Mount Dora Dr. Jack Cassell's anti-Obama stance sparks firestorm nationwide

Urologist stands firm, appears on national news as blogosphere erupts over sign telling Obama voters to go elsewhere

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/os-florida-doctor-shuns-obama-supporters-20100403,0,2153100.story

MOUNT DORA — Doug Bell isn't a patient of Dr. Jack Cassell's, but he almost wishes he were.

The Sorrento salesman heard about the firestorm over a sign that the
Mount Dora urologist posted on his office door — it reads, "If you voted for Obama…seek urologic care elsewhere" — and wanted to see it himself.

"We need more people like him to speak out and take a stand against Obama-care," said Bell, 37, who snapped a picture of the sign Friday with his camera phone and planned to post it on his
Facebook page.

Reaction was swift and passionate to news of Cassell's declaration as friends and foes weighed in online and over the phone, emailing and calling the doctor's office in Mount Dora to commend or castigate him.

Fueled by Internet sites such as the Drudge Report and the Huffington Post, which linked subscribers to the Orlando Sentinel story, Cassell received invitations to appear on several national radio and TV programs, notably Neil Cavuto's
Fox News show and AC360, a CNN news and commentary program hosted by Anderson Cooper. He appeared on Fox and accepted Cooper's invite Friday night.

Not everyone was a fan.

"If I was one of his patients, I would not walk away, I'd run," said Patsy Robertson, 73, of
Winter Springs, a Democrat and retired nurse. "He does not need to be taking care of people's lives if that's his mentality."

Cassell, a registered Republican, believes the sharply partisan, health-care overhaul pushed through by Democratic members of Congress and signed into law by President Barack Obama will harm his practice and thus his patients.

He was applauded for his chutzpah by many who dubbed him a hero.

"Doctor Jack's a true American patriot," said Dan Evans, 34, a Georgia truck driver who detoured from a delivery in
Apopka to shake the doctor's hand only to find the medical office is closed on Friday afternoons.

Sandra Boynton, 68, a retired Florida nurse now living in Idaho, described Cassell's sign as "repugnant" behavior.

"As a nurse, I was taught you don't refuse care to anyone based on anything that's your personal views," she said. "I simply cannot imagine any nurse behaving in this self-centered manner. This man is a disgrace to his profession."

Cassell told the Orlando Sentinel that he has not refused to treat any patient for his or her political views and does not quiz patients about their politics, but he also does not plan to take the sign down.

"I have plenty of Obama supporters in my patient base and we have a lot of political discussions. I'm not cutting anybody out of their care. I'm not refusing care on the basis of their political beliefs," he reiterated in an exchange with Cavuto. "I hope that more and more Obama supporters come through to find out what all the fuss is about because I think we have to do something about this."

But Cassell's former medical partner in Eustis, urologist Dr. James Young, 57, a self-described liberal Democrat, said a patient's politics should be no more important to a doctor than his favorite baseball team.

"It'd be like me saying I'm not going to treat a Cubs fan," said Young, a lifelong fan of the
St. Louis Cardinals. "There are a number of thoughtful doctors who feel like Jack and probably a like number who feel the exact opposite, but they're not going to put a sign on their door. As doctors, our chief concern should always be what's best for the patient."

Cassell's story, picked up by
The New York Times and driven by broadcast reports and conservative talk-show giant Rush Limbaugh, generated hundreds of e-mails and phone calls to the Orlando Sentinel from Web readers across the nation, a firm majority of whom not only support the doctor's view but also his right to voice them on his office door.

"I think he's saying, ‘If you voted for Obama, you made a decision and that decision has consequences,' " said Dr. William Crowley, 76, a retired neurologist living in Texas, who praised the doctor for provoking a discussion.

Margaret Taormino, 72, a retired social worker living in Tavares, expressed a common sentiment about Cassel.

"My husband and I don't need a urologist," she said, "but if we ever do, he's our guy."

Also found at http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/02/jack-cassell-doctor-refus_n_523076.html

When I read this, I couldn’t believe that a doctor would willingly bring his political opinions into the workplace, especially when his workplace is a place where he is responsible for some of the most sensitive issues for his patients (urinary system for males and females, also reproductive system for males).  This couldn’t help but remind me of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp76ly2_NoI&feature=related

Remember the storm?  When the “doctor” says that she will “have to choose between my job and my faith” I thought: if you can’t leave your personal beliefs and opinions at the door, you shouldn’t be in the medical profession.  I feel the same about this guy, he should just leave his political opinions at home and not bother his patients with them.  It is irresponsible and immature to use this kind of heckling of his new patients, who may already be nervous about the visit, about their political views.

In my opinion, this doctor is way out of bounds and being unnecessarily confrontational for his profession, but unfortunately he will probably not see a decrease in patients because of this little stunt. (He is already getting invited to TV shows to talk because of this—I’m sure the fame is exactly what he was going for with this act).  Would anybody here continue to see your doctors if they were to post a political opinion, of any kind, on their doors?  I personally wouldn’t, no matter the aggression level or the party affiliation.

Tags: doctor, obamacare, urology

Views: 1

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think its a disgrace to the medical profession to attack patients' personal opinions and beliefs, but as long as he's not actually refusing treatment to people he's within his rights to post the sign, unprofessional as it may be.
I wouldn't go to this doctor if for no other reason that I would not trust him not to 'accidentally' injure a patient he had political disagreements with.

RSS

Events

Blog Posts

Labels

Posted by Quincy Maxwell on July 20, 2014 at 9:37pm 13 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service