I posted this in another place and I don't think I hit the right place.

After the devastating tornadoes in Oklahoma which killed many people including children, one of the statements made by someone being interviewed was that the lord giveth and the lord taketh away.

How could anyone want to believe in such a monster?  

What is the group's take on such statements as this?

Tags: insanity

Views: 1121

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Have you ever met any kids in Ethopia?

Many of them are much happier than many kids in the U.S.   The suicide rate, at least, is lower.

Only a guess, no stats to back it up, but I'd bet that expectations and the suicide rate tend to run in tandem.

If I remember correctly, there was a decent set of anthropological studies summarized in SciAm a couple of years ago that showed high correlations of teen angst with western-style schooling.  Warehousing kids, leaving them with videos and such so adults can go do adult things.  The poorer countries where teens were expected to work alongside adults, as young adult apprentices, did not have anywhere near the teen mental health issues that we do.

There are far more profound forms of poverty than material poverty. 

You're obviously not a Christian. They don't view death as a big deal because, at least for the faithful, death is the gateway to something even better. (Pardon me, I just threw up a little bit into my mouth.)

It's completely unsurprising to me.  Religion sucks and blows at the same time.  They thank the lord for good things as the work of god and thank the lord for bad things as a test of faith.  These people need to start using their brains

Another man being interviewed made the statement that god has his reasons for doing what he did.  Utter rot.

One problem, Ron, especially for an older person, regarding abandoning religion, is that to do so, requires admitting your stupidity for a lifetime of belief in the first place, and that's a hard pill to swallow.

Well, this is my comment on the Huffington Post website, reporting on the tornado, and it's basically the answer I would give here:

If you believe in "the Lord," then you have to believe he caused this to happen, you can't have it both ways and say, "Well, the Bad Guy did the bad stuff and the Good Guy did the good stuff." Is it an equal partnership, or is one in charge of the other? If so, which one has the sign on his desk that reads, "The buck stops here"?

Here's a return comment I got:

Taiyo   May 22, 2013 at 11:41am

LOL! Maybe there's a "good god" and a "bad god." I'm an athiest, too, and have always wondered why the hypocrites will say either, "god is punishing us because we tolerate gay people" or "god saved us from this disaster." All my life I've been told that god loves ALL of us, but this implies that god is very choosy about who he destroys and who he saves. JMHO

There are a lot of us out there --

Interestingly, my first comment went through immediately, my second was "awaiting approval" - was it something i said?

@Arch - They simply wanted enough time to gather enough people to give you a round of applause.  That's always the way I interpret the reason for the waiting for approval.

Then I can relax, secure in the knowledge that you're always right --

Ah...the mystery of Jesus. Why did he kill them? We have been driving around in our van all day looking for clues. Even the dog has given up.

RSS

Forum

In Defense of ‘Islamophobia’

Started by Brian Daurelle in Society. Last reply by Gary Clouse 28 minutes ago. 47 Replies

Awe struck

Started by Davis Goodman in Small Talk. Last reply by Davis Goodman 34 minutes ago. 26 Replies

The Shinto Flower among the Weeds of Religion

Started by Cato Rigas in Advice. Last reply by Ward Cressin 7 hours ago. 7 Replies

Blog Posts

A Life-Changing Confrontation

Posted by Belle Rose on October 23, 2014 at 2:55am 3 Comments

Life Condensed

Posted by Cato Rigas on October 19, 2014 at 8:30pm 3 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service