Hello, everyone. I was an atheist until at the age of 27 I began to study the Bible in order to debunk it. I learned quickly that the Bible was grossly misrepresented by apostate Christendom's adoption of pagan teachings such as the immortal soul from Socrates, the trinity from Plato, the cross from Constantine, hell from Dante and Milton, Easter from Astarte, Christmas from the winter solstice celebrations, and most recently the Rapture from Darby.

Though I have never and will never be a part of organized religion, my beliefs are not entirely dissimilar to that of The Jehovah's Witnesses, due to the removal of the aforementioned pagan influence. I have studied briefly the history of the major world religions, Buddhism, Christianity, Confucianism, Hinduism, Islam, Judaism, Shintoism and Taoism and have published sacred and non-sacred texts from each of these online: The Dhammapada, Four Noble Truths, Paradise Lost, Divine Comedy, Analects Of Confucius, Bhagavad Gita, Qur'an, Pirqe Aboth, Nihongi, Kojiki, Tao Te Ching and Chuang Tzu.

Having been an atheist most of my life and given that nearly everyone I know is atheist, I think I understand and respect where most of you are coming from. I don't believe in "converting" anyone to anything, but I do think the atheist tends to be mislead when it comes to the Bible. Not that that matters much, except for that I do enjoy, given the opportunity, to correct them in thoughtful and polite discussion and debate.

I hope we can have some interesting conversations.

Views: 3396

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here you go, Arch :)

Nice try, but I can still see Palin's face and that innocuous smile --(shudders)

Now, let me see... 

Energy.

Budget cuts.

Tax.

Lift American spirits.

You HAD to show me Palin again - what are you trying to do, put my sex life on permanent hold?!

I agree completely. This should be amusing

He left just in time.  I was just going to call up the local JW chapter and tell them I now see theirs is the one true God and ask them if they would accept a wretched sinner like me.  My hesitation was having to be so well-dressed all the time.Phew!

Good thing you didn't, Diane.  A rejection often offends.....

Is there a disclaimer or flow chart somewhere for new 'recruits' to TA, something like:

A) "If you are a Theist, but only interested in insults or evangelism, goto (G) below."  

B) "If you are a dedicated Theist, but come to TA for respectful conversation and education, goto (F) below."

C)) "If you are a Theist, but curious about TA, and willing to be respectful, goto (F) below."

D) "If you are an excaping Theist, or closet Atheist, goto (F) below

E) "If you are an 'out' Atheist, seeking fellowship, education, etc, goto (F) below."

F) "Welcome, please join TA!"

G) "Get lost, we have just about heard everything that a Theist can spout as a monologue! If you must join, then expect a take-no prisoners response."      

I'm gonna miss that boy. Yuck, yuck, yuck.

I hope David returns to continue the dialogue. 

If you consider the evolutionary origins of religious thought going back to animism and other primitive belief systems involving agents and the supernatural I don't understand the reluctance by many to necessarily lump all religious belief in the same basket. To me the fact that original belief systems are based on ignorance, misconceptions and misguided inferences invalidates any subsequent supernatural belief systems. If the original notions of supernatural agents is predicated on fallacy then all subsequent notions are equally false. How could one reach a point where they believe that at some specific point along the social/cultural development of religious thought that suddenly there is validity and truth to a specific belief system? It's nonsensical.

I can understand the need by some to rely on something greater than themselves to deal with the cruel realities of life and our own mortality. But believing something, via faith or otherwise, does not automatically lend credibility to the notion. And is our world a better place to harbor these beliefs? I'm not so sure.

Ed,

Sorry. I've had some PC problems and then started working on my website. What dialogue, specifically?

@RobertPiano - Yep, after a few weeks, yet another appears - starting off just wanting a civil discussion, blaydy blah etc, then they tend to get very angry, as atheists know their bible, and expose them to the truth, which, for some funny reason - they just don't like. A real doozy was Student of Knowledge who believed god was talking to an angel, then the angel was talking to a bloke called Marshall Summers, who was putting it around, (he had books on the subject) that aliens were inhabiting humans and taking over the world. He was serious. Note the tonal change in this blokes first blog, then at the end of his posts. Their tone changes at the end of pages of discussion, some even claim to be atheists, which is codswallop. Being a very civilzed group :) these people are treated with respect, until they show their true colours, never answer a question, then they have the gall to disappear, just when they are being called out on their mythical friends.

RSS

Forum

The Elephant in the Room...

Started by Belle Rose in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 2 hours ago. 3 Replies

Ear-piercing a baby

Started by Simon Mathews in Atheist Parenting. Last reply by Erock68la 7 hours ago. 25 Replies

My Grandpa died last week

Started by Physeter in Small Talk. Last reply by Pope Beanie 8 hours ago. 9 Replies

Torture Report release today

Started by Unseen in Ethics & Morals. Last reply by Pope Beanie 9 hours ago. 134 Replies

Is There Any Ex-Mennonites or Ex-Amish On This Site?

Started by Jessica Miller in Advice. Last reply by Belle Rose 17 hours ago. 27 Replies

Blog Posts

How did that happen?

Posted by Belle Rose on December 19, 2014 at 4:36am 6 Comments

Pabst Blue Ribbon to the rescue!

Posted by Ed on December 15, 2014 at 9:33pm 0 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service