If you are a non- believer, why be moral when no one is looking?

If you are a non- believer in, all that you do is being recorded in the heavens, why be moral when no one is looking?

If there are no records and no witness, why not do anything you want?

If no one sees you do it, then is it a deed not done?

If all of this is true, then why do we have a conscience, where did it come.

We are told in scriptures that our conscience is our natural way of doing God's will in the absence of his Law.

Views: 3520

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Your mythical historical god has no conscience if you define conscience as a caring, nurturing and humanitarian entity.  Dawkins says, the god in the bible is "One of the most unpleasant characters in all of literature".

Once again, the point of "fittest" is that Darwin never mentioned "The Survival of the Fittest".  This was Herbert Spencer.

I believe you have now stated the same argument four times. If God created an undefined conscience in us, what created said undefined conscience in God? A better question is perhaps what created God to begin with? To question another argument of yours, you say feral dogs flock together to create packs, so why have humans been doing the same thing for thousands of years? It's an instinct. Conscience may possibly just be the ability to recognize the necessity for order within a semi-organized society.

Michael... please read "The Moral Landscape" By: Sam Harris... then come back and continue this discussion.
http://www.amazon.com/Moral-Landscape-Science-Determine-Values/dp/1...

If we're made in the image of your Palestinian god, then why are we not invisible?

Also can you ask him/her/it a question for me please? Why does he apparently award humans with petty prizes and material stuff? And why does he fix football games?... yet he allows worms to burrow into the eyeballs of children. Some morality... don't you think? I think if your god exists, he is at best impotent and at worst evil. Either that or he doesn't exist. Which of the two do you think more likely? I think that's a fair question. Thanks.

Judeo-Christian hypocrisy pervades the planet.

Case in point, clearly it is written do not  divorce your wife, yet divorce and remarriage is rampant in Judeo-Christian circles. And now Lesbian and Gay priests which are oxymorons.

Really?  Oxymorons eh?

I wonder what the many Lesbian and Gay priests in the world would think of this?

Are you a homophobe too?  If so presumably you blame your imaginary friend for that piece of horrible 'morality' too?

Michael: why are you here?  Really - I really want to know.

"now" Lesbian and Gay priests??? I assure you: there have been Gay priests since the beginning of the Church. It's not a new phenomenon at all. 

And priests have been fiddling little boys and little girls for the entire history of the Church as well. The only difference is that until recently, no one had the power to call them out on it.

Michael, your dogma adds to the Judeo-Christian hypocrisy that you derogate.  Whenever you rely on religious doctrine or dogma, you will always have inconsistencies.

Religion itself as an antidote for human ills and concerns is an oxymoron.

It is also clearly written that cheeky adolescents be stoned by the community of the faithful, and rapists should marry their victim and people must not wear cloth that is made of more than one substance or handle pigskin or ...Oh, just read your Bible, man.  Don't ignore any of Leviticus.  After all, it contains the Top Ten Commandments which the Jesus Sacrifice apparently did not negate.

There are lots of really horrible and inhumane rules that the Bible says are required by the Jewish or Jesus god but very few of them are taken notice of today.  How do you explain why you, too, pick and choose which commandments you will follow and which you will not. 

There are over 600 of them in the Old Testament including an Upgrade of the Ten Commandments (which god's perfect memory reduces to Nine).  I dare you to follow every one of them during the next month. 

Good luck with escaping a prison sentence.

'god' is also a product of the human brain. He/she/it was created when man needed an explanation of things he couldn't...

Yes, 'god' is just a place holder explination of what we dont understand. Too bad some cant let go of the bookmark once the real answer is found. >_/p>

The ability to even contemplate God, is not found among higher primates and therefore has no mechanism to evolve in a survival of the fittest evolutionary scheme. And since 97 percent of our DNA is common with primates, it begs the question, how can such complex neural circuitry evolve given the drivers of evolution and the short expands of time since our departure from our common ancestor with these species. 

RSS

Blog Posts

coexist

Posted by aubrey knows nothing * on October 23, 2014 at 9:25pm 1 Comment

A Life-Changing Confrontation

Posted by Belle Rose on October 23, 2014 at 2:55am 7 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service