If you are a non- believer, why be moral when no one is looking?

If you are a non- believer in, all that you do is being recorded in the heavens, why be moral when no one is looking?

If there are no records and no witness, why not do anything you want?

If no one sees you do it, then is it a deed not done?

If all of this is true, then why do we have a conscience, where did it come.

We are told in scriptures that our conscience is our natural way of doing God's will in the absence of his Law.

Views: 3509

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

lol...your poor cat.  Actually, your poor self esteem--I can't imagine the cat doing much but blinking dispassionately.  I wonder about where some of these questions come from too, but then, there's a lot of mental contortion going on in the mind of a believer, so we shouldn't be too surprised.

It's a never ending cycle.

It is instinctive. Even bees and ants have social order.

You mean "If you are a BELIEVER why be moral?"

It says clearly "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live" so BECAUSE you believe god is watching, you have to do this immoral act. You can't do whatever you want as one who does not believe. It tells you quite specifically how you must act towards a witch. Immorally.

I, who am free to choose to be nice and say hello to the sexy vixen of a witch, might have a good time with her. The only burning would be passion.

It clearly says you must stone to death a person who so much as picks up sticks for firewood on the wrong day. You MUST stone him to death. You must act immorally. Commanded by god who is watching at all times- so you must. What stops you from doing these immoral acts?

You said as an atheist- you respected the rule of law of men- THAT kept you, but not your friends, in line. I say that Rules/Laws and our innate, evolved morality, are what still keep you from being one of god's peronal "helpers".

As we see daily in the papers, news, tv, and internet and in those old holy books- the displayed religious morality of suicide bombers, pro-lifers murdering people, 300 + years of the Inquisition, witch burning, Crusades, Fatwas, genital mutilation, no condoms, no birth control, pedo-priests and the cover-up, Sharia Law, 9/11, stoning, genocide... I wish this list didn't go on forever---"honor" killings, racism, homophobia and all the "us vs them" phobias, the rack, the chair, the Iron Maiden, the Maleous Malcrom ((sp?)- the ever so moral book on how to hunt, torture, and kill witches and warlocks), the burning and banning of books....prisons full of belivers, politics full of believers, the banning of stem cell research, anti-science, anti-intellectual, anti-progress...on and on and on...

Before you say that is a few bad apples using religion/scripture in the wrong way or interpreting the holy books wrong. These edicts, pograms, fatwas, and other crimes against humanity, were commited by many very devout, religious people, commanded by the highest, most exalted, most wise, and knowledgeable religious leaders, kings, and queens (also "divinely" guided and sometimes combined).

The problem, is religious people doing what they think is god's will in the absence of Man's law, the police, and rational thought.

The Malleus Maleficarum, Latin for "Hammer of the Witches"

Sorry- to lazy to open a new tab to get it correct this time...lol

The Malleus Maleficarum, Latin for "Hammer of the Witches"

It sounds VERY moral and it should be taught in school.

Hypocrisy is pervasive in Judeo-Christianity in practice, The list does not end.

The hypocrisy of the Pharisees and the Sadducees in Christ's day has translated into global Judeo -Christian hypocrisy that is consuming the planet.

No True Scottsman Christian Witch Hunter

So you are saying that christians should kill witches?

If witches=ann coulter, michelle bachman, etc, I condone them doing that ;)

In fact, I might help them build the pyre..

You are preaching to the Choir. I never said Christianity in practice is Good it is evil. 

The principles are not put in practiced. That 's what makes it evil. 

Europe has conquered the earth through Crusades and colonialism to make the inhabitants twice the servants of sin than they are.

If you only do good because you expect a reward in heaven or fear a punishment in hell you're not actually a good and moral person. It's literally the moral development stage of a child. That fits with the way religious people see themselves (sheep that need to be herded), but fortunately it's not really the way they behave, as much as they like to think so.

RSS

Blog Posts

The tale of the twelve officers

Posted by Davis Goodman on August 27, 2014 at 3:04am 4 Comments

Birthday Present

Posted by Caila Rowe on August 26, 2014 at 1:29am 6 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service