If you are a non- believer, why be moral when no one is looking?

If you are a non- believer in, all that you do is being recorded in the heavens, why be moral when no one is looking?

If there are no records and no witness, why not do anything you want?

If no one sees you do it, then is it a deed not done?

If all of this is true, then why do we have a conscience, where did it come.

We are told in scriptures that our conscience is our natural way of doing God's will in the absence of his Law.

Views: 3536

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Once again who did it get there and why?

Micheal, you sound like Bill O'Reilly, "Tide comes in, tide goes out". There is no "who".
Agreed. The dogma that occludes thought processes may cause a change in the brain and this turns into a robotic defense of a position without questioning its validity. As a FreeThinker, I believe the brain to be fluid, examining new ideas constantly,
always testing and experimenting and when the brain reaches a crystallized status where no new information is even acknowledged, then there may be a physiological impairment that needs to be addressed.

Maybe it is the other way around Michael? Maybe your god is an emulation of human conscience and the law of the land. Have you even considered that?

The operative here is still a conscience of which I contend is created by God. Animals do not evolve a conscience in a survival of the fittest scheme. This is a perplexing enigma among many social scientist. 

Michael, how long did you "consider" matt.clerke's statement before you typed that?

You can repeat the same thing over and over again as much as you want, it doesn't make it true. 

There is no enigma in the existence of "conscience" in humans, since no one has yet been able to define the word in such a way that would allow us to determine whether or not it exists in animals. If you define (i.e. posit by definition) "conscience" as necessarily human, you should not be surprised then that it is necessarily human. In order to claim that "conscience" does not exist in animals, you have to devise a test for that claim; and you can't test for something you can't define.

I have attached an article that has a premise, that dogs have a form of  conscientiousness as I have stated in another reply. However it is more of a spontaneous reaction as oppose to an abstract presence in the frontal lobes of man that continually smolders.

Pure gobbldygook.  Where on earth do you find this un-scientific rubbish?

Wow someone managed to isolate conscience from every other thought that fires neurons in the frontal lobe?

You should make sure the rest of the world knows this thats Nobel Prize material.
This is a robotic response that has no fact to back it up.

As a social scientist I have no knowledge of the "perplexing enigma" that is supposed to stump me. I don't even understand what you mean.  What do you think "survival of the fittest" means?  And how on earth does it relate to the development of the "conscience" (whatever you mean by that) or of other factors that assist group cohesion? 

Please define your terms clearly and provide reference to back up your assertions and your claims.

RSS

Atheist Sites

Forum

The Movie Kiss: Romance or Rape?

Started by Unseen in Society. Last reply by Cato Rigas 2 hours ago. 68 Replies

Parents: help?

Started by Lee in Advice. Last reply by Cato Rigas 2 hours ago. 9 Replies

In Defense of ‘Islamophobia’

Started by Brian Daurelle in Society. Last reply by Unseen 5 hours ago. 70 Replies

Blog Posts

In Avoidance of Anger

Posted by Pope Beanie on November 27, 2014 at 4:59pm 0 Comments

The plane that never crashed

Posted by Brazillian atheist on November 27, 2014 at 12:17pm 1 Comment

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service