Immigration office tells atheist applicant to prove church membership

Margaret Doughty, 64, of Palacios, Texas applied to become a citizen of the United States, but on her application she did not agree to bear arms in defense of the United States because she was morally opposed to killing. Naturalization applicants are required to swear such an an oath, but conscientious objectors can obtain an exemption.

Article here

Tags: ethics, immigrant, immigration

Views: 178

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is a violation of The First Amendment. It is absolutely pitiful that her objection can't be taken seriously simply because it does not come from a religious conviction.
Society, especially the religious community should realize that some individuals do not need a god or religion to have a moral compass.
As an immigrant myself, I look forward to when I qualify to become a citizen of America (I still have years of waiting) but one thing that I'm not fond of is America's obsession with the idea of a general American religion and god, the need to have everyone be a Christian in order to be a good or true American.

she did get approved and the religion aspect was dropped.http://dividedundergod.com/2013/06/20/margaret-doughty-awarded-citi...

Whoever was requiring her to join a church was (a) disobeying the explicit law of the US and (b) making no sense because many people are religious without belonging to any church.

LOL I found this funny. Apparently you can't be a conscientious objector without a religion. Nonsense. But yea she did get approved.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service