I believe that many people get confused about the term "Atheist." Is an Atheist just a person who doesn't believe in a supreme being or is there more to it? How does one become Atheist? What is it like be in a world that is dominated by religion? Please give me your feedback on this topic. Help me gain insight on the Atheist community so to speak. 

Tags: Knowledge, is, power!

Views: 528

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Far be it from me to discount your analogy, but the only good spider is a crushed spider, whether you eat it or not --

I think there could be an error with the "..nobody in their surrounds has taught them how to tell the two apart." 

I really think they know, but the social conditioning makes demands on their common sense, to always silence doubt, and replace it with constantly refluxing dogma. A little like an invasive thought, or a well composed piece of music that you just can't get out of your head!

I do have a few of these as part of my chemistry education, like 'Leo and his Ger', 'Leo= loses electrons oxidises', 'Ger= gains electrons reduces', and 'PI=3.141592657...'. Happily, I can control these just by making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, or checking the statis of our junk food inventory...;p).

Freud and infants.

Sadly, for some, they wish to know how we got to 'here'.

Looking back, it feels that for some, it was an easy walk in the park. For others, a vast web of cruel moments, tortured trust, slamed doors, and love betrayed. And then others, a life time of study, moments of insight, and testing of boundaries. I wonder how many of us might consider our destination as an outcome similar to the lives of Old Testiment characters.

Job anyone?   

The letter "A" means "non", the word "theist" means something different to every person who chooses to wear the "Theist" label.

I don't wear the "Atheist" label myself, I'm a self described "Realistic Absolutist" ie. That which is real is true, absolutely true unto itself.

There are no doGs, only doG lovers and they can't be trusted.

Hope that helps.

There are as many type of atheist as there are atheists.

In my own humble opinion, what term means is a person who does not believe in (is not convinced of) the existence of god(s).  I have seen this usage about as frequently as the slightly stronger one, which holds that atheism means belief (conviction) that there is/are no god(s).  It is a small but vital difference.

Many Christians would have you believe that it means someone who believes in god but denies it, or someone who hates god or, in some extreme cases, a Satanist.

just no belief in gods,keep it simple;)

RSS

Forum

Awe struck

Started by Davis Goodman in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 42 minutes ago. 40 Replies

where when how who why ?

Started by aubrey knows nothing * in Small Talk. Last reply by Davis Goodman 1 hour ago. 5 Replies

I don't know what to say

Started by Belle Rose in Atheist Parenting. Last reply by Ward Cressin 6 hours ago. 2 Replies

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service