So I have a sleight issue. I am an Atheist and my girlfriend is a Catholic (her mom is kind of hardcore). Any time that the issue of religion comes up I can't really say anything without getting the "stop attacking my faith" line out of her. It is really starting to agrivate me because I try to be as respecful as possible, but to no avail. I really do love her and want to resolve this somehow, what do I do?

Tags: Girlfriend, advice, atheism, catholicism, christianity, conflict, faith, help, relationship, religion

Views: 669

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Lol I always find if funny to see a thread go from one topic to another. I know that it can do that. When I was younger I dated a Jehovah's Witness (don't ask me why, I have no good reason) for 6 months and that one was just weird. It ended due to her religion (thank goodness for that one). Anyway I don't know of a relationship that turned downhill faster than that one lol
I am curious if many Atheists are attracted to Catholics and Christians. Many people commenting (thank you all by the way) seem to be in long term relationships with religious people. It seems interesting to me :)

Hi Sam

I'm wondering if a lot of the time people talk about 'their religion" in terms of  their baptism and not so much what they practice.

I could say that I am Greek Orthodox because thats how im baptized but I dont practice it.

I get on well with religious people because in the end we all want the same things. We all want peace.  I had a great conversation in the street today with a man who was carrying a really nice stained glass window. It had some religious icons on it and that got me talking and asking questions. He identified himsef as a Christian an I an atheist and we had a really good chat.  Its just the hardcore ones I have a problem with and Im sure that you have a problem with them ones too, so we are pretty much the same. We should be helping each other really and not arguing about 2000 year old rules.

Sam - are you Christian? I thought you were and I wrote that post as if you were but if your not - ooops sorry :/

I am not religious at all. I am about as Atheist as they come :)

lol

but you know what i mean?

Tell her that while you respect her beliefs, they are not your beliefs,and that you would like to leave it at that.

RSS

Blog Posts

People

Posted by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp on July 28, 2014 at 10:27pm 3 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service