If you are a non- believer, why be moral when no one is looking?

If you are a non- believer in, all that you do is being recorded in the heavens, why be moral when no one is looking?

If there are no records and no witness, why not do anything you want?

If no one sees you do it, then is it a deed not done?

If all of this is true, then why do we have a conscience, where did it come.

We are told in scriptures that our conscience is our natural way of doing God's will in the absence of his Law.

Views: 3504

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

But, but... you are allowed to believe that anything is possible whenever God exists!

Quite the opposite. You can only believe what is written in the Bible. Haven't you heard the Xians saying "I can't believe it..." all the time? In fact, we atheists can usually believe in anything that seems extremely unlikely or counter intuitive, as long as it has happened or is proven.

I mean, the Earth is spherical, can you believe it? The universe started with a big bang, can you believe it? We weren't created, we evolved. It's almost unbelievable. :)

Your mother is mistaken and misinformed.  So are you.

There are other problems with Abraham and Sarah's relationship that you and your mother have forgotten.  You should read the Biblical stories about them instead of making yourselves feel better by making stuff up.

According the Bible, Sarah is Abraham's half sister.  The biblical writers decided this was sinful some time later.  If you read the text carefully it suggests a whole lot of stuff that does not make any sense with what scientists  know about the age of the earth, with life span of people in those time and the bodies biological clock.  You end up with impossibilities that could not have happened and were almost certainly made up by the O.T. writers.   There is no independence evidence to support the biblical claims at all.

{Gen.20:12}  And yet indeed she is my sister; she is the daughter of my father, but not the daughter of my mother; and she became my wife.

Sarah age 65 years old, is the half sister of Abraham age 75, {Gen.12:4,}
So she is a beautiful woman at age 65, the Pharoah's may be age 80,
they are in the year 2083, 1983 before Christ, 427 years after the flood,
look at their environment, {Gen.14:1-18}, and next Sodom and Gomorrah.

Abraham is age 86, Ishmael is born, {Gen.16:16} when Ishmael is age 14,
Isaac is born, Abraham is age 100, {Gen.21:5,} year 2108, 1958 before Christ.
Sarah is age 90, she is much older when the next king finds her to be beautiful, he is probably aged 100 or more. {Gen.20:3,6,7,15}

Year 2515, 1551 before Christ, Moses and Aaron give the incest law and
no one can marry their half sister or aunt [ their mother is their fathers aunt, {Exo.6:20} ]

So I was asking my mom about why God.....

Didn't you say that your mom didn't believe in jesus?

I believe these are your words from this comment.

My mother always believed in a higher being but was not a Christian and did not read the Bible nor attend church.

So your mother isn't a very reliable source, now is she. Unless she has joined you in your cult.

Akshay, Reo says somewhere else that her mother was also converted to her brand of Christianity.  They make an invincible family reinforcing module.  There is a reason why JWs always proselytize in pairs - it stops them being influenced by external arguments.

It would be almost hopeful for the poor deluded creature that she came here and is in fact getting more external argument than most people in her position.

Unfortunate part is she cant put down her proselytizing ways long enough to actually read what is said.

Wow, this reminds me of a soap opera I saw once. Second rate fiction!

The way I understand it, morality has evolved with our brains through the benefits of cooperation. 

If something is "immoral", it must have a negative effect another person or society. There aren't many things we can do while in the privacy of our own homes that can be considered "immoral" by this standard. Take, for instance, masturbation, crude an example as it might be. It's a male necessity that the Bible deems immoral. But for what? 

in the hopes that others will learn from my example, and not do me wrong when i am not watching them.  it's simple self preservation.  i prefer to live in a civil society as it really increases my chances of not being murdered or robbed.  i can choose to contribute to the civility of that society by treating others as i would have them treat me in the hopes that they will treat me well in return. 

1) Empathy is an evolved trait, since it increases the survival potential of those who feel and apply it.

2) Morality contributes to self-respect, whether or not someone sees it.

3) Immoral, unethical, or illegal behavior risks secular society's disapproval and punishment.

Religious people apparently believe that only God is keeping them from being evil, which says a lot about religious people, doesn't it.  God apparently didn't do much to prevent Lutheran deacon, Dennis Rader (BTK), from randomly murdering people for 20 years.  Statistically, most serial killers were raised in strict Christian homes.  Adolf Hitler (contrary to what Fox News claims) was a Catholic.       

Dale, you might want to reword that.  It sounds as if you are implying that there are no serial killers in non-Christian countries.  I very much doubt that.

RSS

Forum

Deepak's challenge

Started by Davis Goodman in Small Talk. Last reply by Belle Rose 57 minutes ago. 20 Replies

It happened

Started by Belle Rose in Atheist Parenting. Last reply by Davis Goodman 2 hours ago. 70 Replies

Disorders of Sex Development

Started by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp in Small Talk. Last reply by Tor Hershman 5 hours ago. 3 Replies

Living freely.

Started by Quincy Maxwell in Society. Last reply by Gallup's Mirror 8 hours ago. 21 Replies

What is the purpose of gender

Started by Christopher Swicegood in Small Talk. Last reply by Heather Spoonheim yesterday. 56 Replies

Events

Blog Posts

Labels

Posted by Quincy Maxwell on July 20, 2014 at 9:37pm 0 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service