If you are a non- believer, why be moral when no one is looking?

If you are a non- believer in, all that you do is being recorded in the heavens, why be moral when no one is looking?

If there are no records and no witness, why not do anything you want?

If no one sees you do it, then is it a deed not done?

If all of this is true, then why do we have a conscience, where did it come.

We are told in scriptures that our conscience is our natural way of doing God's will in the absence of his Law.

Views: 3509

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

http://www.mysteryandbeyond.org/sense/consc31.asp

This is a non-peer-reviewed response from a Christian Apologist.  If you want the same standard from this camp, you are extremely naive.

1. ISBN 0-1401-87650. pp. 95, 103, 106, 116, 126.
  2. ^ Anonymous. "Wild Justice and Fair Play: Animal Origins of Social Morality" (PDF). Retrieved 2007-01-16.
  3. ^Linden, Eugene (2000). The Parrot's Lament: And Other True Tales of Animal Intrigue, Intelligence, and Ingenuity. New York: Plume.ISBN 0452280680.
  4. ^Von Kreisler, Kristin (1999). The Compassion of Animals: True Stories of Animal Courage and Kindness. Rocklin, Calif.: Prima.ISBN 0761518088.
  5. ^ Gisela Kaplan. Australian Magpie: Biology and Behaviour of an Unusual Songbird. CSIRO Publishing, Collingwood. 2004. pp. 83, 124.  

These appear to be books and not peer reviewed papers published in Journals. Can you cite any peer reviewed papers?

Except for the articles (see the PDF), they are "peer reviewed" books, Michael.  Better than articles.

Go to your local university library and look them up.  Most librarians of State run universities are only too happy to help, even if you are not affiliated with the particular university.  If your alma mater has a decent library that stocks more than technical stuff the you could try there.  If you have a graduate library card (to they have these in the U.S.) then you can order these books on inter library loan.  If they are not rare you can usually get hold of them in a week or so. 

I am surprised you are not aware of these things.  I guess your academic training did not include a large helping of research skills and practice.  Restricted to applied technical stuff, perhaps?  That could explain why you are having such difficulty understanding why we do not buy your arguments or why it is that we paradoxically claim to have more education and experience in science, religion and Christianity than you and Reo do.  If you have never learned research skills then the best techniques for uncovering truth are not known to you and you might be expected to ignore them in favor of  unreliable methods that focus on feelings.

Sorry Rosemary this is completely  unacceptable,

unless your books are academic text that cite peer reviewed journals or other academic text. And you can forgo this condescending hogwash. I am published in the Journal of Computers and Chemical Engineering. My work was reviewed by PhD's in the field and not some profit oriented publishing house as in the case of yourself.

Except for the articles (see the PDF), they are "peer reviewed" books, Michael.  Better than articles.

Go to your local university library and look them up.  Most librarians of State run universities are only too happy to help, even if you are not affiliated with the particular university.  If your alma mater has a decent library that stocks more than technical stuff the you could try there.  If you have a graduate library card (to they have these in the U.S.) then you can order these books on inter library loan.  If they are not rare you can usually get hold of them in a week or so. 

I am surprised you are not aware of these things.  I guess your academic training did not include a large helping of research skills and practice.  Restricted to applied technical stuff, perhaps?  That could explain why you are having such difficulty understanding why we do not buy your arguments or why it is that we paradoxically claim to have more education and experience in science, religion and Christianity than you and Reo do.  If you have never learned research skills then the best techniques for uncovering truth are not known to you and you might be expected to ignore them in favor of  unreliable methods that focus on feelings.

I am published in the Journal of Computers and Chemical Engineering. My work was reviewed by PhD's in the field and not some profit oriented publishing house as in the case of yourself.

A link to your papers would be appreciated.

Though how could we be sure its the same person? There could be many Michael's published in that journal. We don't know your last name, nor what you look like.

There are 75 papers in the journal with an author named Michael.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleListURL&_method...

Michael,

You don't seem able to tell  peer reviewed material when you see it.  What do you think this one is? 

Gisela Kaplan. Australian Magpie: Biology and Behaviour of an Unusual Songbird. CSIRO Publishing, Collingwood. 2004. pp. 83, 124. 

Go look up "CSIRO" - and then come back here and apologize for being an idiot. 

Michael

Re:  your assertion that you were published in a peer review journal of computer and chemical engineering.

You state that your highest degree is an American Masters level degree. Ergo you were NOT the lead author on any paper that was published in a peer reviewed journal.  For all we know, you could have been a mere research assistant, doing whatever you were directed to do as part of the requirements for earning your U.S. level Master's degree. 

What that tells us all is that you have no qualms whatever about playing up your level of authority in an area if you think it will make people take your un-educated opinions more seriously.   This is one of the symptoms of a narcissistic personality.  This is not a good advertisement for your objectivity and integrity, is it?

So you're claiming that homo-sapiens didn't evolve from some other species but just popped into existence outta no where?

Evolution is a fluid process. It is subtle. Its not like one day there was species A with no hands & the next day they all evolved to species B with claws & then the third day they evolved to species C with opposable thumbs.

Here, this illustrates my point much better than I ever can - http://www.thinkatheist.com/photo/this-is-the-best-way-ive-ever

And this is exactly what I'm looking for in the paleontological record.

I've been searching for 35 years and there is nothing compelling in the paleontological record of hominids that confirms what is stated in that link.

And is there any conclusive or rather even remotely compelling evidence that suggests divine creation?

Exactly! 

Michael seems to think that raising doubt about some aspects of the evolutionary process is equivalent to providing evidence for his idea of how things work.  That is the logical equivalent of saying that a gap in the fossil record is evidence for the fact that aliens populated the planet. Or that finding that a logical sub-routine does not work on some computers is evidence that the sub-routine is faulty or that another version works just fine - without any evidence that it does. 

RSS

Blog Posts

The tale of the twelve officers

Posted by Davis Goodman on August 27, 2014 at 3:04am 4 Comments

Birthday Present

Posted by Caila Rowe on August 26, 2014 at 1:29am 13 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service