If you are a non- believer, why be moral when no one is looking?

If you are a non- believer in, all that you do is being recorded in the heavens, why be moral when no one is looking?

If there are no records and no witness, why not do anything you want?

If no one sees you do it, then is it a deed not done?

If all of this is true, then why do we have a conscience, where did it come.

We are told in scriptures that our conscience is our natural way of doing God's will in the absence of his Law.

Views: 3509

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

It's not a "preference" to adhere to promises such as a marriage contract, it's a demand.

Would you still honor your word and name if your wife was condemned for brutally raping an infant? What if she cheats or elopes, what recourse are you left with except taking her back?

lol, I thought when you said end the frustration, you meant 'never getting sex again so relax and do something else'

"The stars of Hollywood aren't real stars at all since they are always setting a bad example by divorcing at every instance and engaging in infidelity."

should read:

"Christian Baptists and Evangelicas  aren't real Christians  at since they are always setting a bad example by having the highest divorce rates of any religious group.  No Christian group is a real Christian one because they all have average divorce rates that are far higher  than the average divorce rate of non-believers."

Think again, boy!

This is a little know fact in the U.S. semi-theocracy. 

Behavioral scientists have shown that sexual indulgence of some satisfying form is required to keep a sexual relationship healthy and an individual physically and mentally healthy.  Babies die from lack of human touch, adults fail to thrive with regular sexual release. 

Of course, this does not fit in well with the repressive sexuality taught by adherents to American Fundgelicism, Catholicism, Calvinism or a heap of other factions of the Abrahamic religions.

As an atheist, shouldn't I just be 'ok with my heathen, animal instincts?'
or whatever it is you're getting at?
So tell me then, why is it when I see some totally hot piece of ass walk by and think "Oh my god, I need to tap that." my first feeling is utter revulsion if I find out they are underaged?
I don't even mean a lot underaged, either. I mean 17 and 3/4ths for all the difference it made to me when I was younger.
My body might say one thing...but when my mind knows 'wrong' it just plain knows 'wrong' on every single level.

I can identify but I'm not sure I would say I'm experience revulsion. I see a sexy 16 year old as sexy. In evolutionary terms, they are a viable vehicle to spread my seed so why wouldn't I be attracted. What stops me is not wanting to expose myself to what how our puritanical culture reacts. I'm not willing to give up my life for sex with anybody.

But how different would the picture be if some illness swept the land making every woman over 15 sterile? I think we would see that cultural norm get revised. (BTW, I'm gay so I chose women, who I like very much, for this example because it just doesn't work the other way). 

Well, in an alternate universe, one where our species is threatened, I think the morality of reproduction would be greatly revised.
That's all society's morality is, right? Popular opinion?
I take that into consideration when I build my values.
-And yes. I am only 28. I am still learning what my values are-
But it's only a token nod toward society in general when I consider my own morality.
Know why?
Because I've lived all over the world. I've seen society's moral justice from a lot of different cultures. I take what makes sense with me and reject what doesn't.
So for me. Personally. As a non-breeder. As a person who views sexuality purely from the recreational side of things...
I believe that informed consent is paramount.
..and every person is different.
Some people reach emotional maturity earlier than others.
Some never reach it at all.
..and the line that I personally consider as emotional maturity keeps moving as I age. :)
But even if it didn't, for me as an adult, the lowest standard should be another adult.
Granted, when I was a teen, it was different.

But my values on the matter actually override my natural instincts for mating. Just like my values on any matter override a conflicting natural instinct.
I can think a guy is hot until I find out his younger-than-estimated age. The moment I do, all feelings of attraction cease.
Again. This is just something about myself. I'm not speaking for anyone but me.
Superb response to a nonsensical question.

There are some kids who will behave as long as their parents, a teacher or an elder is near by watching them, but as soon as they are gone those kids will come into their own & start a ruckus. And there are some kids who will always behave, even if under no adult supervision.

Atheists are the latter kind.

I think logic, common sense & common courtesy dictates that we act in a way you would call moral. That is what you do when you live in a society.

Unlike theists we don't need someone watching over us to behave.

I think you should read The Moral Landscape : How Science Can Determine Human Values by Sam Harris

When I was an Atheist, the fear of the Law of the Land because of the consequence of break it, was enough to keep me in line. But not so much some of my friends. 

When I was 7, my friend and I lit a fire in the woods next to his house and ran. When confronted with this by his parents I disavowed all knowledge of the incident and blamed it completely on my friend. My conscience was on fire. I could barely function for at least a week.

Yet now you spread the biggest lie ever told. 

Your conscience must be exploding. How do you find the ability post?

We have something that the animal kingdom does not have.

The Law of the Land and a conscience  that emulates God.

Without this emulation, there would be anarchy in the streets.

We have a God/morality  vacuum that must be filled by the above to survive as a species and for planet earth to survive us. 

RSS

Blog Posts

The tale of the twelve officers

Posted by Davis Goodman on August 27, 2014 at 3:04am 0 Comments

Birthday Present

Posted by Caila Rowe on August 26, 2014 at 1:29am 3 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service