36% of Americans believe in UFOs, that is, though most Unidentified Aerial Phenomena are actually explained as such mundane things as misidentified meteorological phenomena, astronomical phenomena, aircraft, and so on, there's ~ 5% that are as yet unexplained and that these unexplained UFOs are machines from somewhere other than Earth.

Have you ever observed a UFO that has never been sufficiently explained? Do you believe that some unexplained UFOs are machines from somewhere other than Earth? If so, why (what are your reasons or arguments for believing so)? What evidence is there to support your belief?

Views: 671

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That's impressive, but nothing like my grandmother lived through.

Exactly.

Over my 58 years I have seen alot. Space craft going from science fiction to science fact. From SF Super Computers controling or distroying the world, to nearly becoming household appliences. The tricorder to Star Trek, going from, 'hay that would be nice', to a real tool in development.

SF Robots as monsters or maids, becoming maids, capital equipment, entertainment, Mars explorers, and maybe monsters in time. I remember one afternoon, while at work. I over heard over the PA system, 'The robots have arived at shipping bay 6, will the engineers and installation crews please meet at bay 6 in 15 minutes'. I had always only heard, 'the robots are coming', we are 'working on robots', etc before, never that 'they have arived'. This was in 1995.

In my office I can now take data, build mathematical models, take slices of data sets, map/run regressions, and visualize in ways I could not do about 20 years ago. I can now see 'what if', play out in my machine, and I am now concerned about the questions about nature and the 'progress' of culture. A computer can be used as a microscope, a time machine, a number crucher, a brain extender, and a source of vision. I am beginning to think that the machine, as a validation for future fears, might be reasonable.   

Regardless of the technical possibility, I can't see mankind having the motivation to spend a dime on space exploration under the known laws of physics. Why would a society spend billions to launch a craft that no one alive will ever see again or ever receive any report on findings. Even at the speed of light, there are only a handful of stars reachable in a human lifetime (setting aside the whole "time-doesn't-exist-at-that-speed" problem).

I think we'd only be interested in worm-hole technology where someone steps onto a transporter and a moment later steps off and says, "I've just spent two years on a planet in Andromeda. Here are some snap shots.".

And there's no real indication that if wormholes do exist, anything survives a trip through one intact, much less that they can be certain of returning. It's a very very very iffy thing.

Why would a society spend billions to launch a craft that no one alive will ever see again or ever receive any report on findings.

That's a great question. I can think of two circumstances under which a one-way trip to the stars could happen.

1. For what Stephen Hawking describes as the sake of humanity's long-term survival.

2. The technology of space travel falls within the reach of private interests. Then all you need are a few nuts and isolationists. When the pilgrims left Europe for the Americas for them it really was like moving to another planet. Imagine 2,000 years from now a few billionaire Scientologists build their own spaceship, gather a few hundred followers, and say bye. Then they spend the next 5,000 years heading to an earth-like planet which they intend to colonize for Xenu. 

There was a SF short story recently, that mentions this idea of 'copy of human mind'. The point being, to man a probe to be sent into a black hole, to make observations and send telemetry back to a base ship, significantly far away from the event horison. The story is from the avatar perspective, they knowing full well that it is a one way trip. I felt very touched by the story, watching how the avatar personalities slowly diverged from the 'normals' at the base ship, with fears of their own demise and concerns of mortality. 

Did you miss  Gallup's Mirror's comment on page 5?

Of course we're just in our evolutionary infancy - so much so that I think most people, including myself, are unable to conceptualize time stopping even though it seems to be a logical continuation of special relativity. Speeds considerably FASTER than the speed of light would seem to be a requirement for interstellar travel if one discounts scientific contradictions and the bending of time necessitated by special relativity.

If any of this is AT ALL possible, we'll never know it. We might as well be having a serious discussion on how to get warp engines to achieve speeds greater than warp 12

We might as well be having a serious discussion on how to get warp engines to achieve speeds greater than warp 12

Well, first you take the warp field envelope and use a transporter to beam it ahead of the starship...  ;)

I read about model for time travel once, a few years ago. Take a door, one side is the present, the other side is tomarrow. When you walk though the door looks the same. I was wondering if you walked just around the door again it would act like recusion when you walk through again adding one more day to the last system state, if you walk back would you meet yourself....? Ok where is the damn door? 

Some people get all the perks writing dudu...;p) 

What makes you so sure we're in our evolutionary infancy? Do you know something we don't know about the future? To me, right now, it looks like our species is careening toward extinction!

An even sadder story: what if we are in our evolutionary infancy and we're careening toward extinction?

RSS

Forum

Awe struck

Started by Davis Goodman in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 8 hours ago. 40 Replies

where when how who why ?

Started by aubrey knows nothing * in Small Talk. Last reply by Davis Goodman 8 hours ago. 5 Replies

I don't know what to say

Started by Belle Rose in Atheist Parenting. Last reply by Ward Cressin 13 hours ago. 2 Replies

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service