If you don't believe in God, can you say why in a single sentence or phrase?

For me it's two words...Birth Defects.

Tags: God, atheism, religion

Views: 3337

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Because I don't believe! :)

The existence of any sort of God is an entirely man-made construct almost as old as humankind itself, and had I been born thousands of years ago there would be people there telling me to believe in Thor, Zeus or Poseidon - but I don't see anyone strapping C-4 to themselves to appease Osiris or Wotan.

Prayer is nonsense.

Thank you, Brenny Sue. Truth doesn't get more succinct than that. I have an adjective I want to add.

Prayer is self-humiliating nonsense.

Folks, insert another modifier or append another noun to the above and let's see where it goes.

Humility is one attribute most sorely lacking today.

Prayer is a warm feeling.

Prayer makes you feel loved.

Prayer allows you to get thru the worst of times.

Prayer is the best way to feel connected with those around you.

Prayer has value to those who believe.

Even tho there is no one listening, maybe that doesn't matter.

But it can organize your thoughts before the next bite of absurdity hits. Anyway if you want 'god' to 'intrude', prayer might help. Sports, business plans, space flights, etc, can at times use a little help, if for no other reason but to relax our fears... 

Mike, Gregg, April Fools Day was weeks ago.

Ignorance is defined by an unwillingness to look at both sides of a coin, only by looking for the fullness of a subject can one's mind expand to a more complete level of understanding.

Closed minds whether Theist or Atheist are still closed.

That's true, Gregg, if it's also true that the contenders have about equal claim on reality.

For instance, let's say the contenders are discussing the earth's geology. When one contender asserts the earth's roundness and the other contender asserts its flatness, do the two views each merit a side of the same coin?

Mike, humility?

Catholicism puts a lot of effort into teaching children humility. When it succeeds, domination is much easier.

Gregg, in some of my writing I experiment with the pronouns. Try writing your above 2nd, 3rd and 4th lines with first person pronouns.

2. Prayer makes me feel loved.

3. Prayer allows me to get thru the worst of times.

4. Prayer is the best way to feel connected with those around me.

I found prayer useless.

Because I'm grown up and no longer afraid of the dark.

Gods are illogical, irrational, unreasonable, and impossible.

RSS

Forum

The Cross

Started by Belle Rose in Religion and the Religious, Atheism and Atheists. Last reply by Davis Goodman 42 minutes ago. 21 Replies

Help Think Atheist!

Started by David Smith in Theistic Arguments and Debate Help. Last reply by Simon Mathews 8 hours ago. 18 Replies

How do you cure Insanity???

Started by Belle Rose in Advice. Last reply by MikeLong 19 hours ago. 38 Replies

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service