If you are a non- believer, why be moral when no one is looking?

If you are a non- believer in, all that you do is being recorded in the heavens, why be moral when no one is looking?

If there are no records and no witness, why not do anything you want?

If no one sees you do it, then is it a deed not done?

If all of this is true, then why do we have a conscience, where did it come.

We are told in scriptures that our conscience is our natural way of doing God's will in the absence of his Law.

Views: 3557

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Which god Michael?  By what method do you deduce his existence?

so true.  it bothers me that for some, it has to take a watchdog (or watchgod?) to do what's right.

and should be motivated by the incentive of heavenly rewards & getting box seats next to the big guy or have to be threatened with the fiery tongues of hell. 

well then if that's how it works, it's no different from the earthly system of employee under a boss who will give you a big fat bonus if you kiss his ass and do everything he says or citizens who won't break the law for fear of being jailed.

I am moral because even though there is no god it is still pleasant to be pleasant.

You do not have to do good things because of a concept of an after life. you can do them to make everyones lives more pleasant.

we have a conscience because through evolution we developed an idea that staying in groups was more effective in survival. with language and the use of tools our ability to work as a community continued to evolve. eventually we developed the idea of doing good things because it will make things easier in the long run.

Please read above

Unbelievably rich coming from you Michael.  Please read the pages of comments that came before.

Michael, if you spent as much time reading Greek & Roman history & biographies of Roman Emperors as you have trolling on this site, you'd know that the bible Jesus was merely a composite of the dozens of saviors with which the Middle East & India were swamped with at that point in history. J.C. didn't really attain apotheosis until well into the 4th century. Constantine just felt he needed a new god to unite his sprawling empire. The council he convened & DIRECTED was to get agreement of sorts among so many differing sects - by vote. The few hundred 'bishops' who attended the conference were only a fraction of those professing belief in a savior. Those who could not, or would not agree were expelled. There is NOTHING new or original in the new testament. It is simply a sloppy compilation of the mythology spanning many centuries & a vast region. If Constantine's mother wasn't a believer in one of the sects, you'd be extolling the praise of Mithra, & Constantine's men would never have found 'the true cross' & the nails in that well in 325 CE. For Zeus sake, read some goddam history & biographies & save us all from the aggravation you have been afflicting upon us former believers.

Actually in one of my posts, I decry the Roman Pagan origins of what is heralded as Christianity whereas in fact it is the scrouge of the earth as prophesied in the Revelation.

It resides somewhere here among the thousand posts.

Why bother ? - it's a dialog of the deaf.

And disputed as sensible because it is just one of thousands of interpretations of that allegorical and highly ambiguous text.

Are you saying that it's moral or good to be pleasant? Fighting the Nazis and liberatiing the concentration camps wasn't pleasant. Horrific as wars can be, they can have good outcomes, even if at great cost.

Setting aside the questionable notion that you have an infallible innate sense for what is good, making people's lives pleasant can be complicated. Usually, when one makes one group happy, one is making another group unhappy.

Making things easier has proven to make things worse. Plastic grocery bags and those things that hold 6-packs together. Cars vs. horse-drawn carriages. The Internet has made so many things easier but is probably costing more American jobs than outsourcing and for many of us has become a huge time-waster (Facebook, ThinkAtheist, video games).

There is no such thing as god's will.  All that is out there is people claiming to know god's will and threatening me with harm if I don't follow their proclamations.  GIVE ME A BREAK!

Its biologically impossible for a person to have a child at 80.

Did you not get any sexual education.

For crying out loud your a woman and you dont even understand your own biological limitations.

RSS

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service