If you are a non- believer, why be moral when no one is looking?

If you are a non- believer in, all that you do is being recorded in the heavens, why be moral when no one is looking?

If there are no records and no witness, why not do anything you want?

If no one sees you do it, then is it a deed not done?

If all of this is true, then why do we have a conscience, where did it come.

We are told in scriptures that our conscience is our natural way of doing God's will in the absence of his Law.

Views: 4004

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Beat me to the punch. I was just going to cite that. lol

Righteous? No Ethical and moral, YES! Especially when compared to the so called Relgious, who think they have the game sewn up with their hypocritical righteousness.LOL :D:D:D

I simply don't trust a christian, just about every one I have met are devious, calculating and hiding very sinister thoughts - whereas I feel safe with an atheist - I know what they are thinking, 'cause there is no reason to hide anything.

See christian and RUUUUNNNN!!!!!

Can we establish this statistically?

Nooo, Atheists had no need to be counted as a general thing, therefore statistically hard to find. In Australia, more and more people are putting in their census, Atheist, rather than no religion. It will be interesting to see what the figures are.  

The only reason sites like this have been set up, to counter the abhorrent, vindictive, vicious, malicious hypocritical ravings of christians, which cause great pain, anguish and suicide amongst the young.

Where do you think Atheists come from, how do Atheists come to their conclusions. We have been through the religious system - read the same bible that you are reading, I think? and come out, some unscathed, but most severely damaged. But our groups are getting bigger and better every day. This is a Safe community, with much the same values, something you just don't find in any christian community. Delve a little, and you will find corruption, misogyny, and pedophilia. Just not my kind of community.

As usual I know the lovley Michael will not read our answers, nor comprehend them if he does.

I just don't think we are reading the same book????

You are right about all that. I would just like to point out that while deconverts and "raised religious but never believed" may be the majority among us, there are some lucky few who were raised in secular [or uncaring] households and so were never religious to start with. I envy these atheists. I was one of the "truly believed" deconverts who [as you put it] came out "severely damaged." I suspect that my diagnosed and documented depression and anxiety were probably a direct result of my religious faith. My faith was the destructive type: you know... where "you're never good enough" and "you're a sinner who needs to beg God's forgiveness so that you don't invoke his wrath." 

Those beliefs were enough to leave me with the mental scars that I battle with every day, [poor body image, depression, anxiety, obsessive need for approval of others.]

Religion is unhealthy. But the good thing is, my problems that religion gave me are starting to fade as I become more comfortable as an atheist. I still have a long way to go. [I've only been atheist for 2 years - as of May]. But, things are looking up.

"As usual I know the lovley Michael will not read our answers, nor comprehend them if he does.

I just don't think we are reading the same book????"

Just provide an excerpt that underscores your point that I don't read or comprehend your answers.  If not just reframe from unwarranted derogatory remarks, simply because I don't believe as you do.

Michael,

You do understand, right, that the only thing atheists actually have in common is a refusal to believe in thigns for which there is no evidence.  Here on this board we have all sorts of political and other views regularly expressed.  We have many different world views, types of morality, life-styles etc.

The thing that brings us together is just a rejection of belief in the irrational.

So no: you cannot put us in any other convenient little boxes.

Thanks for the civil answer. I appreciate that.

Righteous?!! No, there is no reason to think atheists are righteous for the simple and obvi

"most" may be too strong of a word. I would agree that MANY people who are christians are no [righteous is the wrong word] "ethical." 

First define what you mean by "righteous." Then we can talk, but be warned; you'll actually be required to listen to answers if there is to be a conversation. You haven't demonstrated much facility with that so far.

I define righteousness as adhering to Judeo-Christian ethics without hypocrisy.

I define righteousness as adhering to Judeo-Christian ethics without hypocrisy.

So you think you have the right to keep slaves & have sex with the female salves?

RSS

© 2018   Created by Rebel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service