If you are a non- believer, why be moral when no one is looking?

If you are a non- believer in, all that you do is being recorded in the heavens, why be moral when no one is looking?

If there are no records and no witness, why not do anything you want?

If no one sees you do it, then is it a deed not done?

If all of this is true, then why do we have a conscience, where did it come.

We are told in scriptures that our conscience is our natural way of doing God's will in the absence of his Law.

Views: 3505

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

How could one do that? It seems impossible when the bible from which such "ethics" comes from condones an action in one spot and condemns it under penalty of death in another. What good is having a rule book that says "You must not kill" in one spot but then "if a person tries to get you to follow other gods you must not have mercy on them but stone them to death," in another?

Brilliant, articulate reply. Go Sky.

^_^

Your conscience is your sense of self. It is a huge part of our Ego and our Id. It comes from within our own minds. It is part of having a frontal lobe. No one, God or otherwise, has gifted us with a conscience, it is something that we develope as thinking beings. To answer the question "where did our conscience come from" we would have to answer the question "where did we come from", which no one has been able to do yet, hence the huge "Evolution vs Creation" debate.

Look at it this way: 1) We think up things for ourselves to do; 2) we do those things; 3) we observe what results out of the things we have done; 4) we think about the things we have done and the results that it has produced and we form an opinion about said results. If the results of what we have done (or failed to do, in some cases) are disagreeable or undesirable in some way, if they don't measure up to our moral standards*, this upsets us and causes a chemical reaction in our mind - that which we call an emotion. In this case the emotion would be guilt or something close to it.

* Note: Moral standards don't come form a God either. They are a set of do's and don'ts that we have all, as individuals, set up in our minds based on our experiences in this world. We all have a different moral code because we all experience the world in different ways.

So, that's where the consceince comes from, but why follow it if no one is looking? Well, not all of us do! There are plenty of people who will commit  any number of transgressions because they know that no one is looking and that they will probably get away with it. Heck, there are plenty of people who will do bad things whether anyone is looking or not! People like this either don't have a high moral code or they have a mental condition that overrides their moral code (schizophrenia, Psychosis, etc...) so it is not even going to weigh heavily on their conscience after the deed is done; simply because it has not offended any rule that they have made for themselves (in their mind).

Those of us with higher moral standards would never, or seldom, do something we deem as 'wrong' or 'bad', even if there was no one looking at the time the opportunity presents itself, simply because we would have to live with OURSELVES after the fact. It makes no difference if anyone sees us or not; we know that we did it and we know that it was wrong. Even though there is no God(s) watching us and judging us, we have the desire to be a good person and we won't feel like a good person if we go around doing bad things - with or without witness.

It is as simple as that - at least for me it is!

Peace!

The operative here is still a conscience of which I contend is created by God. Animals do not evolve a conscience in a survival of the fittest scheme. This is a perplexing enigma among many social scientist. 

Animals may have not evloved a conscience YET, but who is to say they will not?

Furthermore, we, as children, are not born with a perfectly devloped conscience. No, no... we have to endure many years of mistakes, wrong doings, etc.... before we developed a good sense of right and wrong. If we were, indeed, born with a perfect, developed conscience, then you may have a leghold on the truth, here, but we are, in fact, not. Parents have to teach their children that it is wrong to hit other people, or take their things without permission (steal), or eat their oatmeal when they are not looking (lol). You have to learn what behaviors are acceptable in our society and what behaviors are not acceptable. You, as a person, had to make many, many mistkes in your life to get where youare today. (Learning from your mistakes is a part if developing your conscience.) When we are children, we just don't know that some behaviors are wrong until we perform them and see how we have hurt others with our actions. If a conscience were a gift from your God, we would not have any of that. We would be born with an inate sense of right and wrong.

If you don't have children of your own, you may not understand what I am saying to you; I understand that. If not, go and spend some time at a daycare or preschool and look at how the toddlers treat eachother. It is a learning experience, let me just tell you. They hit, bite, pull hair, steal eachothers' toys, etc...

You may say: yes, but where did that original conscience come from? Someone had to learn it frome somewhere, originally, right? Well, no. Look at the history of the human race. We, like children, had to learn through many, many mistakes, as a race, to get a firm grip on what we should and should not do to eachother. And we still don't really 'get' it, else there would be no more wars, oppression, etc. But centuries ago, we did not have nearly the mentality that we do now. There was no USA, land of the free. We all lived in smaller, more controlled countries. Usually with some oppressive king, lord, barron, or what have you ruling over us and all that we do. I know that still goes on in the world, but we have come a long way since the Dark Ages.

We, as a race, are still developing our conscience.

There is no god up there giving us this gift we call a conscience. We have had to come up with that one all on our own, my friend!

Peace 

If a conscience has one creator.. why do we all not have the same conscience?

You can contend what you like Michael: you still believe in (disgusting) fairy tales and come here to troll.  You don't read the answers that are patiently if sometimes exapseratedly given to you.

Why do you not learn something about yourself from this?

I repeat myself, I repeat myself, I repeat myself, I repeat myself, I repeat myself, I repeat myself, I repeat myself, I repeat myself, I repeat myself....

Repeating something over and over does not make it so. 

"Evolution versus Creationism debate"
This "debate" is only among laypeople. In science, it is over, LONG over.
There is no doubt anymore... evolution is a fact. Scientists even take that for granted in their conversations with one another.

here is one of many an example for the argument of the "genetics of morality". http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2009/9/15/prof-discusses-morality...

morality is in our DNA or civilization would have killed itself off before it began.

The operative here is still a conscience of which I contend is created by God. Animals do not evolve a conscience in a survival of the fittest scheme. This is a perplexing enigma among many social scientist.  If it is in the DNA, how did it get there?

RSS

Blog Posts

People

Posted by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp on July 28, 2014 at 10:27pm 1 Comment

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service