fall over the Noah's flood story.  Where did all the water come from to flood the world, if not from the watery firmament?

Actually, please don't tell me.  I'm pretty sure I will be left yearning for the GodDidIt explanation.

Our boy D.H. said:

"I don't mind asshole atheists shooting their mouths off but I don't hang around forums where good stuff is deleted by asshole atheists."

Well at least we're consistant....I just love "asshole atheists" they're so sweet. :)

AND

Damnit I missed all the "good stuff" that got deleted (and a small but deliberate tear appears at the edge of his eye).

'Asshole Atheists'? Hum. I have much more experience with using the term 'Asshole' in reference to theists, but still think that useage is more mean than helpful.

Why would you desire to post here if it causes you so much pain? Surely your wisdom is so much greater than ours, it must be below you to even share a breath on the same planet as the rest of us. For me, aspiring to wisdom, implies a deeper humility, not a greater vanity. What does the Bible say about vanity and wisdom? Did you miss this all important lesson?  

Blaine, these are essentially the same words as the author of the website, In the Name of Allah:

Almost all human beings are 'indoctrinated' by their parents, their society and their culture to grow up believing what they have been taught. No human being chooses his or her beliefs at birth. We all, Muhammadans,   Moussawis (Jews),  Christians,   Buddhists, Hindus,  Animists, etc.,  are the end product of our upbringing. None of us ever chose the ideas, beliefs, doctrines and traditions that we hold since we never had any choice in the matter. None of us are 'guilty' of who and what we end up as, whether  Muslims,   Jews, Christians or otherwise.   We are all 'victims' of years of relentless and unremitting 'programming'.

Belief is not rational. It does not lend itself or tolerate questioning, investigation, modification or contradiction. It is an ALL or NOTHING state of mind. It is totally fixed in Time and Space.

Blaine,

Religion is, in a basic sense, belief. Belief is like choice in that Rush song. "If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice." If you choose not to believe you still have a belief. 

When atheists ask me what if I were born in China, would I be a Buddhist? The same could be asked of them. I was born an atheist in the Bible belt, were my atheist beliefs a product of Mind Control or Inheritance? No. They were a product of ignorance. Had I been born and raised a Christian the answer would be the same. A product of ignorance.

That is why I try, in vain, of course, to educate people on the Bible. Not to make ignorant Christians or Atheists but rather to make informed Christians or Atheists. At least as much as this is possible. 

I didn't realize that that many words could have so little content.

RSS

Forum

Torture Report release today

Started by Unseen in Ethics & Morals. Last reply by Simon Mathews 1 hour ago. 113 Replies

My Grandpa died last week

Started by Physeter in Small Talk. Last reply by Simon Mathews 2 hours ago. 6 Replies

Great retorts

Started by Unseen in Quotes. Last reply by Wesley 8 hours ago. 13 Replies

Is There Any Ex-Mennonites or Ex-Amish On This Site?

Started by Jessica Miller in Advice. Last reply by Physeter 12 hours ago. 25 Replies

Blog Posts

Pabst Blue Ribbon to the rescue!

Posted by Ed on December 15, 2014 at 9:33pm 0 Comments

Finally, a cool billboard in Arkansas!

Posted by Ed on December 15, 2014 at 8:21am 2 Comments

Atheist Sites

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service