If you are a non- believer, why be moral when no one is looking?

If you are a non- believer in, all that you do is being recorded in the heavens, why be moral when no one is looking?

If there are no records and no witness, why not do anything you want?

If no one sees you do it, then is it a deed not done?

If all of this is true, then why do we have a conscience, where did it come.

We are told in scriptures that our conscience is our natural way of doing God's will in the absence of his Law.

Views: 3464

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Blowing yourself up for Allah or god and taking others with you. Murdering doctors at an abortion clinic, just because you think god says abortion is wrong. Not getting your child medical care or attention when they need it; do nothing but pray and then watch as your child slowly dies. Doing everything your god, prophet or scripture tells you, despite the fact that by doing it you will hurt many people. That is the effect of abiding to religion's morals.
Wow, religions have some great moral people out there.

I am moral when no one is looking because I am not a douchebag. Also, because some "religious" morals aren't religious at all! They're just plain human.
Don't kill, don't steal, don't lie. These are all things that religious people tell us god has given us, while deep inside we all know that we wouldn't kill, steal or lie even if god HADN'T told us to.
If god had told us to murder, maim, steal, lie and cheat, would religious people do it? Well, yeah, they probably would. But would they feel okay about it? Probably not.

Morals have nothing to do with religion, just plain common sense and empathy.

Or at least, that's what I've been taught.

The thing is, the biblical record includes multiple instances of people doing utterly horrific things in the name of the Yahweh god, including sacrificing or preparing to sacrifice children, slaughtering babies, ham-stringing horses, raping and making sex slaves of women, stoning people to death, and so on and on an on.  Worse, it seems that many of these Yahweh followers feel quite good about it, not even just OK. 

Can you just hear it:

My god,

How gracious you are in your mercy towards me and your never ending love towards all mankind (I don't have to include women here, do I?) 

I worship thee, O Lord.  I have slaughtered the innocent in your name.  I have cut the throats of lambs and burnt their flesh for you on numerous occasions.  I have raped when you told me to rape and murdered when you told me to murder.  I have never failed to torture or mistreat animals or humans when you have demanded it.  I have been steadfast in my duty to stone my children for their disobedience and give my daughter to her rapist in marriage.  etc. etc.  etc.

Oh, what a good boy am I! 

Michael has more than proven that he is just a troll  - 'pushing' some primitive tribal beliefs.  Deal me out.

Well before you leave I hope you get a lot of sympathy from the pet chimpanzee that tore the face off the owners friend and also gouged her eyes out and bet off her hands. And don't snuggle up to close to the pitbull that recently mauled it's pregnant owner to death. Sure signs of a conscience being exhibited in lower species and clearly showing where we evolved from.

What a crock of nonsense. 

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Things you hate.

Started by Devlin Cuite in Small Talk. Last reply by Bernardo 1 minute ago. 86 Replies

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service