Hello, everyone. I was an atheist until at the age of 27 I began to study the Bible in order to debunk it. I learned quickly that the Bible was grossly misrepresented by apostate Christendom's adoption of pagan teachings such as the immortal soul from Socrates, the trinity from Plato, the cross from Constantine, hell from Dante and Milton, Easter from Astarte, Christmas from the winter solstice celebrations, and most recently the Rapture from Darby.

Though I have never and will never be a part of organized religion, my beliefs are not entirely dissimilar to that of The Jehovah's Witnesses, due to the removal of the aforementioned pagan influence. I have studied briefly the history of the major world religions, Buddhism, Christianity, Confucianism, Hinduism, Islam, Judaism, Shintoism and Taoism and have published sacred and non-sacred texts from each of these online: The Dhammapada, Four Noble Truths, Paradise Lost, Divine Comedy, Analects Of Confucius, Bhagavad Gita, Qur'an, Pirqe Aboth, Nihongi, Kojiki, Tao Te Ching and Chuang Tzu.

Having been an atheist most of my life and given that nearly everyone I know is atheist, I think I understand and respect where most of you are coming from. I don't believe in "converting" anyone to anything, but I do think the atheist tends to be mislead when it comes to the Bible. Not that that matters much, except for that I do enjoy, given the opportunity, to correct them in thoughtful and polite discussion and debate.

I hope we can have some interesting conversations.

Views: 3373

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

How do we know this is the one true David Henson?

Funny, Amanda!

I'm fairly new here. I think all the initial responders assumed he was sincere. Is infiltration such as this common? Ever have fakes looking to score a conversion? Or perhaps just simply putting their own faith to the test in the "lions den?" It was all very entertaining and I can't wait for the next imposter.

Robert, we have them coming here every few months guns blazing or innocently like he pretended to do and leave almost within a week when they find this place to hot.

If you have time and go through the older discussions, you sure will find some theists' posts that are equally interesting.

Conversion isn't the intention of a true Christian, it is education. As much as you all think you know the Bible and know what I'm doing here, you don't have a clue.

Sorry, David Henson, but the last time we disagreed on the bible it turned out that those with doctorates were on my side and all you had were some semi-literate evangelicals backing your point.  If you still think you know the bible better than I then you are almost as deluded about that as you are about your Bronze Age magical beliefs.

Heather,

You have never said anything of any substance to me. You keep shouting Liberty U to discredit me or because you have a chip on your shoulder. That is the primary focus of your interaction with me.

You have no substance and you bore me.

The vague references you have made of "scholars" means nothing to anyone. Especially to me. If you can't understand the Bible then please keep quite about it. If your "scholars" can refute my position then use them to do so and stop making droll comments with no substance.

I don't recall having called Heather an "asshole atheist." Not that it hadn't crossed my mind. I can be angry, tense, impatient and frustrated, these things are human.

Vulgar language. Now that is an interesting statement. To me, and this has been true since I was a child for it is the way I was raised, there is no "vulgar language." Intellectuals and religious hypocrites tend to decide such things. They will both tell you that you shouldn't use certain words, but the intellectuals can't tell you why and the religious can't show you where those same words appear in their sacred texts.

I can do both. So you turn your back on me and the only thing you have accomplished is saving my time.

Actually, it isn't difficult to explain why vulgar words are somewhat shunned. Words are symbolic representations for other concepts. Some words, along with their literal or figurative meanings, symbolize disdain, contempt, disrespect, impoliteness as well as other things. Generally speaking, certain words are reserved for those sorts of effects (though not everyone always agrees on polite versus impolite speech). If you call someone an 'asshole', the commonly understood sentiment is indecent disrespect (or sometimes indecent endearment amongst friends who joke that way). If indecency isn't the goal, it is advisable to choose different wording.

These words are vulgar because they are used, symbolically, to represent vulgar sentiments. Not really a difficult concept.

@David Henson

We already disagreed about what was meant by the firmament - and I supported my understanding of it with an article written by a Ph.D. in ancient civilizations and languages, who has a masters in divinity and who also happens to be a Christian - just to avoid accusations of sourcing biased authorities.

You, on the other hand, tried to support your assertion by referencing a 19th century evangelist and some other insignificant figure in terms of biblical interpretation.

I knew in advance that my much better supported assertion would be meaningless to you because Christians can't process facts and are, by the nature of their intellectually dishonest position, repulsed by them.  You've not presented yourself any differently than any other theists who come in here trying to 'set us straight'.

In point of fact, you are excellent evidence of the hostile, anti-intellectual nature of Christianity.  I'm glad you've come here to publicly document your intellectual dishonesty in a way that is very consistent with the growing body of posts by theists just like you.  Thank you.

Heather,

I don't have time to read links by Ph.D.s in ancient civilizations and languages. If that is the best that you can do, please don't bother. I didn't come here to read the Ph.D. I came here to read you.

Tell me, what is the difference between the "19th century evangelist" and modern day astronomers I used and the Ph.D?

Oh, and I'm not a Christian. Why is it that everything you people say is factually incorrect? Such free thinkers so familiar with Ph.Ds should know when to shut up, don't you think?

RE: "I'm not a Christian" - actually, ever since you've been here, you've danced around telling us WHAT you are or what you believe (which I realize fits your agenda of not allowing us to refute you, but must make it equally hard to convert anyone!), so lay it out for us, or go away. None of us has time for head games - except possibly Unseen.

RSS

Forum

In Defense of ‘Islamophobia’

Started by Brian Daurelle in Society. Last reply by Davis Goodman 1 hour ago. 48 Replies

Awe struck

Started by Davis Goodman in Small Talk. Last reply by Davis Goodman 2 hours ago. 26 Replies

The Shinto Flower among the Weeds of Religion

Started by Cato Rigas in Advice. Last reply by Ward Cressin 9 hours ago. 7 Replies

Blog Posts

A Life-Changing Confrontation

Posted by Belle Rose on October 23, 2014 at 2:55am 2 Comments

Life Condensed

Posted by Cato Rigas on October 19, 2014 at 8:30pm 3 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service