If you are a non- believer, why be moral when no one is looking?

If you are a non- believer in, all that you do is being recorded in the heavens, why be moral when no one is looking?

If there are no records and no witness, why not do anything you want?

If no one sees you do it, then is it a deed not done?

If all of this is true, then why do we have a conscience, where did it come.

We are told in scriptures that our conscience is our natural way of doing God's will in the absence of his Law.

Views: 3536

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Yes the scripture do address conscience. Just google consciousness toward god. 

Actually your view of the conscience is not the predominate one in this thread among atheist. 

I think a conscience is innate and not learnt. Do you think that if you were born into a family of cannibals you wouldn't  feel bad about dining out.

@Michael.

The conscience (or rather, moral reasoning) is processed by the frontal lobes of the brain.

Consciousness is mediated by the brain stem.

If I were to Google the term "conscioiusness toward god" I would not expect to find anything relevant to a discussion on the conscience - unless the writer were lysdexic or badly educated.

The person who proposes the claim has the burden of proof. How about you do the Googling and see if you can find anything relevant.  Bet you can't.

Because that is just what you do if you want to be a successful human. It's called having a personal set of morals one strives to uphold. To the specifics:

"If you are a non- believer in, all that you do is being recorded in the heavens, why be moral when no one is looking?"

Because it's being recorded in my own head and doing immoral acts will give me a massive case of cognitive dissonance.

"If there are no records and no witness, why not do anything you want?"

I just said I pay attention to my actions. Others quite often do too.

"If no one sees you do it, then is it a deed not done?'

I see it through my own eyes. But we've been over this.

"If all of this is true, then why do we have a conscience, where did it come."

Well, all of what I just said is true, and it gives me a conscience. Not wasting my life in church or indoctrinate my children into quasi-intellectualism gives me a clear conscience.

"We are told in scriptures that our conscience is our natural way of doing God's will in the absence of his Law."

If the end result is that you act morally appropriate in every circumstance then you are more than welcome to hold your beliefs. Personally, I take my morality from thousands and books and hundreds of persons I find to have acted with the utmost morals in difficult situations.

------------

To turn the question around: If you can simply get a quick forgiveness before death, what is moderating a Christian's morals? Why act morally when there is access to forgiveness? I don't have such a luxury and I can only receive forgiveness by individuals and society.

I 2nd this!

In principle Christian morales are good, in practice it has been abysmal .

On judgement day the hypocrites don't stand a chance. Better to be a moral atheist.

Amen to that!!

In principle Christian morales are good

Yes, they treat their slaves, which the bible tells them they can have, in a good manner. They have good morals.

Yep, I sure wish I was a slave to a christian.....each time I get beaten it is only ever so bad that a couple days rest will have me up and working again.

</sarcasm>

Which side do you think you are on, Michael.  Do you suffer from an identity disorder?

You do good stand up Prof. but the students think you are serious and join the bandwagon.

You do good stand up Prof. but the students think you are serious and join the bandwagon.

Funny, I think the same thing about the first people who preached religion. It started as a joke, but it soon got outta hand.

Christianity: One woman's lie about an affair that got seriously out of hand.

RSS

Atheist Sites

Forum

An atheist book for children?

Started by Leonard Deke in Small Talk 35 minutes ago. 0 Replies

Parents: help?

Started by Lee in Advice. Last reply by captain kingsway 42 minutes ago. 2 Replies

In Defense of ‘Islamophobia’

Started by Brian Daurelle in Society. Last reply by Gary Clouse 5 hours ago. 69 Replies

Blog Posts

In Avoidance of Anger

Posted by Pope Beanie on November 27, 2014 at 4:59pm 0 Comments

The plane that never crashed

Posted by Brazillian atheist on November 27, 2014 at 12:17pm 1 Comment

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service